Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Auto bailout affecting Gov operation?

I have a new Mezon 90 ESC with the latest firmware on a Logo600.
Could not get the internal governor to work properly, had a tail kick I could not get rid of almost like it could not react to changes in the headspeed quickly enough.

So I got a Hobbywing RPM Sensor, wired to the iKon for Gov and then got this fast oscillation and whine from the tail like it was hunting because the gain was too high. Ended up going lower and lower on the head and tail gains and at some point during this process I disabled the autorotation bailout function in the ESC as I didn’t want an unexpected spoolup while messing around.

All of a sudden tail was rock solid as was the headspeed. I thought I had just reduced the gains to the point it was working properly but this weekend I enabled the auto bailout again and the tail whine was back. Immediately disabled the auto bailout, no other changes, and back to normal. So what’s the problem? Why would the auto function produce a tail oscillation?
bikerlee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting, I had lots of problems with the gov on the M90 and was running the auto bailout.
It will be interesting to see if it's better with it turned off.

I gave up and went back to using the Kontronic controller as the M90 was just no where near as good a governor and as you noted, it effected the tail.
I'm running a Goblin 500 here.
Voyager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using auto bailout on all my helis with Mezon 90 and 130 without issues.

Edit: I'm using internal Mezon governor and V-Bar governor.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Auto bailout affecting Gov operation?

I use the 90 and 130 with the internal gov.

My initial setup was with the 130 and I had a massive tail kick. It turned out that I was over geared for the setup I had when switching from a CC controller. I corrected my motor pulley and it was then right on the money.

I have auto bailout set as well, again, with no issue.

Happy to share my settings but maybe easier if you post all of your Mezon settings and your gearing combo?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Using a 450kv Pyro motor with a 13 tooth pinion with headspeeds of 1900 in ID1 and 2200 in ID2. In the Mezon I have 5 deg of timing (helped lessen the tail kick from auto), 8Hz frequency and set to fast response.

Again, this is governed by the ikon and works perfectly without auto bailout set.

Before the 90 I had a Jive 80 which also worked perfectly well, while it was back at K I put a Mezon 130 that I bought for the Diabolo on it. Weirdly I just set this to internal gov never touched it and never had any problems. Now the 130 is in the Diabolo I have the same problems as I'm having with the Logo.

The Diabolo has a Pyro 750-500 with a pinion and gearing that Chuck at Peak says to use so should not be over geared either.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Danny asked me to make a video, didn't come out great but hopefully can see the difference. First part is with the auto bailout turned off, tail is rock solid. The second part is with it on, hard to see the tail wag at the end but can hear it. Was trying to show the change on the TX screen but just succeeded in filming my chin.
Also, this was with the Mezon 130 in the Diabolo, exactly the same is happening with the Mezon 90 in the Logo.

Mezon Auto bailout Setting (1 min 18 sec)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a quick update, went from an 18 to a 17 tooth pinon on the Diabolo as I read over gearing can be a problem for the internal gov. Made no difference, still getting a tail kick.

How close should the Mezon gov (or any gov really) maintain set headspeed? I was finding a plus/minus of around 100 rpm on average with peaks nearly 170 rpm.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found about the same with the gov on the meson.
Do you still find it holds better with the auto bailout off?

I find the drop in RPM with the mezon a little more than with the Kontronic.
Strangely, it effects the flight a lot. Not sure what in the feedback control of the mezon causes the problems but I don't have tail kick with the Kontronic and I do with the Mezon.
RPM drop is 125 to 175 with the Mezon and 75 to 150 with the Kontronic.
Not much of a difference but the effect on actual flying is huge.

I think anyone used to CC and other junk controllers would not notice this but it really stands out if you compare to Kontronic.

I really wanted to like the Mezon as I have the DS-16 but it just doesn't do it for me :-(
Voyager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still have the problem when the bailout is on, going to try turning the motor timing back to auto tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Yeah, really want to like the controller as it's seamless telemetry to the DS-16. If I can't get it working nicely with the iKon gov might have to cave and get a Kosmik and JLog, but having just bought two Mezons it's going to be tough to justify.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in