Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 700 + Ace One Crash while setup on the tail!

While trying to adjust the tail mechanically, Was switching between HH and Rate modes the Tail gyro reset itself and sent the Trex 700 spinning out of control and crash. If you switch between modes quickly it will reset itself, and i usually do that on the ground prior to take off, but this time we where up in the air and switching slowly between mode, like 2 sec between modes and it reset itself.

Is there a time frame limit so the ace one would not think it needs to reset itself???
DJI need to shorten this time frame for more security. Just a heads up for everyone else!!!!

Lates firmware!

Felipe
Flying Tivo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say it reset itself, do you mean it reset from HH to rate, or the entier DJI unit reset itself?

Would you say its a god idea to sit the bird down and then change, then test fly?

Im about to go through the tailgyro proceedure and wanted to know

Sorry to hear about your crash.

I also had an Issue, but it was my fault. My heli went into fail safe ( 50 percent head speed) while I was getting ready to fly. I had turned off the reciever , and because I had bound my radio/reciever to failsafe also it wont re-boot when power is reapplied, so without realizing I plugged my batts in , DJI went to failsafe and I heard it starting to spool up. I grabbed the head, stopped it from spooling and was luckily able to pull the battery leads. I destroyed my Tail drive belt, sheared the head bolt and bent the flybar.

Totally my fauly as I wasnt fully able to understand failsafe with DJI vs.the failsafe in the JR radio/reciever
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It resets the angular vector, since the reset needs the heli to be still, and the heli was hovering, it looks for a vector and shuts down HH or Rate until it aquires a vector, so its a catch 22 situation, spiraling down!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you have the tail setup already in Rate mode?

I always adjust my tail in rate mode so its mechanically perfect with no trim in the TX.
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That is exactly what i was aiming for. Since there was a lot of drift in rate, i had to switch to HH, then back to rate to re evaluate but i guess the third time A1 tail gyro reset itself. Rob, please convey this to DJI so they can shorten the time between switching so you cannot accidentally reset the gyro!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will let them know. I have never had one do that and I have switched from HH to rate and back again.

The way I set the tail up is take off and fly in rate mode. Trim the rudder on the TX until the tail holds.

Land and measure the distance from the tail slider to the tail case (use a digital caliper).

Set trim back to zero.

Adjust mechanically until distance is what you measured.

Fly in rate mode again to verify.

Un power.

Go to HH mode.

Power up and you are done and will always fly in HH.
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in