Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Transmitter Handling

I have noticed that over the past few months, I have not really been progessing in my flying skills. Adding expo did help a bit, but as I got the rates up and things got squirrely, just adding a bit more expo really didnt improve things. Instead of slowing the response down, it made things more sluggish. Note that up until now I have always been a "thumbs only" flyer.

Enter the web page I found from 1rst RC Flight School. I read thier article on "Transmitter Handlling" and all of the stated benifits of two-finger stick control and started practicing with it. At first, I was useless at it on my sim. However, once I got the hang of it, my control really improved! Thumbs only flying causes you to really jerk the controls as it is a natural thumb only response. But, placing the index finger alonside the stick as well stops the thumb from jerking and thus slowing everything down. I have since found that I can greatly reduce expo and increase the rates with far better results than when I flew thumbs only.

Weather sucks, but the sim is willing. Pracitice, Practice, Practice.
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
I have noticed that over the past few months, I have not really been progessing in my flying skills. Adding expo did help a bit, but as I got the rates up and things got squirrely, just adding a bit more expo really didnt improve things. Instead of slowing the response down, it made things more sluggish. Note that up until now I have always been a "thumbs only" flyer.

Enter the web page I found from 1rst RC Flight School. I read thier article on "Transmitter Handlling" and all of the stated benifits of two-finger stick control and started practicing with it. At first, I was useless at it on my sim. However, once I got the hang of it, my control really improved! Thumbs only flying causes you to really jerk the controls as it is a natural thumb only response. But, placing the index finger alonside the stick as well stops the thumb from jerking and thus slowing everything down. I have since found that I can greatly reduce expo and increase the rates with far better results than when I flew thumbs only.

Weather sucks, but the sim is willing. Pracitice, Practice, Practice.
I've heard this too a bunch of times..problem for me is that i am an old skool R/C'er...been doing R/C cars with 2 stick transmitters for 27 years + i';d love to say i could go to the 2 finger way..but i don't ever see myself being able to do it..i've tried it on the sim and i just can't do it....
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well just like JMD I have really tried the finger and thumb method but with no success - just been using thumbs only for too long I suppose.

However I have noticed a definite improvement in my heli control by using a Tx neck strap which I never used when flying fixed wing.

I'll share with you my idea for a new style of Tx. Just look at the controls of any existing Tx and they are designed to operate as a "+". Watch your thumbs/fingers as you move the sticks to their limits in all directions and see how many muscles you are using. And answer yourself honestly, is the movement smooth? In my case it is slightly jerky.

Now imagine the stick gimbals being re-designed as a "x". Try the test above and see what you think. In my case things are much smoother.

So now the idea is in the public domain messers "Futatec" are free to develop it and make the skies safer and themselves a fortune in 2012

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried the thumb/finger "pinch method" when I got my first TX ever as I knew the control would bee much smoother and precision. Problem was it felt weird.
You need a neck strap to do it and not being able to hold the TX in my hands made things feel even weirder.
In the end im very happy with the thumb method and my choice of mode 1
Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finger and thumb here. The way I was taught when I started flying gliders as a boy. To the flying club, flying with thumbs was a no no.
I have to say, as Chris points out, when it comes to tiny movements, I think you get better feed back with finger and thumb. You are in theory using 2 axis instead of one. By that I mean, finger and thumb are 90 degrees to one another, I am sure the brain can get a better feed back of how much the stick is being moved because both your finger and thumb are moving at the same time. I have tried going back to thumbs as it makes holding the transmitter much easier, as VL says, but didn't work for me. I just think I have a better feel by the "2 axis" method. It's all down to personal choice I think. If it works, stick with it. If you struggle, try the other method. No one is write or wrong here.

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i know i'm limiting my future heli skills by being thumbs only..and it sucks to know that....i can definately see you get more control..i just can't override so much time as a thumbs driver and flyer...and it sucks...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
i know i'm limiting my future heli skills by being thumbs only....
Dont bee so harsh on yourself Dan, theres a lot of award winning heli pilots that fly thumbs only. Loosing a little percision wont make that big a difference.

HELLO CRAIG!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nobody showed me how to do it, so I just started with what felt natural and that was to use both finger and thumb. I'm surprised--I usually pick the worst possible method when I start something new and then spend years trying to "unlearn" it.
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have seen some super 3d airplane guys fly awsome with thumb only. The 3D heliguys seem to be more thumb / finger pinch types types. Personally, I have watched a few pinch transmitter techiniques and they don't really "pinch the sticks" as I originally thought. Tried it by pinching the sticks with my thumb and index inger and failed miserably!. Upon a closer look the pinch method is a bit different that you would think.

First, use no neck strap or platform. grasp the transmitter bottom with your last three fingers. Now, put your thumb on the tops of your sticks like you normallly do when thumb flying. Note that your thums are a little bit off the outside of the stick rims, then place your index finger on the front of the stick stem. this is the true "pinch method" Notice that you are not pinching the sticks at all. So, if your past pinch method was'nt work for you. That is why. It was wrong. Nobody can fly that way! But it is what we assume to be correct. It is not. Using a strap or platfom totally interferes with this style. You have to be holding the transmitter in your hands.

Proper pinch method is just a very slight mod of the thumbs only technique. And you can alternate styles. thumb when slamming, place your forfinger on the front of the sticks for more sensitivity. After a few hours practicing this way. I have really improved my contol.

(I got this info over the net on IMAC precision style transmitter handling techniques).
Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whoops fergot sumpin. your bottom two fingers are holding the transmitter bottom your middle finger is either under, or on top of your Idle up left side and rudder/dr switches on the top/front of your transmitter.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet-Lama View Post

HELLO CRAIG!
HI SCOT my old friend

Cheers, OD.

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cheers, OD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in