Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Co Pilot II Recovery time seems slower

Quick question... I was flying on Sunday and I was showing off the CPII to some friends. But something I noticed was that it seems like its taking longer for the bird to recover all of the sudden. I had the bird in a hover and would throw it right. Let go of the stick and wait for it to recover. It seems like it used to almost snap right over. Now it seems like it drops 5 or so feet before it recovers. Is there a setting or something that i changed to cause this? Or maybe I just thought it was faster before?

Edit...

Was clear sky's and zero wind. Have to love CA.
Trex 600esp
lowbuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always get a level hover in the 1-2 second window, Did you make any changes with the IRnet divice? Larry
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you at any time change the ATV (gain) on the switch you use to switch CPII on/off. That value determines the overall effect of CPII on the servos.If you have to change that value the remote on/off programming needs to be revised.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gain determines how far Co-Pilot II moves the servos for a given
deviation from level flight. When gain is set high, the servos
move a lot. When gain is set low, the servos move a little.
Typical initial gain settings are:
n
Pitch: 70%.

n Roll: 50%.
and insure the cp2 on ON . I use the Gear switch , foward for on...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a long post 40 pages or so thread "Review - FMA's New Co-Pilot II" which among other topics refers to this issue of remote gain and on the pages following (P25): https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...137025&page=25 , this is discussed and FMA official reply in this matter is supplied.

Generally the less input applied to the cyclic, on correction, will result in a slower recovery.

"Either reducing gains or reducing sensitivity will cause a longer recovery time during stabilization."

Quote:
First, the statement excerpted from the FMA Website which started the issue:

"If possible, set the CP-ll remote up on an AUX channel so that you can vary the sensitivity in the air. If this is not possible, then you may accomplish a similar objective by reducing the gains when you land and using the IRNet programmer."

OFFICAL ANSWER FROM FMA:
This is referring to the pitch and roll gain. They are combined when used on an auxiliary channel. You are able to vary the gain from off to on, and once on, it varies to full on. You have about 30 degrees of adjustments from when it is first on until it is fully on. If you need to make a change to just the pitch or just the roll, you would do this with the IRNHP.

Sincerely,

Howard G. Matos
Technical Support
301-668-4280
End quote.

Last edited by pril250; 03-15-2010 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anybody lowered the default pitch and roll gain value substantially and why did you do it and what were the results? Thanks.
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy View Post
Has anybody lowered the default pitch and roll gain value substantially and why did you do it and what were the results? Thanks.
According to FMA:

Either reducing gains or reducing sensitivity will cause a longer recovery time during stabilization.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I've heard that "longer recovery time" but why would you do that, what is the benefit?
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy View Post
Yes, I've heard that "longer recovery time" but why would you do that, what is the benefit?
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I did that as a experiment. rather than recover in 1 sec. the recovery is slower. and smoother or as in slow motion.. it may take 5 sec to recover so I put it back some. I fly at 150 stick input and 10 less on pitch and roll. Doing fast circles, I had some occilations at higher speeds so I lower the pitch gain and that helped a lot.. Larry
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I guess once you get CPII or any system working in principal, the next stage would be to tweak things so to get it flying in the most beneficial way with your own style and requirements, be it as a learning safety aid or to stabilze your bird for AP work or just for showing off circuit work.....

As flying improves you would want less intervention from the stabilizer and more control over your flying and possibly end up with a 'bail out button' as NF and a few more done.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Yes, I guess once you get CPII or any system working in principal, the next stage would be to tweak things so to get it flying in the most beneficial way with your own style and requirements, be it as a learning safety aid or to stabilze your bird for AP work or just for showing off circuit work.....

As flying improves you would want less intervention from the stabilizer and more control over your flying and possibly end up with a 'bail out button' as NF and a few more done.

Using the "bail out button" is how I intend to use CP II once I am better at using it and flying. I just got my bird rebuilt from my last "landing" LOL so I will look at the sensors and settings and see whats up. Once of these days I am going to end a Sunday with a flyable bird on Monday! haha
Trex 600esp
lowbuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in