Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was the first year in a while, that I flew exclusively at the main flight
line for every flight I made. For many years I have only flown at one of the
sites North, to get my flying 'fixes' then back to the 'show' for the rest of the
time. Was a nice change

Have went for several years now and seen steadily climb in attendance each year, and kind of started thinking the event was getting a bit "too big
for its britches" at times. Also kind of got to where I thought I would skip this
or that year, because I had been to enough of them where they pretty much
seemed all the same. But every year, come June/July I get the fever to head
back over again........and again and again I've never regretted the trip. Probably will go the same way again in '17..........

I like what some of you are saying about maybe the attendence is just
starting to 'normalize' , but this is the first year for such a big drop, so
we'll see how '17 goes..........
bikneli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only thing that nearly killed the event for me were nitro fumes. I swore to myself a number of times when I felt sick after getting fogged that I wouldn't return, but I'll still come back. I may seriously consider bring my aerosol respirator with me next year and throw it on when I see the cloud of smog start to head my way.

Fortunately that wasn't a huge amount of the time, but when it hit is was miserable!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah man, the smell of nitro is my favorite part haha. Makes my eyes water a little bit sometimes but it's worth it.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was my first year attending and I was thinking more people would have been there. I was told by my camping neighbors to fly before the weekend if I wanted to fly a lot. Turned out I only had to wait in line a couple times all week. Still had a great time and met some cool people. Cant wait till next year !!!!!!!
V-bar Control
Trex-Twizzle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by reALIGNed View Post
I too will agree that pilot count was down, and this is whats bugging me.

#1, Why does IRCHA support a quad/drone race competition? This should be a separate event, not during IRCHA! This is for helicopters.

#2, Why are people allowed to bring in dogs? Sure they're on a leash, but watch where you step, I saw numerous piles of poo (yep, not even picked up). Brought these two topics up to the IRCHA secretary with no answer.

#3, ATV's? Seriously? Including kids driving them along with the full size UTV's,......... golf carts are one thing.

In my opinion its getting out of control, and makes me think about not going any longer, would sure miss the show, but its getting to the point of mismanagement.
Just my opinion, but here it goes.
1. Quads vs helis has been hashed over way too much. Personally I don't see it as an issue, and it's not like the fpv was on the main flight line.
2. Not sure where you saw the offending poo, but unless it was on the main flight line, by the vendor tents, or some other high general traffic area, I don't see a big issue. Yes I'm a dog person, and I usually bring 2 or 3 of my little ankle biters with me and leave the rotties at home, but mine either stay at the campsite or are in the golf cart going for a ride, so it shouldn't be an issue.
3. Why shouldn't someone use an ATV at the site if it's being used responsibly? I know IRCHA has a rule against them already, and I respect it. Just don't agree with it. And I've seen way too much abuse of golf carts, especially where kids are involved. I right with you on that one, and I thought there was a rule about only licensed drivers except under adult supervision at the site. That of course, like the ATV rule, goes mostly unenforced. But considering what it costs to rent a cart there, if you can even get one, I can totally understand why someone would want to use the perfectly good ATV thy already have. And for the record, I actually bought a cart just for this event, although it turned out to have a lot of uses around my p!ace also. But a lot don't have that option.

I hope the things that bother you don't end up outweighing the enjoyment you get from attending, to me it's almost the most fun I end up having all year. Come by my campsite next year and I'll treat you to a cold one. Don't mind the mutts, they're just sucking around for a treat, lol.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will have to agree on the atv thing with the poster up above. I seen one doing a burnout in the little spray tent on one of the driveways. That was stupid period. Then ppl were complaining of them racing up and down the east road at 3 in the morning. I also seen then going quite fast up and down the main road behind the tents. Uncalled for. I don't have a problem with atvs but someone needs to stop the stupid stuff.

As far as quads they are here. Don't like them but what are we gonna do about it. Just as long as they keep them off to the side out of the helis way I guess we can tolerate that

Torn on the dog thing. I like dogs and love to pet them. Have had several but don't right now.

