Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More tail issues!

Ahhhh. I have to give Gaui an "F" on the tail rotor design. Something has to be off.

First the pitch slider failed, then the hub bent (luckily mine did not snap off) now the tailshaft bearing totally disintegrates in flight.

I'm replacing as much as possible with an align 600 tail. I can't stay tuned to see what the next thing to go will be. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367792551.070708.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	418086

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sucks. Im getting worried about putting mine in the air, Im still buying parts to put it together. Sounds like I need to look at some tail parts too.
Bigugly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It seems like so many people are having problems with this heli. I want to buy one but I have seen too many mechanical failures do to poor manufacturing/parts.
ahperson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

do x5 tail parts fit it ? dude i have had a x5 for a year and never ever had a tail issue.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the same tail hub as the x5 they had a bad batch of tail hubs jc at empire sent me a new tail hub bf I even got my nx4 lol it's Ben great
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
Ahhhh. I have to give Gaui an "F" on the tail rotor design. Something has to be off.

First the pitch slider failed, then the hub bent (luckily mine did not snap off) now the tailshaft bearing totally disintegrates in flight.

I'm replacing as much as possible with an align 600 tail. I can't stay tuned to see what the next thing to go will be. Attachment 418086

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Is your heli older or from a recent batch?
Bigugly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is from a per-order. I realize Gaui does not make the bearing but it's getting old having the tail breaking piece by piece. I "forgot" I have another kit and have already changed out the parts. Will see. If this fails, I will be changing whatever I can to align.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Last edited by tauscnc; 05-06-2013 at 08:55 AM..
tauscnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I will be changing whatever I can to align
Ouch! That statement can't make Gaui very happy to hear. Maybe they will address these issues in mass instead of reacting to individual crashes....
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would be good to know what batch of kits was affected by this "bad batch" if it's known to the suppliers?
Si_B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like to me its been going on for a while with the X5. It would be different if this was a new tail system/design just for the NX4 but its the same as the X5 and now the X4II also it seems.

Like it or not, it is what it is... I have not had one issue with the Align tail. Infact I will have to say my 450, 600, and 700 just keep flying, day after day, tank after tank. Also the pitch slider mech of the newer tails on the Align is sooooooo nice with the double input and bearings. I would have loved to see that system on the NX4.

(I take that back I did have the tail hub break on me on the V2 version of the 450, so going back like 5-6 yrs.)

It's just getting old. I never know what next tail part is going to break and when. For the price of the kit it should be more consistent.

Will see - Problem is I really like flying it!

tauseef
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE-TRex700-PerformanceTailControl-installed-500x330[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	418246  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which size tail you have on your NX 600 ? And is it the whole unit,
Blade3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3d View Post
Which size tail you have on your NX 600 ? And is it the whole unit,
I assume you mean T-Rex 600? I had the stock tail witht he upgrated all aluminum, bada bling pitch slider mechanics. I don't have the 600 anymore but have the 450 and 700.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sounds like to me its been going on for a while with the X5. It would be different if this was a new tail system/design just for the NX4 but its the same as the X5 and now the X4II also it seems.

Like it or not, it is what it is... I have not had one issue with the Align tail. Infact I will have to say my 450, 600, and 700 just keep flying, day after day, tank after tank. Also the pitch slider mech of the newer tails on the Align is sooooooo nice with the double input and bearings. I would have loved to see that system on the NX4.

(I take that back I did have the tail hub break on me on the V2 version of the 450, so going back like 5-6 yrs.)

It's just getting old. I never know what next tail part is going to break and when. For the price of the kit it should be more consistent.

Will see - Problem is I really like flying it!

tauseef
Are the booms the same size. I have to admit that that tail does look nice. Can we just swap tail units??
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is odd as the X5 just doesn't seem to have any tail issues. There was a dodgy batch of pitch sliders but apart from that it seems to be a well tested, reliable tail assembly.

Might solely be down to the nitro vibrations so maybe the NX4 is just harder on it than even the X5 and it needs beefing up.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I ment was did you do a complete tail swap with the Align and which one ?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried the T-Rex 600 but the boom is about 1 mm larger. It is loose on the gaui boom but one could wrap tape around the boom to make up for the gap. The drive shaft size is the same. It should/would work but is not a simple plug and play fit like the fan.

I think the simpler option is to use the T-Rex 600 tail, hub, and pitch slider. Keep the everything else gaui.

Put the trex tail on the inner hole and you will need a small spacer in the pitch slider ball.

It is sad that one has to consider doing this on this new kit. But it's better then crashing.

I have fixed mine with the second kit I have for now. Fingers crossed.

tauseef
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: More tail issues!

Quote:
I tried the T-Rex 600 but the boom is about 1 mm larger. It is loose on the gaui boom but one could wrap tape around the boom to make up for the gap. The drive shaft size is the same. It should/would work but is not a simple plug and play fit like the fan.

I think the simpler option is to use the T-Rex 600 tail, hub, and pitch slider. Keep the everything else gaui.

Put the trex tail on the inner hole and you will need a small spacer in the pitch slider ball.

It is sad that one has to consider doing this on this new kit. But it's better then crashing.

I have fixed mine with the second kit I have for now. Fingers crossed.

tauseef
This is an expensive kit and you shouldn't have to do this. I've seen quite of few deals that I have passed on just for this reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
ahperson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks I thinks that"s what I will do use the hub and slider and true with the cost of this kit we need to do this ,, the part I like is Gaui is doing nothing nothing it seems like to them there is no problem just buy the kit and crash.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok awesomeness is back. Did 3 flights back to back and so far so good. All gaui parts. The real problem is its a super fun and stable machine to fly and sips fuel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367947570.282088.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	418563

Hope it continues.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been fed up with tail, 7 flights in ,crashed twice. Both mechanical. First slider failure, saved on auto. Empire replaced slider, Second tail grip hub sheared off in flight , not so lucky an auto. About $100 damage.Even a boom support went through my fuel tank! No replacement parts there,,,,So I decided on couple things, First, needs larger blades for better auto's! And the tail SUX!. So with that being said, I'm going different route, Going to go belt drive tail, older style, and stretch to "500"
Spin 473s and see how it goes. Parts are on order and should be in today/ tomorrow.
Going to cut down x5 boom and use a Hurricane "500" belt. (they made 3 versions for the hurricane.425, 500, 550) and some misc parts from x5 belt drive and hurricane, We'll see how it goes. Maybe I can finish tuning and actually fly the "BI%$H!"
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in