Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Event Forum

R/C Helicopter Event Forum Please add your events to this forum so people know where the action is

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default 5th Annual Helifreak Fun Fly - October 10-13, 2013 Anderson, CA

Here we go again! We are VERY pleased to announce the Official 2013 HeliFreak Fun Fly! (AMA Sanction Number 13-1969)

Unfortunately we've outgrown the Southern California location so we're headed to Northern California as guests of the Northern California RC Unlimited Flyers. A BIG thanks to the Board and members of NCRCUF for inviting us - they have no idea what they're in for! [insert evil grin here]

Additional thanks to Tony Whiteside of Camp Hardcore and Greggor McGrath of A-Main Hobbies for the initial discussions of this year's event.

A very special thank you to Curtis Raimondi for stepping up to be this year's Contest Director. Curtis has a very large task cut out for him but seems to be up to the challenge. Kevin (Skiddz) will be helping out as Co-CD to take a little of the burden off Curtis's shoulders.

As always, this event will be classic HeliFreak! No Commercial BS, no manufacturer demos - just pure flying, fun and friends!!

Pro/Sponsored Pilots confirmed so far: (If you are a Pro/Sponsored pilot and you want to attend, come on out!!! We love having you guys hang out and fly with us! )

"Hardcore" Tony Whiteside
Darrin "Chainsaw" Reed
Frank Columbia
Greggor McGrath
Kyle Dahl
Tim "The Game Changer" Jones
Devin LeBlanc
Brian Tran
Andrew Merlino
Jesse Kavros
Jacob Gitin

Sponsors
---------------------

AMain Hobbies
AleeS RC
Avant RC
BavarianDEMON
Compass Model
Cyclone Blades
GENS Ace
HeliDirect
KBDD
KDE Direct
KDS Model
OMG
Pro Star Hobbies
Progressive RC
RANDOM Heli
RC Booya
RCHeli Canada
RC Heliworkz
RC Logger
RDLohr's Clearly Superior Products
ReadyHeli
Ron's Heliproz South
SAB
Scorpion
Sick Canopy
Spartan RC
Synergy
TekDrones

If you would like to help out the event with a sponsorship donation, please contact Kevin (Skiddz) or Will (WillJames).

• Tent Campers welcome!
• RV's Welcome! (No hookups)
• Night Flying from dusk to midnight! (and perhaps beyond??)
• Food once again provided by Northern California RC Unlimited Flyers all day long.

Kevin "Skiddz" Spousta, Will James and Tony Whiteside will be the Helifreak "liasons" to NCRCUF. We're going to do things a little different this year with more impromptu clinics and a more personable approach to the entire event - sort of like bringing the Helifreak website "vibe" to real life.

We will be pushing online registration again this year. We're going to need to do a bit of work to get a registration page built and published and we anticipate that being available in the next 6 to 8 weeks. Again, online registration helps us confirm AMA status ahead of time and get everyone past the registration desk as quickly as possible. It also helps us plan for food/beverages and other "necessities". Pilot registration fees have been determined. We didn't want to do it, but a review of last year's expense numbers kind of forced our hand so fees for this year will be $25, regardless if you pre-register (Assuming we actually get the thing working) or register on-site.

We hope to see you all there. It's a great location and a great opportunity for us 'freaks to get together and have a GREAT TIME HF Style.

AMA Sanction Number: 13-1969

***Any commercial media ventures (magazines online and offline, web forums, web sites, blogs, etc.) will be REQUIRED to have media "Press" badges for all their photographers and videographers who attend the event. ALL Commercial media representatives MUST contact Will James by PM or email for preregistration of press credentials and clearly display them at all times during event hours. This is NOT negotiable and NO press passes will be issued at the time of the event.***

Be sure to check this post and the following one from time to time as the most current information will always be available here.

Will, if you would be so kind as to enable the countdown again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Announcement Art2.png
Views:	8555
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	401861  

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos

Last edited by Skiddz; 10-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Added more pilots.
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK, info is starting to come together.. Keep checking this post and the first post in the thread as info will be updated as it becomes available.

Where

This year, we're headed to Northern California as guests of the Northern California Radio Control Unlimited Flyers at Ash Creek RC Park. The park is located near the intersection of Ash Creek Road and Coleman Fish Hatchery Road. See the Travel section below for directions.

