Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya this went up on their website back in late April and when I had heard the rumours I was thrilled to jump all over the "new" 800.

Then I saw what it was.... an old 700 streched. It does however eliminate dfc in this kit which is nice but the 800 pro is a larger more handsome machine, this is actually smaller canopy.

http://www.align.com.tw/new-arrival-t-rex-800e-f3c/
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw it was for f3c but didnt pay much attention to it tbh, i dont like the look of it. I like the idea of the fl head though not to keen on dfc any more.
99100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't go wrong either way. But here's something to think about. The 700L Top has the same power train but in a more potent power setup- (lighter, smaller heli.) So the 700L is going to boss the 700 airframe around.

When you add the extra 800 setup... you gain stability and grace... but you lose some of that power to weight ratio. Especially power to disc ratio. The 800 disc is over 12 inches larger and it'll have to carry bigger batteries to get the same flight time.

The 700L Top and 800 Pro DFC both come with the 850mx and 160 ESC. But one helicopter has a more agile, lighter disc and airframe. So its going to fly circles around the 800.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well yesterday I decided on the 700L TOP it should be here wednesday and flying thursday
99100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigger batteries in the 800? I thought both setups were for dual 5000mAh packs? Maybe 5200mAh.....but I haven't seen that yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
Can't go wrong either way. But here's something to think about. The 700L Top has the same power train but in a more potent power setup- (lighter, smaller heli.) So the 700L is going to boss the 700 airframe around.

When you add the extra 800 setup... you gain stability and grace... but you lose some of that power to weight ratio. Especially power to disc ratio. The 800 disc is over 12 inches larger and it'll have to carry bigger batteries to get the same flight time.

The 700L Top and 800 Pro DFC both come with the 850mx and 160 ESC. But one helicopter has a more agile, lighter disc and airframe. So its going to fly circles around the 800.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its the same power train as the 700 running 5000 packs.

But the disc is one full foot larger in diameter. That zaps the current when you fly it hard.

I guess it depends on what flight times you're okay with. I need at least 4 minutes.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=637176

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 10-20-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
Its the same power train as the 700 running 5000 packs.

But the disc is one full foot larger in diameter. That zaps the current when you fly it hard.

I guess it depends on what flight times you're okay with. I need at least 4 minutes.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=637176

So if you're not smacking it hard, and both the 700L and 800 Pro have same ESC, motor, gearing, and lipos, which will give the longer flight times?
The 800 has a bigger disc, but at the same time, the headspeed will be less that the 700.

I'm just interested in knowing what the differences there are between the two, if the same lipos, motors, ESC, ect are the same between the 700L top and 800 Pro DFC.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also like to know the flight time difference between 700 and 800 if exact setup used, lets say on 5000mAh packs ...

AlignKing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some friends of mine fly both but remember the 800 has different main gearing and is set up for a lower headspeed . Flying with the same batteries they are getting 30 secs longer flight time on the 800 doing the same stuff but at a lower headspeed . I get 5:30 on my 800 but it is not an Align .
Old 11-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really think its just how you fly it.

Even turning down the HS, that huge disc catches air like a parachute, and when it does, it take a lot current to keep it turning. Keeping it spinning at a given RPM is only part of the equation. It goes through all kinds of external forces aside from going round and round. The bigger disc catches more air.

I would think though, that with some tuning and collective management, you could get them reasonably close. IMO, and from changing disc size, gearing and HS on same power trains, the flight time will not be the same when you fly it as hard. It might be close though.

I think you tend to enjoy the lift, size and stability more... and therefore fly it more smoothly and gracefully. Which is what makes it seem equal or better. Smacking a disc that is 7.87 inches bigger in diameter is a huge amount of force for a modest gear change to overcome.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a hard flight with the 800. He's using 6000 mah packs and only gets a 4 minute flight. Thats a 1000 mah over what people use in the 700. Same motor, same flight time. I'd love to have an 800, don't get me wrong. Buy by comparison to the 700 with the same power train- for smack 3D it looks lethargic and slow. Those big blades slow down the old 850mx quite a bit for hard collective lifting. Interestingly, for FFF and big air... the 800 seems to open up and dominate if you will. The big air part of this video is insane. I don't doubt that in FFF the big disc can move more air than the 700 can.

When comparing Szabo's videos for the 700 and 800.. I hope we can agree that Align is helping him set them up for maximum performance and he is flying it to its maximum performance. By that standard, the 800 needs bigger batteries and is still slower due to the extra disc size on the same power train and batteries needed to sustain it. (though it does appear much faster in FFF and big air).

Its no fault of the 800. There's no 900 class helicopter for Align to steal the motor off of and shoehorn into the 800. Like they've done for every other large model. :-)

Alan Szabo Jr. ALIGN Trex 800E DFC 850MX Dominator GPRO 2/6/2015 (4 min 17 sec)
Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alan flights are smack 3D so any heli will get some decent flight times.

For me its a no brainer, if you are or really pretend to be a hard 3D flyer, go for the 700. If you know your limits and don't pretend to slam it every time, get the 800.

I was in your same position 5 months ago. Debating about getting a 700l top or a 800 pro. As i'm no alan szabo neither dunkan bossion and i really think i'll never get to a similar level, i went for the 800 and i can tell you something, it's amazing in the air and have enought power and agility for me! I get 4 - 4:30 minutes with my 5000 mAh packs. Some 3D and some big air. No need to get bigger packs like alan. Lol.

Regards.
chipfuad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I definitely agree.

The 800 would be big, stable, majestic, incredibly awesome for big air and FFF.

The 700 is smack-tacular, explosive, agile, and over powered.

I was just trying to say that pound for pound, performance for performance, the 800 is going to give up a little flight time and a little lifting power.

Its the same power train in both helicopters, but one has a huge disc.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thing is, before buying mine, i received lots of coments that the 800 was too big and clumsy. That i should get a 700 to achieve decent 3D.
Watch some 800 class smack 3D videos like alan's and think if you can do better than that. If you think you can, get a 700 but if you think that's more than enought for you, definately go for the 800!
Love mine btw!

Regards.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scorpion Motor Tareq Edition and Trex DFC 800 (3 min 6 sec)
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

no collective bog here, this works for me..............
jamesmhc34 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmhc34 View Post
no collective bog here, this works for me..............
Wow! Insane power. But a 3 minute flight until LVC seems too short for me.

Long live tarek!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in