Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RIP KDS 550 :(

The heli is now defunct, total loss. The cause? Another lipo fire. Took off, saw smoke a few seconds later, landed, ran up but the canopy was already on fire and I couldn't remove it. Once I managed to rip it off the lipo had puffed and I couldn't pull it out safely.

This time I believe the battery was placed just a little too far back and rubbed against the motor pinion. Unlike the first time, I didn't have an extinguisher on hand so I had to watch as the whole thing burned to a crisp, taking all the electronics along with it. About the only thing that survived was the tail assembly...

I've been very unlucky to have two lipo fires, and would not blame the KDS design as leading to this kind of issue. That said, there is no protection that would keep this from happening. I don't remember placing the lipo any further back than usual, and made sure to tighten the two straps properly. Without some kind of lipo-block, I can see it happening to other people, so those that have 550s be sure to check before flights.

My local store had a sale on KDS 550 kits for 200 bucks but sold out. If they restock at the same price I will consider getting a new one (seeing as I have a few spare parts), otherwise I'll be looking at a trex 550 or a blade 550. I'm hesitant to stay with KDS simply because I saw 1000 bucks burn in front of me all for a tiny fault. It's very frustrating to have two crashes out of technical faults rather than flying issues, I was finally getting comfortable with the machine again.
Znybar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry about your lost heli. Hope you gind something to replace it soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear that mate
hoggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't you have made a simple battery top plate using a piece of carbon fiber?
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Couldn't you have made a simple battery top plate using a piece of carbon fiber?
In retrospect, yes, but I couldn't have foreseen the issue.

Also, frankly I shouldn't have to add parts just to keep a model from bursting into flames.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No you shouldn't but you have to use velcro on the undersides of your batteries, so they don't move. You have found out that they actually do move without it. So make sure you use it on all your r\c aircraft as well as straps to hold them down into place, sorry you lost your helicopter and stuff.
flyswatter40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Delete

Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; 11-03-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter40 View Post
No you shouldn't but you have to use velcro on the undersides of your batteries, so they don't move. You have found out that they actually do move without it. So make sure you use it on all your r\c aircraft as well as straps to hold them down into place, sorry you lost your helicopter and stuff.
I always use velcro on my lipos, and two straps on the 550. The battery didn't slip, it was just a mm or two too far back and touched the motor pinion.

Thanks Deja, I have to think long and hard if I wand another Innova or a Gaui. The innova is so cheap to build up from spare parts that I'll save heaps with another Innova (will cost me 150 bucks to build up a new frame!). Pissed off I lost my electronics, otherwise rebuilding would be a no-brainer.

The 550 also flew beautifully (when it did!), so it's a pretty tough choice between the two. I might build up the 550 frame just for kicks if I ever want something bigger.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

Quote:
I always use velcro on my lipos, and two straps on the 550. The battery didn't slip, it was just a mm or two too far back and touched the motor pinion.
for my toolbox of knowledge, what batteries were you using?
With my Zippys 5000mAh I have to put the battery all the way to the front of the frame to balance the CG. This makes putting the battery anywhere near the Pinion or main gear impossible.

I use the Velcros as well but only one large strap, have not seen the battery move yet.

Sorry for your loss though.
Kitesurfing for getting me in the sky, Helis for relaxing my brain.
Kiwidan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use those same zippies. I usually left them just out the front, I just think in this case they were just that little bit too far back.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah true, mine are not even close to the pinion, about 12mm gap. Do most of you use two Velcro straps incase one fails?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Kitesurfing for getting me in the sky, Helis for relaxing my brain.
Kiwidan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwidan View Post
Yeah true, mine are not even close to the pinion, about 12mm gap. Do most of you use two Velcro straps incase one fails?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
12mm isn't much, that's barely a finger's width. Don't way attention one day and the battery will look just as far forward as it usually did (I know it did to me!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in