Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align APS Success - Finally!

A partial success story for those struggling with this unit, there is hope...

I purchased my APS unit at IRCHA in August and just got it working on my Trex 500 EFL using a Spectrum DX8 radio. Configuring the DX8 to support an APS 3 position switch was my first issue. Thanks to HedgeHeli and SharonNoelle for their help on this and other problem areas.

Obviously there have been many bad experiences posted here using the APS and its my belief that the biggest single cause of failure is the incomplete and often incorrect documentation which on a scale of 1 -10 rates somewhere around a 5 or less. It was only after many hours of digging e.g. phone calls to Align, interaction with others on this forum and watching the various tube videos that I was finally able to get my APS to function correctly.

As of this post I have successfully flown the APS 7 times exercising both APS mode (rock solid stabilization) and GPS mode (return to home) which is awesome to watch. Each flight has increased my confidence in the unit. I will post results of the other functions as I complete.
Neo, Vbar; Mini and Silverline, VControl , DX18
cruzurr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to know about your experience! I bought an Align Aps in August, but I'm very afraid to use this. i'm not sure if I'll use. i'm waiting for a new version and I hope that will come up soon. Did you have a video? Do you think that I have to try?
lucasmmeira is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sounds Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzurr View Post

I purchased my APS unit at IRCHA in August and just got it working on my Trex 500 EFL using a Spectrum DX8 radio. Configuring the DX8 to support an APS 3 position switch was my first issue. Thanks to HedgeHeli and SharonNoelle for their help on this and other problem areas.

Obviously there have been many bad experiences posted here using the APS and its my belief that the biggest single cause of failure is the incomplete and often incorrect documentation which on a scale of 1 -10 rates somewhere around a 5 or less. It was only after many hours of digging e.g. phone calls to Align, interaction with others on this forum and watching the various tube videos that I was finally able to get my APS to function correctly.

As of this post I have successfully flown the APS 7 times exercising both APS mode (rock solid stabilization) and GPS mode (return to home) which is awesome to watch. Each flight has increased my confidence in the unit. I will post results of the other functions as I complete.
Hi cruzurr,
It's awesome to read about someone who has had success and fun using this new system.,
I know that's it's something I have been interested in, and looking into for my soon to be here, TRex 700 E DFC HV 3GX 2.1.

Chas
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Traxxas QR-1 RealFlight Drone 6.5
ChasCS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

That is good to here. Can you post how you were able to make it work. I know that you did the leg work but there are many that would like you to share your knowledge.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hi ! Good to hear its working for you, i got 2 crashs since i am trying to get it work on my 500 dfc

What are your 3 gains set on your aps gyro ??
mmarmouz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default It's nice to read that! So there's still a hope! :)

Quote:

Our APS unit is almost 100%, but I'm still having a strange problem: after taking off and flying for a couple minutes in 3GX mode, when I change to APS mode, the helicopter stabilizes for some seconds (generally about 10-20 secs) and then it starts to loose its headlock, drifting the tail to the left in an accelerating manner. When this happens, I move back to 3GX mode to regain control.

Would you mind posting your configuration, so that I can compare with mine?

Thank you so much!
alexsmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good news: APS seems to be working now.

After dozens of hours reading the manuals, searching the web and trying a lot, it seems like I finally got APS working.

I used "seems to be working" because I already had this impression before, but suddenly got problems like tail drifting, difficulties on position hold, etc.

The last problem I had was that, after lifting and hovering for a couple seconds, when I switched to APS mode, I had stabilization for a few seconds, then the tail started to drift in an accelerated way to the left. It really looked like the heli was wanting to point to a specific direction. When that direction was reached, I had a hard tail wag.

To me, the main cause had to be related to some kind of inverted compensation, but I had no clue about what setting could be related to it but the gyro gain.

The guy who configured my 3GX module was positive saying that nothing could be inverted, otherwise the heli wouldn't even fly.

But...

Further queries and readings pointed me towards Anti Torque Compensation setting. When I checked this setting on the 3GX module of my T-Rex 800, I realized it was really INVERTED!

Although it may seem a very simple solution, it took me hours to get to it.

Now the heli is apparently rock solid while in APS mode. Still some more testing to go, so that I can remove this "apparently" word from the sentence.

Good luck and thanks for all the help.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm very glad to finally see some success with the Align APS. I have one as well but have yet to install it. I'm half considering selling it and getting the Naza H with GPS, but I may keep the APS if you guys convince me.

I am also an Arducopter user for multirotors and fixed wing and have already learned my lessons on setup and bench testing before flying, so hopefully this will apply to the APS. Can you guys see the swash plate compensate correctly on the ground? (collective as well?) I have read stories of helis going full negative into the ground, but if it is visible on the ground that the collective goes the wrong way, why would you fly? I have also read that while on the ground, switching between 3GX and APS, the swash jumps, shouldn't it stay stationary? I like the ability to see the correct movements while on the ground before flying, but it seems like other people pass their bench test only to have their heli crash before their eyes. Are they missing something? Or do they just not have the experience setting up an autopilot like the ardupilot making sure to have correct movements?

I just don't like reading people setting up their heli 100% according to the manual and not having success.

-Chris
Khosravi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hi cruzurr. So its been over half a year since you originally posted. Have you encountered any serious problems with the Align APS so far? I noticed you recently sold a HeliCommand HC3SX!

