Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default High Discharge Rate for Storage Mode

Can anyone suggest a 'mid' priced charger that has a high discharge rate for storage mode? I have a 'version' of Hitec X4 charger (love it), but don't love the 1.0 discharge rate. Was testing it yesterday and with 4 3s 2100 batteries at 1.0, it only discharged 130mAh in 28 minutes! I have multiple batteries, and need to discharge them for winter storage without it being a 24 hour process per battery. I have a server power supply (converted), so power isn't an issue. I was looking at the iChargers, 206B, but would like something a little cheaper, as I will only be using it for storage discharge. Appreciate any advice. I like the hyperion's, but out of my price range right now. Was looking at one of these....but totally up for suggestions.

iCharger 208B
iCharger 106B+
iCharger 206B
E-STATION BC8
sjgusmc21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have that many batteries to put in storage why not take your heli out and hover all the batteries down and charge to storage voltage. Much cheaper option right now.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You are correct, I really never did think about that. However, I also very rarely get time to fly...30-45 minutes when I do. So having a charger that I could discharge/store at a quick rate would be very beneficial to me. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw you were not getting much in the way of answers to your question so I thought I would give you a quick alternative to get your batteries to storage without having to purchase another charger yet. I have put a battery into storage mode from charged once with my 306B and did not like how hot the charger got. I now put all my batteries into storage mode from below storage voltage. I plan on looking into using the regenerative discharge mode on the 306B this winter to see how that works out. The 306B is able to transfer power from the Lipo to a PB battery on the input side of the charger (using deep cycle batteries as your charger power source). I believe this will not create the heat doing it the normal way.
Whatever you wind up doing, research what will work best for you and buy once.

FYI, the 206B has a regenerative discharge mode also.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The iChargers can only discharge at 80W by themselves, but as mentioned previously, they will get pretty hot. With an external resistance hooked up they can do the full 1000W.

For external resistance, a lot of people have had success using auto head lights as dischargers. They're 12V lights, so you can use one for 3S, or two headlights wired in series for 6S. They should be able to discharge your battery faster than the icharger by itself.

In external discharge mode, you can hook up the headlights in series with the positive side of your battery and plug it into the charger and it will discharge it to the right voltage.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the help! Didn't know any of this. Will take a closer look at the headlight method. Thank you very much!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Again, thank you all for your help. I spoke with a very professional and friendly man at Progressive today. Very, very helpful and explained a lot to me. I ended up ordering a Cellpro 8S and go with the DIY project over at RCGroups. Took me about 6 hours total today (on and off while taking care of my 3.5 yr old daughter, teleworking, and running errands), so not overly disappointed as I believe it would have been much less if I hadn't interrupted the discharging process. Of course, these were only 3s 2100 lips, not the 4s and 6s I have. So, it would appear that although I REALLY WANTED a iCharger 208B, I just can't justify it when all I really want it is for discharging/storing. I will let you know how my project turns out and once again, thank you all for your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in