GPS Coordinates are 40.423863,-122.16957 for those of you who can't read a map. (Those should put you in the parking lot)

Pilot Fees

We've tried to keep the event fees as low as we can, but a review of last year's expenses and the move to a 4-day event made us realize we're going to have to bump the fees up a bit. Pre-registration will be $25 and on-site will be $30. As usual, that fee will include 1 ticket for the pilot's raffle.

Food

Like we've done for the past couple years, we're going to make food available all day long, but there's something a little more special this year. *ALL* food proceeds are going to be donated to the Missing In America Project. Please make a donation each and every time you get something to eat.

The purpose of the MIA Project is to locate, identify and inter the unclaimed cremated remains of American veterans through the joint efforts of private, state and federal organizations. To provide honor and respect to those who have served this country by securing a final resting place for these forgotten heroes.

For more info, please visit their web page at http://www.miap.us

Raffle

We anticipate a nice selection of prizes from our always awesome sponsors. As we did the past two years, the raffle is for registered pilots only. Tickets will be $1.00 each and pilots may buy up to 25 tickets in addition to the ticket they will receive as part of their event fee. We feel that this is a fair way to keep someone from loading the ticket jar in their favor and keeps the odds even for everyone who decides to "max out" on tickets.

We will also reserve a few select prizes for the people who volunteer during the event. Each 2 hour shift will net you one entry into this prize pool.

Please be aware that HeliFreak Staff, NCRCUF/Ash Creek Board Members are NOT eligible whether they're registered pilots or not. Any general member of either Helifreak.com or NCRCUF/Ash Creek *is* eligible *if* they are a registered pilot.

Travel -

If you'll be flying in, your best bet will be to fly into San Francisco International (KSFO) or Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (KOAK) and then fly into Redding Municipal Airport (KRDD) The Ash Creek RC Field is about 12 miles from the airport.

Alternately, you can fly into Sacramento and make the 150 mile drive to Anderson.

If you're driving:

From Interstate 5 North - Exit 667 toward Deschutes Road. Turn left at Factory Outlets Drive. Continue onto Deschutes Road. Turn right at Balls Ferry Road. Turn Left at Ash Creek Road/County Highway A17. The entrance to the field is on your right just before Ash Creek Road turns left.

From Interstate 5 South - Exit 664 towards Gas Point Road. Turn Right onto 4th Street. Turn left at Balls Ferry Road. Keep right to stay on Balls Ferry Road. Turn right at Ash Creek Road/County Highway A17. The entrance to the field is on your right just before Ash Creek Road turns left.

If you're between exits 664 and 667, you should know the area far better than we do and you're on your own.

HF user Himilou was kind enough to run up a map for us:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5d543a27&msa=0

Lodging -

I'll need to confirm tent camping with the club, but RV camping will be available on a first come, first served basis. There are no hookups or potable water on-site. We'll try to find a nearby location where you can fill your freshwater tanks and maybe even a dump station or two.

If you won't be doing the RV thing, there are a number of hotels/motels in the area which are listed below. Distances from the field / Airport are estimated based on Google Maps and the airnav.com website:

BAYMONT INN & SUITES ANDERSON - 7.9 / 5.0
BEST WESTERN PLUS ANDERSON INN - 8.1 / 3.9
GAIA HOTEL & SPA SHASTA - 9.5 / 2.7
SUPER 8 REDDING CA - 15.9 / 3.5
HILTON GARDEN INN REDDING - 16.0 / 3.8
HOWARD JOHNSON EXPRESS INN - REDDING - 18.3 / 5.4
BAYMONT INN AND SUITES REDDING - 18.4 / 5.4
BEST WESTERN PLUS HILLTOP INN - 18.4 / 5.6
LA QUINTA INN & SUITES REDDING - 18.5 / 5.7
VAGABOND INN REDDING - 18.5 / 5.6
QUALITY INN - 18.6 / 5.8
OXFORD SUITES REDDING - 18.8 / 5.9
COMFORT INN REDDING - 18.8 / 5.8
HAMPTON INN & SUITES REDDING - 18.8 / 5.6
HOLIDAY INN REDDING - 18.8 / 5.9
RAMADA LIMITED REDDING - 21.9 / 8.8

RV Camping and Rental

Two RV rental companies are nearby if you'd like to rent a travel trailer to stay on-site during the event.

Anderson RV Sales, Inc.
Mary Ann Sturges
530-378-1993
http://andersonrvsalesandrentals.com/contact.php

TowTally Camping
Danielle Dickinson
530-355-5870
http://towtallycamping.com/contact-us/

Be sure to mention Helifreak when you call.