I'm very interested now because I want to get some kind of APS on my FPV helicopters this year. Align's recently released APS Lite for $400 has got me interested in their autopilot product again. But I just want to see some good success stories with it first.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, guys! Please let me comment both of your posts, as they're closely related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khosravi View Post
I'm very glad to finally see some success with the Align APS. I have one as well but have yet to install it. I'm half considering selling it and getting the Naza H with GPS, but I may keep the APS if you guys convince me.
I'm sorry, but I think I'm going to try the opposite way.

Quote:
I am also an Arducopter user for multirotors and fixed wing and have already learned my lessons on setup and bench testing before flying, so hopefully this will apply to the APS.
Why are you thinking about migrating? IMHO, APS is way far from the possibilities of Ardupilot. Even if Align has better quality components in APS, it still very nice for newbies wanting to learn the basics. For example: you have a very, very limited waypoint navigation in APS. It is basically limited to waypoints A and B. And worse: they have to be configured each time you turn it on. Even worse? They have to be configured physically going to the point you want to mark... APS's mission planner (if we can call it so) is basically switching from point A to point B indefinitely. Are you sure that's really what you want?

So if you're thinking about exploring new horizons, I'd really recommend you to go for OpenPilot (not ArduPilot). This is a really promising project. Take a look at www.openpilot.org.

Quote:
Can you guys see the swash plate compensate correctly on the ground? (collective as well?) I have read stories of helis going full negative into the ground, but if it is visible on the ground that the collective goes the wrong way, why would you fly?
Sure, you have to do the ground checking of compensation. Otherwise, you'll certainly crash. And I agree that many of the reports are probably based on a bad setup. Although I can tell, from my own experience, that even following each step on the manual, you NEED further research and readings in order to set it up correctly. In my case, I was able to check the right compensation in all axis. This is fundamental before taking off.

Quote:
I have also read that while on the ground, switching between 3GX and APS, the swash jumps, shouldn't it stay stationary?
You are right again. I must add that, even making sure the switch keeps the swash stationary while on ground, this is not what happens all the time you're flying. In my case (again), while flying, when switching from 3GX to APS, I had both soft changes and hard changes. I couldn't identify why sometimes it happens and why sometimes it just doesn't happen. My guess is it has something to do with GPS positioning, although I was always at an open field, away from electric towers and other possible interferences. That's really strange. I take off, then manually stop the aircraft and then switch from 3GX to APS. The change is soft. Back to 3GX, back to ground, then take off again, same procedure and it reacts in a hardly manner when switching from 3GX do APS. Really strange and I still didn't find out why this happens.

Quote:
I like the ability to see the correct movements while on the ground before flying, but it seems like other people pass their bench test only to have their heli crash before their eyes. Are they missing something? Or do they just not have the experience setting up an autopilot like the ardupilot making sure to have correct movements?
My answer would be "both". Specially for a newbie, there are so many variables you can easily forget about something. And you know: one variable is able to define between crashing or not. IMHO, autopilot is really something very sensible. Checking movements on the ground is crucial, but it doesn't really guarantee you'll land safely. This could be different if makers could do a specific autopilot system for each aircraft, instead of something generic to fit many aircrafts and even many kinds for aircrafts (multirotors, helicopters, fixed wings, etc). But I know this is not commercially viable.

Quote:
I just don't like reading people setting up their heli 100% according to the manual and not having success. -Chris
Me too. Considering specifically APS, I also found mistakes on the manual and ambiguous sentences. This is probably due to the Chinese to English translation. Translating is always delicate, specially this kind of translations. I got in touch with Align and they confirmed what I found was really a mistake. And we know this is possible. Again, that's why I say reading the manual and following it thoroughly is generally not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh View Post
Hi cruzurr. So its been over half a year since you originally posted. Have you encountered any serious problems with the Align APS so far? I noticed you recently sold a HeliCommand HC3SX!

I'm very interested now because I want to get some kind of APS on my FPV helicopters this year. Align's recently released APS Lite for $400 has got me interested in their autopilot product again. But I just want to see some good success stories with it first.
Hello skyhigh! As I mentioned above, I have a good experience with Align APS. IMHO, if you want to go to something really exciting, I'd suggest you to go for an open project, like Ardupilot or - even better and more promising - OpenPilot (www.openpilot.org). Take a time to read this entire post to find out why I'm telling you this. Shortly, I'm really positive you're find APS too much limited in a few weeks after your first fly.

If you decide to go for APS, no problem. You'll certainly learn a lot of concepts which will be very helpful when you decide to go for something greater.

Hope that helps...
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default APS GPS set up

Hi Alex,

I'm a brazilian too and I'd like to talk with you in more details about APS GPS Programming.

My email adress is agfleischmann@gmail.com

Thanks
agfleischmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry APS GPS Align

Hi guys! I Spent with my friends the last days of my life making sure absolutely everything was perfect with this systems APS GPS Align (manuals + videos + technical advice, ….) . Followed the instructions 100%, did not skip one thing. All preflight checks went fine, calibration and vibration was in checked. Led colors in the 3GX and APS sensor was checked as indicated in the manual. My brand new T-rex 500e PRO DFC was absolutely perfect in the 3GX fly mode. Flown many times and performed beautifully with the 3GX until this crash. I’m so absolutely upset face this situation . I got him into a nice stable hover about 10 meters. Flicked the switch to activate the position hold function (APS), he took a direct path right at full pitch to the ground. I tried to change for 3GX fly mode but it’s wasn’t enough, it was so fast, impossible to avoid the crash. A sad day in my flying experience and expensive also. I will rebuild my helicopter this week. Unfortunately it's not going to be for a few weeks. I looked over the damage yesterday, luckly there was no frame damage and the head looks to be ok. Could you guys help me?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which 3gx version?
marcnchojna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

v 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in