Even so ircha is still fun
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDon View Post
I will have to agree on the atv thing with the poster up above. I seen one doing a burnout in the little spray tent on one of the driveways. That was stupid period. Then ppl were complaining of them racing up and down the east road at 3 in the morning. I also seen then going quite fast up and down the main road behind the tents. Uncalled for. I don't have a problem with atvs but someone needs to stop the stupid stuff.
Hadn't heard or seen those incidents, but it doesn't entirely surprise me. Maybe the police should have been called for the racing, there is a speed limit. And the offenders should have been ejected from the grounds. There was a Richard cranium that rode one right down the flight line behind show center around the time of the night fly or fireworks, can't remember exactly, and I was surprised none of the staff nailed him. Too bad we can't ban idiots.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

There was one family there this year near the end of the flight line that had 3 quads. They kept doing burnouts. By Saturday there was little grass left.

There are responsible atv users that turn irresponsible after 3 beers. It's easy for me to agree with the rule because I dont' have one. But I understand the rule because atvs can get out of hand in a hurry if everyone had one there.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my point, the stupidity is already starting, with the atv's. next will be a tragedy, then they'll look into it, etc, etc. I can understand a golf cart for the ones that need it, but the lazy ones?.....(Nah, just bring an atv) The dog crap was right next to the Synergy tent and inside Heli Directs tent, I too love dogs and they should come along, but left in the campsite.

Last edited by reALIGNed; 10-20-2016 at 05:46 PM..
reALIGNed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
Hadn't heard or seen those incidents, but it doesn't entirely surprise me. Maybe the police should have been called for the racing, there is a speed limit. And the offenders should have been ejected from the grounds. There was a Richard cranium that rode one right down the flight line behind show center around the time of the night fly or fireworks, can't remember exactly, and I was surprised none of the staff nailed him. Too bad we can't ban idiots.
I watched the one in the little water tent. I too don't understand why they don't throw them out.

Problem with the speed limit I would think is it is private property. Don't know if they could ticket them or not. They could tell them to knock it off tho
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2016

2015 was way to many people
2016 was perfect

I was very happy this last year.

HoudiniRCHeli Podcast
rspiegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am for the responsible use of atv's at the event. I think they should allow them. But, I feel they should have a zero tolerance policy for not only atv's but carts as well.

I didn't see any cart usage that I'd call dangerous but I wasn't really looking for it either.

I did however see some d bag on a quad ripping donuts after the firework display. Right on the flight line too. It was the guy I'm sure some of you saw on the white sport quad.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
Just my opinion, but here it goes.
1. Quads vs helis has been hashed over way too much. Personally I don't see it as an issue, and it's not like the fpv was on the main flight line.
Thats part of the problem, most will accept the quads showing up, this is IRCHA, not an fpv event.......look at it this way, imagine if the fpv crowd started growing the way IRCHA did, and everyone at the IRCHA event is watching the races on the other side of the grounds, (and not too many are looking at the heli event) now what is going to happen to future IRCHA events.......cancelled due to lack of attendance?
reALIGNed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a protos 500 from a guy on this board. He sold it because he is FPV racing now.
That being said I came from FPV racing to helis.
Thoemse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Ironically, I never saw anyone at the FPV course. I heard that there was a big FPV racing event that same weekend elsewhere, so that probably accounted for some of the downturn in attendance.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think there will be natural fluctuations in the money for this stuff as well as interest. Helis have always been the pinnacle of RC skill to build, maintain and operate. Eventually some of the quad guys will cross over but I think quads are basically just a cheaper alternative and they certainly have their place even if it's a bit if a squeeze on this portion of the hobby for the moment.

I think it can eventually turn the hardcore, stick around kind of people into heli pilots instead of discouraging them before they have a chance to grow roots. How many purely chopper pilots do you know that have been around more than 10 years? Even 5 years for that matter? They're just freaking hard to keep up with! It takes a lot of dedication and passion to fly helis and some of that makes it difficult for retention, especially when it comes to disposable income. I know I've almost thrown in the towel myself on many occasions.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember when us heli guys were the rebels at fun Flys. Now we have a fun fly with 900+ registered pilots, and we complain because someone is having to much fun. We can fly backwards. Our thinking is just as strange
explorin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 04:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think its money and/or time. People are overall having a harder time. And many who come to ircha not only have to possibly spend a lot to be there, but may not be able to stop working too. If i take a week off i dont get paid. Plus the money involved to go. That could be a few grand for some people.

Multirotors hurt too. So does FAA registration. We will always have a base of heli guys tho. We need better quality beginner rtf helis. That would help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in