Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quick release mounts, possible failure.

Recently bought a Goblin 700 and on my maiden flight the canopy came off and was chewed by the main blades, luckily. I managed to auto it down, escaped with a mangled canopy and wrecked mains. Could of been much worse.

I got it second hand and it came with quick release mounts, which I believe are SAB's. I was shown how to fit the canopy and be sure to check the mounts are seated correctly. Which I did by giving the canopy a good pull at the mounts. If they are not fitted correctly they pull out easy.

I feel I had them fitted as they should so I don't really have much confidence in these mounts now and I am looking for an alternative.

Anyone else had this happen?
DannyP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not on any of my Gobs? But I had my canopy come loose on my 600 just last week while inverted. The heli basically exploded. Took us two full days to find all the parts. Some blown out hundreds of feet in every direction. Count yourself extremely lucky you got it down with minimal damage.

I wouldn't trust those mounts ever again myself. Try the SHS versions or Tenax.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I always make sure the center plunger bit fully extends out, its possible that it feels locked in place but it really isnt. You really need to tug on the canopy with some force to really test the mounts. The nice thing is the mount work in or something but as they age they get better.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Not on any of my Gobs? But I had my canopy come loose on my 600 just last week while inverted. The heli basically exploded. Took us two full days to find all the parts. Some blown out hundreds of feet in every direction. Count yourself extremely lucky you got it down with minimal damage.

Sorry to hear about your 600. I am aware how lucky I was just to be picking up pieces of canopy. Everyone at the club thought the same. I won't be using these mounts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
I always make sure the center plunger bit fully extends out, its possible that it feels locked in place but it really isnt. You really need to tug on the canopy with some force to really test the mounts. The nice thing is the mount work in or something but as they age they get better.
I never looked at the plunger but I did give it a good pull. Maybe it wasn't in place properly? I will never know.

Whilst searching for new mounts I came across a thread on here. Someone has modded QuickUK Trex magnetic mounts to fit the Goblin. Seems a simple job and the magnets look strong. Think I will try these. Shame I didn't find it before I ordered a set of blades from there.

Thanks for both your input.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I have the Tenax type and very happy with them - they positively latch.

I would not use the magnetic type on this heli - a bit a wind force in the wrong direction and those magnets will let go.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a link to the thread. You don't think these would be strong enough?

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...agnetic+mounts
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
I have the Tenax type and very happy with them - they positively latch.

I would not use the magnetic type on this heli - a bit a wind force in the wrong direction and those magnets will let go.
I agree, I have not had any luck with magnetic type and would never use them on any large model.

I have been using the SAB quick mounts with great success though, I made the canopy whole a little bigger to get them to work right. Mine have worked flawlessly for hundreds of flights on my 630 with out one issue.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice

I have ordered a set of these http://steveshobby-shop.com/xtcModif...770::1662.html
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
Thanks for the advice

I have ordered a set of these http://steveshobby-shop.com/xtcModif...770::1662.html
That's where I bought mine.

The other type like the SAB ones could be mistaken to be latched because they may offer some resistance due to friction when giving the canopy a test tug, but with the Tenax type they are locked on and secure or totally free and loose.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds ideal. Just had an Email to say the canopy mounts are OOS Should get them in the next two weeks.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to update, SHS Tenax mounts now fitted. Sooooo much better! No more, are they on?... Had a handful of successful flights now. Love the heli, a pure pleasure to fly. Big thanks to those who suggested the SHS Tenax mounts
Goblin 700
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a lot of issues in the beginning with my quick releases. A few times one side came off in flight. Got lucky and didn't have issues. For me I just had to set it in the sun for a couple hours at the rc field with it mounted correctly and let it mold. Now I haven't had an issue since.
Team Helidirect
Helis4Life77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had issues and success with both the shs as well as the sab ones... They either work or they don't, and a lot of times they never work right again after a crash.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpainten View Post
I had issues and success with both the shs as well as the sab ones... They either work or they don't,
True, the SHS Tenax just work.
Quote:
and a lot of times they never work right again after a crash.
That can be expected.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hated my sabs quick release mounts lived with them for 4 flights. Bought the screw type lot better for me.

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually downgraded awhile back when I went from the SHS Tenax canopy mounts to the SAB Quick Release mounts. Of course... At the time I thought it was an upgrade. Have gotten kinda used to them but still don't like them though. It's a PITA to get the canopy on w/them as they don't necessarily align properly so you have to kinda pull hard on the canopy to get them to align and then you have to push on them very hard to get them to snap in place. But I must say... I've never had a canopy come off once they were properly engaged.

Got tired of wrestling w/them so I picked up a set of the RCBooyas. Haven't gotten a chance to mount them yet so can't much comment. Anyone else trying them?
Yellow SAB WobblinGoblin770 w/ iKon v2, Red Mostro v1 w/ iKon v2
byter182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a set of the SHS on my 570 and they keep popping off in flight. Sometimes one side, sometimes both. Mine do not snap in, are they supposed to? I have to push on them on to engage.
high alpha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gently ease the edge on the male part with a file, oil a few times, trim the bottom of your canopy if necessary, and heat and shape to make the fittings align better. Now they should work great.

And definitely use the right screws to attach to frame. The tapered headed ones. Ask me how I know!

Last edited by K2Freak; 06-26-2015 at 01:29 PM..
K2Freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally love the quick release canopy from SAB,make sure you push it in all the way and the center pin move out after you lock it and give a tug to each side of the canopy to see if it move out or not,after that,no need to worry about!
huanbuihd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in