Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I remove leaky OS 32 from old Shuttle Plus?

Hi Folks:

This heli sat around for over 7 years. Lke car motor, I assume the seals and gaskets dry up.

I am not sure though what model OS 32 I have in my 8 year old Shuttle PLus:

32-SX-H
32-FH
32 F-HS
32 F HX

It says "2907" on the bottom of it. All I know is it has enough powerr to lift the Shuttle and hover it and that's fine for me. But it leaks all over the place: the heat sink and glow plug boot are covered in oil, the sides near the exhaust are wet and it the plastic gas tak where the fuel line goes in is wet. I triied putting some permatix sealant around that entry point an it did not work. So sometime in the future I would like to remove the engine and replace all the gaskets. A new 32 costs around $180 but gaskets and my time are much cheaper.

I searched all over the internet for a video on how to remove a nitro engine from a heli and found nothng. Can someone either post a link or start me out on the right foot?

For example does the engine come out from the bottom or the back? What are the first screws to remove? Those holding the exhaust in? I have no clue on where to start. And I know there is always the aha moment when you figure something out. I just don't want to break anything getting to that moment

Thanks,

Bob
1996celt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Remove the muffler - two bolts
Remove the fan shroud - four screws
Remove the link from the throttle servo
Remove the carb - looosen one nut and pull out
Remove the rear skids - not nessasary but easier for the following
Remove the four bolts that hold the engine in place
Pull engine down and out

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's been awhile, but I'll give it a shot. First disconnect the throttle servo linkage, then remove the muffler, fan shroud, fuel lines, needle valve and needle valve keeper spring. Then remove the four machine screws holding the motor mount to the frames. Now the motor will drop out the bottom of the heli. If required the motor can be removed from the motor mount by removing the four machine screws that attach the motor to the mount.

FYI there is only two gaskets that could possibly go bad and that's highly unlikely. That's the backplate gasket. If you remove the backplate you will surely destroy the gasket so make sure you have one on hand. The other is a rubber "O" ring under the carburetor.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill

Last edited by capebob; 07-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot to remove the fan shroud
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Mark and Capebob. I cut and pasted both of your threads into notepad and will use them for sure.

Regards,

Bob
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebob View Post
It's been awhile, but I'll give it a shot. First disconnect the throttle servo linkage, then remove the muffler, fan shroud, fuel lines, needle valve and needle valve keeper spring. Then remove the four machine screws holding the motor mount to the frames. Now the motor will drop out the bottom of the heli. If required the motor can be removed from the motor mount by removing the four machine screws that attach the motor to the mount.

FYI there is only two gaskets that could possibly go bad and that's highly unlikely. That's the backplate gasket. If you remove the backplate you will surely destroy the gasket so make sure you have one on hand. The other is a rubber "O" ring under the carburetor.

Bob
Hi Bob:

After I saved your thread I read it carefully. You said, "FYI there is only two gaskets that could possibly go bad and that's highly unlikely. " So if the gaskets have not deteriorated, could something else cause leaks? I have only owned the shuttle for 1 month. Up to now I have only owned Eflite electric helis. But I love anything that burns hot, is loud and stinky and is this much fun

The engine (heli) sat in storage for almost 8 years and was only started twice I was told after the guy built it. So I was just guessing at the seals and gaskets. I have tried to tighten the bolts like those 6 in the heatsink but I can not get an allen wrench in there (too tight) to tighten with any torque. Tightening bolts with the engine in the heli seems impossible. Is it "normal" for the heatsink and other bits to have oil on them after running?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It may be as simple as the muffler leaking at the cylinder. Pull the muffler off, clean well with some brake parts cleaner. Same to the exhaust port. Put it back togeather with some high temp silicone and see what happens.
kenh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh View Post
It may be as simple as the muffler leaking at the cylinder. Pull the muffler off, clean well with some brake parts cleaner. Same to the exhaust port. Put it back togeather with some high temp silicone and see what happens.
Thanks Ken..I can do that ...hopefully something simple.

Bob
Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah it need to come out and get the once over. Pull the head off and the gasket. Turn the shim/gasket 90 degrees and then put the head pack on or flip it over. This gives a new surface to seal on. I always put a little blue locktight on the tip of the screws and and torque the head back on. You don't have to wrench on the bolts either. Snugg them down in crossing pattern and then give then all a good snugg. Exhaust ports with paper or metal gaskets all leak a little. Shouldn't be all over the engine though. Back plates usually just need a snug down on the screws to seal them back up. I would definately replace the carb throat o-ring. It will be dry rotted for sure and you'll have a hard time tuning if it is sucking air. Good luck. I love my ole .32.
chris6414 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in