Curtis (Our CD) says there is well water at the site, but he's not sure how much will be available to fill RV tanks. We suggest you either fill up before leaving home, or find an RV park nearby to fill up with potable water.

KOA runs quite a few campgrounds nationwide and you can find them here: http://koa.com/find-a-koa/

Shipping Fuel/Tools/Helis

Many people have asked where they might be able to ship their gear/fuel. Greggor McGrath from A-main has graciously offered to accept your fuel shipments:

Send your fuel to:

A Main Hobbies
HeliFreak Fun Fly
[your name]
424 Otterson Drive
Chico, CA 95928
USA

1-530-894-0797

Follow up with an email to Greggor (greggorm@amainhobbies.com) and let him know when and how much you're sending. He'll bring it over with the A-main guys when they make the drive.

Gear/Helis can be sent to:

J&H Diesel
Attn: [your name]
Helifreak Fun Fly
875 Twin View Blvd
Redding, CA 96003

or
[Your Name]
FedEx Shipping Center
6775 Woodrum Circle
Redding, CA 96002

*** MAKE SURE IF YOU'RE SENDING YOUR PACKAGES HERE, YOU CHECK "HOLD AT FEDEX LOCATION" ON THE WAYBILL!! ***

You will need to pick up your gear in person as we have no way to transport your shipment from the shop to the field.

As far as we know, shipping back will be ok via J&H, but ***MAKE SURE*** you have pre-addressed shipping labels, tape etc to get your gear ready to go. You will need to get it to the shop on your own.

Remember, these folks are doing you a large favor; make it as easy and convenient as possible on them.

Last edited by Skiddz; 10-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Added another ship location
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bravo, Team HF!

Let's start now with our appreciation of all the hard work that goes into this.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All right it's on. Thanks for all the work that it takes to put this on. I'll be there for sure Nice to meet some fellow freaks.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

NORCAL!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Many thanks to Will James, Tony White Side, Kevin Spousta, Greggor McGratch+Amain, to the volunteer Contest Director Curtis Raimondi and to all those who participate in making this event impossible to miss!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Wow. I don't think we are going to be getting any noise complaints at that field!
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Awesome, now how the heck do I get there from Down Under
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

AWESOME!! Can't wait to see everybody again!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky Cactus View Post
Wow. I don't think we are going to be getting any noise complaints at that field!
I guarantee you will not get any noise complaints from outside the field !
bosco49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Awesome, now how the heck do I get there from Down Under
Fly to SFO then to KRDD
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

who flew into KRDD have stayed at...

MilesLA QUINTA INN & SUITES REDDING 5.7 - BAYMONT INN AND SUITES REDDING 5.4 BEST WESTERN PLUS ANDERSON INN 3.9 RAMADA LIMITED REDDING 8.8 GAIA HOTEL & SPA SHASTA 2.7 OXFORD SUITES REDDING 5.9 COMFORT INN REDDING 5.8 QUALITY INN 5.8 SUPER 8 REDDING CA 3.5 Other hotels near Redding Municipal Airport

MilesHILTON GARDEN INN REDDING 3.8 BAYMONT INN & SUITES ANDERSON 5.0 HOWARD JOHNSON EXPRESS INN - REDDING 5.4 VAGABOND INN REDDING 5.6 BEST WESTERN PLUS HILLTOP INN 5.6 HAMPTON INN & SUITES REDDING 5.6 HOLIDAY INN REDDING 5.9
Distances are approximate, and may vary depending on the actual route traveled and the location of the travel start on the airport.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm going

Can't wait!

XFC 2006/7/8/11
Leon Luke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 5th Annual Helifreak Fun Fly - October 10-13, 2013 Anderson, CA

Cant wait! X10

Sent from my Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad
Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

there are no "flying hours" restrictions at ash creek.the only noise complaints that may arise would be from those who are staying at the field.for those of you who fish,this part of the sacramento river is a world class trout fishery,lots of guides and even more fish.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Three days out.... three days back... and 4 great days of fun and friends at one of the best events in the country....
The perfect 10 day vacation.....

Count me in...

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Just remember Doug, no flying that bad-ass Whiplash the week before the event.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also you can bring your firearms and do some ''can'' shooting just north of the flying field...its BLM land.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No worries... I have two that each try to out "Badd" the other so we will have plenty to keep even Tim "High Needle" Jones and anyone else having fun.....

Can't wait...

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 004ustamok View Post
there are no "flying hours" restrictions at ash creek.the only noise complaints that may arise would be from those who are staying at the field.
haha, that makes me glad I'm not the CD this time around then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in