Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #121 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Great job. I remember those days well. Save the vid, you will love looking at it later!
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdboogieman
after watching bobs video on throttle/pitch curves i was able to fine tune and have better success at hovering 2 battery charges later and it is getting better.

i have not messed with my expo due to my ignorance of my radio. optic 6

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32619832156332
Wow, trememdous improvement from hover 3. You're really picking this up fast!

What expo (exponential) does is increase or decrease the amount of servo movement for a the amount of stick that you use. Similar to the "acceleration" setting on your PC mouse.

Positive expo means a little stick movement will mean a more servo movement, negative expo means there will be less servo movement for the same amount of stick.

To access the menu in the optic 6, press the edit up and edit down keys simultaneously, then press either edit up or edit down to acess the EXP menu.

CH1 controls the aileron (left / right cyclic)
CH2 controls the elevator (front / back cyclic)
CH4 controls the rudder (yaw)

To reduce the amount of servo travel for stick movement and "soften" the feel around center stick, input negative expo.

When I was starting out, I had CH1 and CH2 set to around -60 or so, -20 on Ch4.

Try it out and see if you like it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #123 (permalink)

will setting expo to -60 on 1 and 2 help or change my pitch curve?

the issue im was having is one "notch/detent" of left throttle/collective stick is the differance between a 4" hover or 5' of climb. by watching the pitch/throttle curve video i was able to have 2 detents for same 5' climb. this is at 3/4 stick. is there a way to stiffen the detents on an optic 6? :?:
sdboogieman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

take the tx apart and slide some tube or wrap some tape over the rachet leaf spring. It will give you a smooth slight-friction action. ie not notchy.
flymo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default videos

Its great to see everyone fly, we normally only see intermediate to expert pilots fly.

I noticed bob saying something about yellow fiber blades, what wrong with them? i use it all the time because my carbon blades got dinged up.
mhouse974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #126 (permalink)

Flew today in some gusty winds and I have to say I am very impressed with how the Trex SE handeled it!

Here are vids:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12289964&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89941691&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82059655&hl=en

One more is being processed by google. Ill link to it as soon as I can.

Enjoy!

-Gagi
gagi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #127 (permalink)

Ok it takes Google some time to process videos so here is one of a couple days ago that was taken with a real DV camera. It is much better quality than my other ones but it is 12 minutes long!

The first half is no zoom, and the second half my cameraman learned to zoom. As you can guess it’s a bit jerky but it gives you the idea what my bird can do. No insane 3D just yet, but I did ROLL the bird for the first time today; a video of that will be up soon.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74950638096178

-Gagi
Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doing great gagi!
ormandj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #129 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Gagi.. I like that you have your head speed up!
BUT Oooo MAN... Listen to your head speed changes! Why in PITCH up is your head speed climbing so much? A serious pitch to throttle curve issue.
Are you in idle up in this vid? I have to assume NO?
If you are then your middle point is WAY too low.

The "object" of the game is to have a constant head speed through-out all manuvers. I cant stress this enough! You ESC and motor will love you better and so will most the parts in the heli as the loads dont change as drastrically and thus less wear..... AND performance is just better all around!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #130 (permalink)

I do have my thottle curve pretty low at mid stick. I guess I should figure out how to transition smoother from my Normal mode to my idel to idel 2.

I will look into it. Good comments Bob and ormandj!

-Gagi
Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #131 (permalink)

Since about 3 weeks I'm flying the Trex. My former helicopter was a dragonfly 04.

This video shows some stall turns and hover during a very windy day. Nothing really fancy but for me it's a new stage . The flight ends with a striped servo gear during flight, which flips the heli out of control . Fortunatly it landed hard on the training gear, the damage is only a scratch on a rotor blade and that striped servo gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTEGSWZCfU

450 SE
3x Hitec HS56b
Futuba gyro 401 + 9650 digital servo
Stock motor and 35g esc
Lipo thunderpower TP2100
Align 315 simple wooden blades
JR 6102 (MX12) tx, R700 rx
Bigbird_NL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #132 (permalink)

about 5 months of flying, nothing real fancy, just having fun on a windy day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvRUfHTPKU
enigma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #133 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Lookin good enigma!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #134 (permalink)

Thanks finless! Seems yesterday I was struggling with inverted and nose in! The experience I get from playing hard with the rex really pays off when flying my Logo ap rig.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

enigma I noticed your using Align pro black blades, i have the same pair but mine fits very tightly into my aluminum blade grips, did you have to sand down your blades? (i was thinking about using pliyers to open it up a little but i wasnt if it'll be alright) BTW nice flying!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #136 (permalink)

Thanks! I take off the root covers and sand down the "covering" a bit, then if needed I take a little off the plastic pieces.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 AM   #137 (permalink)

Finally Google Video has processed my Rolls video. Pardon all the talking on camera but here is me doing some rolls!

I have gotten into rolling both left and right along with backflips and loops!

Me Rolling The Trex Around:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...44364238&hl=en
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great flight Gagi.

You seem very comfortable rolling. Your heli sounds real powerful. Is that a stock SE, with a 2100 and a 13t pinion? What do you have your pitch at?

Sorry about all the questions, just jealous I guess. I'm ready to attempt rolls and flips, I just chicken out when i'm at the field.

Thanks, and great flying
Holeshot114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also gagi what were you doing spining the rotor head at the begining of the video?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #140 (permalink)

No worries Holeshot114,

I fly a completely stock SE however I do have the CF boom, after my first crash.

In this video I have my pitch at +/- 10 degrees with my throttle 100 85 100.

All in all I am more than satisfied with how it fly’s. It punches out pretty fast, but I think I can get more of a kick with 11 degrees of pitch. Just have to give it a shot.

It is a 13T and TP 2100.

Keep your belt tight lubed and your swash level and you should be all set.

Head speed is also a huge factor, so get your throttle as close as you can to 100% at full pitch and slightly less than 100 at zero pitch. The whole point is to keep around 3k RPM throughout out the whole pitch range. This will keep the bird as rotationally stable as possible, making for a rock solid tail.

-Gagi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in