Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sloppy head. Is this normal? Video of mine showing how much play. Let me know!

Sloppy head. Is this normal? Video of mine showing how much play. Let me know! (0 min 51 sec)

Here's the weird thing right, it's put together correctly. I'm assuming this is normal for this head?

I'm a flybar guy. This is my first FBL Head assembly and I really want to nail this build.
R/C Planes '84-'85, Cars '85-'92, Heli's 2008-Now. AMA Lifetime Member #L1337, IRCHA #3930, TREX TB70, Blade 300cfx, Fusion 180, 230SNight, TRex 500e FB, TRex 500L Dominator FBL, & Spektrum DX9. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalteleprosy
Squiggy Wigginz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sloppy what?

Don S is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't fly Align but, I assume you have to shim the head to take up the slop. Someone who flys Align will chime in I am sure.
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have any DFC models, but I'd be shocked if it's supposed to be like that.

Are there any washers included that you maybe forgot to slip in? I know you say it's assembled correctly but, well, something's screwy.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Squiggy,

As the previous poster said, "are you sure you have it together properly?''

A new DFC head assay' should not have that much lateral play (after several flights, maybe. But thats a different thread....lol).
Is it just one Blade grip moving or are both lead, lag on the spindle?

I would dis-assemble the thrust bearing assay' to double check the groupsets have the Thrust race, washers oriented correctly and to ensure all are seated correctly, including bearings
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an align 700 and used to have 600. Never had one like that.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It didn't seem right to me. Maybe I'll take it apart again tomorrow. But far as I know, it's set up correctly.

Guess it doesn't really matter since the blades are spinning outward at 180 degrees.
R/C Planes '84-'85, Cars '85-'92, Heli's 2008-Now. AMA Lifetime Member #L1337, IRCHA #3930, TREX TB70, Blade 300cfx, Fusion 180, 230SNight, TRex 500e FB, TRex 500L Dominator FBL, & Spektrum DX9. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalteleprosy
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The feathering shaft is going to choose one way or the other to bottom out so it could cause a wobble. Nothing is keeping it evenly spaced
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggy Wigginz View Post
Guess it doesn't really matter since the blades are spinning outward at 180 degrees.
It will if there's an equipment failure due to uneven loads.
You don't want the spindle/blades ejecting

Best to double check.
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

my 130x had some slop but not that much. it always tells you you missed something.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some other brands of helis come with thin spacers to take up slack. Not align, there should just be 1 washer on each side of the head block. If you have both of those installed, there's really not anything else you could have done wrong. It seems like you had at least a millimeter of play which is a lot. I'm assuming you made sure the spindle bolts were all the way tight. One time I brought my heli in after a flight and had a couple mm play from one of the bolts getting loose, but there was no wobble in flight so it could possibly be alright but it still doesn't make sense. Seems to be an issue with one of the parts, but you won't know which one. Could be spindle, dampeners, head block, or grips
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is too much. The grips may move up and down a bit (flapping action), but shouldn't move apart from each other along the feathering shaft.

Check if you used the right length screws on the feathering shaft (too ling screw won't go in as far), and if one of the shims inside the grip fell out while building. You have to screw in the screws quite tight on a DFC head, to the point where the grips actually don't rotate down due to gravity. When you spool up the first time, it grinds the plastic dampener enough to make it silky smooth with no slop.

I wouldn't fly like that, I had a similar play on the 450 once and after 1 flights, there was quite a lot of play and the bolt basically came out of the feathering shaft itself.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would shim that head.
With that kind of slop, dampers are too loose and don't make their work as they should.
Some 0.2mm shims are handy for this.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
I would shim that head.
With that kind of slop, dampers are too loose and don't make their work as they should.
Some 0.2mm shims are handy for this.
+1

No way I would not fly any heli with slop in the head like that. You're just asking for a mechanical failure.

Like others have said.....either there's a washer missing, spindle bolts too long, or you just need to shim it.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
Some other brands of helis come with thin spacers to take up slack. Not align, there should just be 1 washer on each side of the head block. If you have both of those installed, there's really not anything else you could have done wrong. It seems like you had at least a millimeter of play which is a lot. I'm assuming you made sure the spindle bolts were all the way tight. One time I brought my heli in after a flight and had a couple mm play from one of the bolts getting loose, but there was no wobble in flight so it could possibly be alright but it still doesn't make sense. Seems to be an issue with one of the parts, but you won't know which one. Could be spindle, dampeners, head block, or grips
I'm going to take it back apart and put in a couple new dampers (I have spares of nearly everything).
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure the grip bolts are all the way tight. I had the same problem with mine until I tightened down a little harder on the bolts.
nickt919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Should be No Play at all like that. That amount would occur if the bearing spacer was missing between the damper and inner blade grip bearing.
When all is correct and tightened It will be SOLID.
2x Trex 450 V2/V3 Custom CF Align/EXI, Walkera 4f200V Killer little machine !!
3dmac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once when I was assembling a head one of the washers got snagged on the shoulder on the feathering shaft, instead of sliding down onto the wider part of the shaft. That prevented things going in as far as they should, even though the bolt seemed to be fully tightened down.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had the same problem with the same head. But also, with the main blades on, i had play when moving blades up and down when grabing blades from the tips. But it was more play on one of the main blade grips. You have to check if the play is in both main grips. I replaced the main grip, and improved a lot, but still had lateral play has you show on your video. So i shimed the feathering shaft 0.25mm on both sides. Now i have minimal play. So in my case it was a defective main grip, with a lot slop on the inside.
First try to shim the feathering shaft to have a tighter adjustment, or if you dont want to shim, use extra spacers on both sides. If you get rid of the lateral slop with this, now check that you dont have to much up and down play has i had.
Phil79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Same Deal

I have the same thing with my head.
tomtheman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
head slop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in