Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage Fusion 50

Outrage Fusion 50 Outrage Fusion 50 Electric Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
TJ
Registered Users

Default SA00132A Outrage 12S Carbon Fiber Battery Tray - Fusion 50 Is it worth it?

So who has it and is it worth it? What advantages does it offer? What are the draw backs? like some feed back from actuall owners.
TJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unsure on that one, but I'll never regret getting the KDE tray. Well worth the price for the easy of putting in the packs and the look. Bent it on a hard crash and tapped it right back into shape.

http://www.kdedirect.com/OF50BTS.html
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The CHP battery tray ROCKS... I can put my GA 5300's on there.. Tight fit, but it fits..
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is the CHP thinner than the stock battery tray? I have to use NO battery tray with my 6s5000mah packs and I hate that.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unsure on the CF one, but the KDE replaces everything down there and my GA6s5300's slip in with 1/4" or more room to spare. More with my 4000's I usually use. And it's so wide they don't flop out when I am putting on the straps.

This photo shows about how much room I have... maybe even a bit more with the gens ace.

http://www.kdedirect.com/images/OF50-BTS6b.JPG
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh yeah I like that setup, looks like it actually drops the battery down a bit too. I am sure if its KDE it has to be expensive though. I will have to look into that for sure.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

$90 or so. yeah that sucks. But its less than 1 lipo
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Man I am not sure if that is worth the $90 price tag. $45-50 I would have been all over it.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I still fly the regular tray. No issue with it so far.
I skipped the KDE due to price and simply did not see any improvement on function, flight characteristics ... at least not for me to justify the cost.
The CF tray looks interesting. May get one to try it for that price.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For us using only 6s the regular tray needs to be removed in order for the battery to fit.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep - using 5000 mAh packs is pretty tuff with the tray. Best is without tray.

I didrun mine on 6s with 2 3300 mAh packs in parallel instead of in series.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
TJ
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am using 2 6cell 3300mah GenAce packs and was wondering if it makes it easier to fit the packs in? holds them better? I really like the KDE but the $$ is holding me back on that one.
TJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
I still fly the regular tray. No issue with it so far.
I skipped the KDE due to price and simply did not see any improvement on function, flight characteristics ... at least not for me to justify the cost.
The CF tray looks interesting. May get one to try it for that price.
In my Option i think KDE Direct Over Charge Customer
astrecord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the CHP tray... WELL worth it.
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrecord View Post
In my Option i think KDE Direct Over Charge Customer
Not sure -> friend of mine bought one (and he is on tight budget - way more than I). It looks awesome. Keep in mind its very light weight but still pretty rigid.

To me I simply do not see enough improvement in performance for the money to spend. Its a personal opinion. I was going after bling for a while a few years ago. Today - I hardly change the standard canopy and have almost zero upgrades.

I personally run 3300 mAh packs (different brands from TP over NRG, Pulse Ultra ...). They all fit perfect in the standard tray. It takes me about 1 minute to swap batteries. And I never had any issues about batteries moving around or getting loose during flight and they sit put pretty well - so those facts are simply my decision point not to go for the KDE.

Still it looks impressive.

The new CF tray may actually be cool to since it does (in a different way compared to KDE) stiffen the frame a bit. In addition it makes it a bit easier to place the packs center. Thats a reason that the little extra to spend might make sense to me.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I initially thought that the KDE tray or any other tray was simply not needed (unless you were going to fit larger than optimal packs). However in the end curiosity got the better of me and I stumped up the cash for the KDE tray. I'm glad I did as by lowering the batteries a fair bit it has made getting the velcro straps around the batteries so much easier (I'm not going to by flying over 3300mAh batts so batt size isn't a point for me). So whilst it has not offered any change in performance, not that ever thought it would, it has made it that bit easier to 're-fuel' and I notice it every flight so a worthy upgrade.

My main point I guess is that you may only NEED an upgraded tray if you are going to use larger batteries and in which case you need to use one that lowers the batteries from the stock position (KDE tray is probably King here due to removal of the bottom part of the original frame). However any of the new trays could well be worth it if it makes getting the packs on that little bit easier. Odd really because this is one of the easiest helis to change packs on but if something can be improved...why not!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me the moment I bought the KDE tray was after a crash which damaged the bottom part of both frame halves, it was either buying two new frame halves and rebuild the entire heli or remove the remains of the bottom frames and install the KDE tray, obviously I did the latter.
catzjes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've bought and received the tray this morning. Had a go at fitting it but ran out of time before work. Bit fiddly to fit and I had to shave off a bit of the CF to stop it hitting the bottom of the main shaft. Even loosely fitted, you can tell it's going to be a LOT sturdier than the stand plastic tray. I recommend taking out the head, shaft and main gear. This will allow you to get in and fit the bottom bit then slide down the top bit. If you put the top bit in first and work from the bottom, you can't screw in the bolts to attach it to the plastic bottom plate.

The KDE tray will act like an uprated bottom tray so should also stiffen up the frame. I'm hoping this outrage upgrade will achieve the same.

Worth the £30 IMO.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I ordered one to see how it works myself too. Has to wait until I back in country. Baded on the design and the installation cideos that I have seen it should stiffen the frame a bit and make it pisition to center a bit easier. But I have to try first.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

received the CF tray and installed it today. It does increase room by a few mm -> so I think it helps flying larger packs in addition to center it in the middle.

Will take it to the field tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in