Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HK500GT Electronics

I just bought a HK500GT kit from Hobbyking and am curious if there are any good budget setups for the Electronics. Ive found a few options on HK website but so many choices, anyone have any Insight on this?
Squid90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 HK500GT's. Two are in scale fuselages, and one is still pod and boom. Thing is, once you go into a 500 class and higher, you really don't want to go cheap on the electronics.

Regardless if your into scale or 3D.....it pays off to go with quality electronics. If your on a budget, and your looking at servos, look for hi-speed servos with metal gears. On the ESC, I would look at HobbyWing (not HobbyKing) ESC, and a external BEC.I like the futaba gyro, and the HobbyKing Turnigy series motors.
WildBird22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For budget electronics I wouldn't go too cheap on a 500. A 450 is a different story if it is just for a beater. I would go with something like hitecs or hyperions for cyclic. An align 520 or futaba 9257 works fine for the tail. The esc I would go hobbywing at the lowest. Turnigy motors work fine, or the align, or you could probably find a used scorpion on here for a good price. Don't go too cheap though...Hope I helped!
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The YEP speed controllers are pretty good, their orange RX DSM2 receivers are awesome, and I've had success with the TGY-930 digital metal gear servos from HK (with the metal arms from the helicopter upgrades section). I'm also using their batteries because their prices cannot be bettered.

The rest of the HK electronics aren't very good, although I haven't tried that new 1300kv/1500w motor they have. Most of their motors are for 5 cell setups, their BEC's are terrible, I use a Castle Creations BEC PRO, Align DS420 on tail, and an E-flite G201 gyro.

Some HK stuff works great. You just have to know what works and what's crap. They come out with new stuff all the time. BTW I would recommend that you replace your tail hub with Align because the screws that hold in the tail blade grips are too brittle, and tend to wear down and snap after a few flights.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using a 100amp YEP and I've used the Turnigy 500H motor. I'm using DS510s on the cyclic and a DS525 on the tail.

The ds510's are getting harder to find. The DS515 are about $40 each.

I remember reading guys using the Turnigy MG930 servos. I'm not sure what they're using on the tail.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am using thr mg930 on one of my helis and been over a year no problrms as yet
9257 futaba tail servo
hk500 1800 kv motor castle creations 75 amp esc
the heli just flys
using curtise young mini g gyro
trex esp 500 fbl
AKPhill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh hey phill i remember you from mikeysrc hows it going
anyways my 500GT has been going strong for well over a year now its pretty budget

hk500GT kit "battery tray mod"
ds515 on cyclic
ds525m on tail
robird g31 fbl
sk3 1600kv motor
100amp YEP
all align shafts, gears
hk 500 dfc clone head
align 500 pro tail grips "500gt grip bolt still snaps"
rjx B grade flybarless blades
align 500 plastic white tail blades.
align 500 skids.

that as cheap as i was willing to go on a 500 sized bird but i love it and it flys very nice heres a vid

500 DFC G31 Smooth (3 min 45 sec)
Raptor 50 Flybar - os50 sx-h
rotceh_dnih is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in