Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
The algorithm for the rotor (head) control has changed so there's no point carrying the old gain setting across. I've left mine at the default that the new software sets and I'll go from there
Aah thanks for that.

Guys what are the transmitter files for? I installed the relevant file on my 14SG but I already have a profile set up. Must I use the downloaded version?
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #42 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The Tx files basically do Vortex Transmitter Setup for you.

For those who are new to a transmitter, or have difficulty figuring out the Tx menus, etc., setting the transmitter up this way makes it quick and easy for them.

You don't have to use the dl'ed version. If you made two separate models, one setup via the Tx file, and the other properly setup manually by you, all the Tx settings would be identical between the two models.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's interesting thanks Bob. I checked and my Tx setup from v2 has a different reversal for the elevator channel. I haven't done the v3 setup yet, so I'll see how it works out.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #44 (permalink)

My HF Map location

That's interesting.

Receiver and Swash Setup still has to be done by you, so definitely verify in the end that the swash and tail operates correctly and that the Vortex compensates correctly before flying the model.

These Tx setup files are intended to be used by those with a capable transmitter who also have some difficulty setting it up properly on their own. I have a capable transmitter, but prefer to do the setup on my own, so I wouldn't have a use for these files.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you know what you are doing it is probably faster to just get on with it rather than trying to work out how to import the template. However, for every heli you set up your always go through the same steps so why keep repeating them. The template is effectively a blanc/default transmitter program with the bare minimum changes made to match the radio to the Vortex. It just gives you a different starting point to set up a new heli.

Some of the older Futaba radios had rotor to tail mix enabled by default (bad for heading hold gyros) as well as hover collective and hover throttle trims assigned to radio dials which I totally despised... and few other undesirable things. Instead of starting with the Futaba default and having to track down all these things and turn them off I made a template and reused that when staring a new models.

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you've created a great base template to use with any model or gyro. Remembering to disable the nonsense on Futaba takes time.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Angelos,

Good note about disabling the hovering trims and other mixes that might be there by default.

When I added a second heli w/ VX1n, all I did was copy my existing model in the 14SG to a new model, renamed it and was done.

These templates will be put to use by many people I'm sure.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another V3 Vortex VX 1 is born!

A little later than most, but...Rush 700--Vortex VX 1 V3 inside, Baby!!!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V3.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	501824  

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

Last edited by dunkonu23; 04-11-2014 at 10:40 PM..
dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Nice Scott!!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can anyone please explain the difference between cyclic response and cyclic exponential? For me it sounds the same!
Regards
Stephan
Stephan1970 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

From the manual

Cyclic Response - Controls how fast the helicopter responds to cyclic stick movement. Reducing this parameter makes the cyclic response more gradual as if the pilot is moving the cyclic more gently. If this parameter is set too low the cyclic response will feel delayed. Helicopters with soft head dampeners may benefit from slightly reduced cyclic response as higher values may result to vertical tail bounce during hard elevator stops.

Cyclic Exponential - Operates in a similar way as exponential on the radio and allows using a different value for each flight mode. Negative values make the control slower and more precise near the stick centre.

So the response is how fast it reacts to stick inputs, where as expo gives you an area around centre stick where there won't be a response, or a smaller one for a certain amount of input
steve_b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you Steve, think i got it now!
Stephan1970 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok so ive only just (last weekend) updated to v2 and got it all set up again and obviously want to now upgrade to v3, now the biggest pain for me was removing the unit from my heli and redoing all the wireing again,, so is it possible to leave it in place with all servo leads plugged in while i do the update and yes i do have digital servos,,also does the whole set up procedure have to be done again
nick.m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.m View Post
ok so ive only just (last weekend) updated to v2 and got it all set up again and obviously want to now upgrade to v3, now the biggest pain for me was removing the unit from my heli and redoing all the wireing again,, so is it possible to leave it in place with all servo leads plugged in while i do the update and yes i do have digital servos,,also does the whole set up procedure have to be done again
I left all the servo wires in when I did my firmware upgrade.

The only time you will have to unplug them is when you bind your transmitter to your receiver again in the set up process. Everything defaults to default settings. default settings are digital cyclic servos and 1560us for tail servo. I had to unplug my tail servo before binding my receiver as my tail servo runs at 760us

Yes you have to do the whole set up procedure again but make sure you write all the values you had when you where flying for the main rotor and tail. You can use the old values to get the exact same set up so that you don't have to redo the servo directions, swashplate levelling tail endpoints and sensor directions etc.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

You do not have to unplug the servo wires if you run digital servos. Just the tail servo is unplugged unless it work on stock factory settings
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool thax guys
nick.m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know I have knocked the older firmware, but I really love the factory settings in the unit now, the gains are bang on, the agility is great, the Gov is great, very minimal tuning needed for V3, flight wise, its what I have been looking for in a 3 axis gyro.The quality of the Vortex can only be matched by Futaba CGY750. No other gyro I had can do what V3 is doing for me now,
Now you have the PC interface on the way plus maybe bluteeth, what more can I ask for?
Well maybe, can you guys accept trade in for my Vbar or BeastX?
trollycamber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought V3 ruined by adding the "all Flybar" taste in gyros, but I guess the programmers listened to us normal folks and made it easy ad wonderful to fly. A better experience.

Last edited by trollycamber; 04-19-2014 at 09:22 AM..
trollycamber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sv: Vortex firmware update v3.00

Now tried some flights with 3.0 and it works very good. It feels that it is less vobbling in the nick direction. I had some problems earlier.

But one thing that I'm disappointed with is the e-manual. It feels like a manual for some toy. No it is not a toy.. ;-) . To big font, but icons etc etc and it is 15! pages long. The earlier was 4 and no more informations than before. I liked the pdf. Sorry.

But the unit and software is super. I mean it takes like 2 minutes to do the setup again after upgrade.=D> .. I really like the setup menu. Simple, intuitive and fast

BTW why does the N,1,2,H menus still exists when I have selected that I don't want modes?
still is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by still View Post
But one thing that I'm disappointed with is the e-manual. It feels like a manual for some toy. No it is not a toy.. ;-) . To big font, but icons etc etc and it is 15! pages long. The earlier was 4 and no more informations than before. I liked the pdf. Sorry.
What I saw in previous versions is that some people get intimidated with the volume of information of a single document, particularly during setup. The online guide aims to focus at a single task at the time. There is of course the "Print Version" (I assume you discovered the option at the bottom of the page) which displays everything together.

As the new guide it is intended to be viewed online the font size is chosen for tablets and phones; not for printing. If you want to print it I suggest to use the "2 pages per sheet" option of your printer. All printers have it.

-Angelos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	online_guide.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	503394  

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in