Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip Speed Calculator.zip (305.1 KB, 115 views)
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very interested to hear the results of Danny's test flights. Hoping for some good weather up in Ohio.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
fatalsync is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post
Very interested to hear the results of Danny's test flights. Hoping for some good weather up in Ohio.
cold and snow yesterday, just got up and halve to be to work in 2 hours, just looked out the window and its snowing again,

monday is said to be 50o out, i have plans to fly monday hopefully that works out..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good stuff. Thanks Harrow & Danny.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

fingers crossed for flying tomorrow, 50o but 25mph winds. had arrangements to go flying with a friend but i am not sure he will want to fly in the wind. ill find out when he calls me tomorrow,

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
fingers crossed for flying tomorrow, 50o but 25mph winds. had arrangements to go flying with a friend but i am not sure he will want to fly in the wind. ill find out when he calls me tomorrow,
Every time I see you have added a post to this thread I think "great, can't wait to hear Danny's report", then all I see is that you are still snowed in, LOL.
Harrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Every time I see you have added a post to this thread I think "great, can't wait to hear Danny's report", then all I see is that you are still snowed in, LOL.
ohio sucks in the winter time. still lots of snow on the ground, its all wet and starting to melt, lots of wind already.. still planning on going out today if possibel but we got a 90% chance of rain this morning... life is bad lol...

Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got 4-5 flights in last Friday here in Texas. Gov set on High. First flight was set as 70 on St1 and 74 on St2. Settled on ST1 -72 and ST2 on 73.75. The .75 part is I can move the rolling selector switch on my 11X three times before seeing 74. Gov seems to be working quite well. Will spend some time learning / watching some friends flying the high end ESC to understand what I might be missing with the Gaui / Hobbywing part versus a $300+ part.

Rob
onemetre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Danny what headspeed are you shooting for?

Thanks and Gig 'Em
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Danny what headspeed are you shooting for?
no idea, i am new to the X5, so i have not figured out what is going to work best for me, before i put the gov on i was getting between 2500 and 6600 rpm according to the tach, i liked that.

now that the gov is on i would imagine i am getting less, just took it out and flew it, tried 73%, 74%, 75%, and 76% throttle,

75 felt good, 74% or lower and the motor did not sound healthy and it seemed a bit sloppy, right at 75% the motor sounded like it was preforming the way it should and the head speed felt ok

something feels a bit funny when i have the gov on though, i cant pin point what it is but someting just feels funny, say i am going into a stall turn and get to full collective, i don't know if it sounds strange or it feels strange or what but i just know something seems out of place. running 11.5o of pitch. for general flying the gov seems pretty good but i am still not thrilled with it.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

15T pinion right?

Thanks and Gig 'Em
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
15T pinion right?

yep...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock gearing with hyperion 4200 40C pack was 2800 on the nose at 75% in gov mode. We're sitting at 2560 or so at 74. YMMV

Rob
onemetre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well i halve turned the gov off, it's just not good enough, also, i still think there is something funny about it but i just cant put my finger on what it is probably that it does not work as good as i what i am accustomed to

and it will probably do me some good to fly with out one, get that collective management dialed in.. i assume if your collective management is good enough you would not need the gov.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well 2650 rpm 11o of collective pitch, no gov, throttle curve of 100-95-92-95-100, beast x in transmitter mode, rates at 105% on cyclic, 90% on the tail, tail gain at 42.5% not using any of the precomp or extra features like that on the beast x pot 1 is one mark past center and the other 2 pots are centered,

she flew like a dream today, loving it, i miss the extra pop i got with 12o of collective pitch but the throttle stick does not feel overly sensitive now and its still got plenty of pop,

loving the X5 flew it hard and loved it,

now my 450, went up for a warm up flight, was doing some piro flips about a foot off the ground, heard the motor speed up and when i gave it negative pitch it did not respond, looks like 100 bucks worth of damage, the damn pinion slipped, i guess i need to make a flat spot on the motor shaft.

new blades, new blade grips, new head links, new shafts, hopefully just a stripped gear in my mks servo, and probably a few other things. i only seem to crash when something goes wrong. and man that pisses me off, i dont mind crashing if i dumb thumb it but i would say 75% of my crashes were due to something failing.

well i crashed the SR over 100 times and most of that was my fault but that is a different story, i was new to the hobby and flying about 10X above my skill level. but that's how i got good fast.. the way i had it set up and the blades i had on it usually i just needed to replace the feathering shaft and that was it, usually i would pick it up and fly it again after it went down, some times5 or 6 crashes before it was too messed up to fly.. that was definitely a good choice to learn to fly a CP helicopter, about 30 main shafts, 3 sets of blades, 10 main gears, 2 blade grips, one frame and 2 sets of landing skids, over 100 crashes and that is all that broke, the sr was a awesome little machine, too bad they dont make it with a belt instead of the tail motor. if the tail did not blow out all the time i would still enjoy flying it..

Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Harrow,
Thanks for sharing this info. Funny thing is I'm building a Logo500 with a Gaui 100 ESC. I am familiar with Kontronik Governor setting, so I was expecting a completely different learning curve turns out is pretty much the same. One question: on my Jazz and Jive I set my Normal to 0 60 60 60 60 and then in "Idle 1" 65 Flat across and "Idle 2" 70 Flat across. I did the same thing for my Gaui ESC, since I'm not familiar with it's tendencies will my Normal curve of 0 60 60 60 60 be nice and smooth spooling up using extreme soft start with no bad tendencies and are my settings in sync with your findings.

Regards,
Victor
vteknical is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteknical View Post
Harrow,
Thanks for sharing this info. Funny thing is I'm building a Logo500 with a Gaui 100 ESC. I am familiar with Kontronik Governor setting, so I was expecting a completely different learning curve turns out is pretty much the same. One question: on my Jazz and Jive I set my Normal to 0 60 60 60 60 and then in "Idle 1" 65 Flat across and "Idle 2" 70 Flat across. I did the same thing for my Gaui ESC, since I'm not familiar with it's tendencies will my Normal curve of 0 60 60 60 60 be nice and smooth spooling up using extreme soft start with no bad tendencies and are my settings in sync with your findings.

Regards,
Victor
Any thing under 75% was not good IMO motor sounded power hungry and it flew sloppy,

76% felt the best to me but I like the x5 better without the gov, the stock gov did not really cut the mustard for me, after a number of flights I decided it was better with out this stock gov

Sent from Samsung galaxy player, spelling and grammar might be worse than usual.....

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Harrow,

are my settings in sync with your findings.

Regards,
Victor
Victor,

If you are using a different motor, or different gear ratios, then it's not possible to make a comparison of throttle values, and also even within this thread, we have seen people get different results from different radios. Also, you cannot just take a governor setting from one ESC and use it on another because they use different translation tables within the governor. Below is the generalised procedure you need to follow that should allow you to work out your setting for any application. I hope that reading it will give an understanding of the whole concept, but you could use it simply as a recipe:

1. Decide what head speed you are after. (let's say 2200 rpm for this example)

2. Work out what motor rpm you will need to achieve this. (let's say you have main gear of 120 and pinion of 15, then motor rpm would be: 2200 x 120/15 = 17600rpm)

3. Work out if you will have sufficient "headroom". First find your theoretical "maximum motor rpm" by multiplying your motor kV by your battery voltage. (For a 910kV and 6s setup you would have 910x22.2 = 20202rpm.) Divide the speed in step 2 by this value. (17600/20202 = 87%, which means 13% headroom.) It seems that many people use 15% as a target. If you get less than 10% head room, then you might want a larger pinion, if you get more than 20% you may want a smaller pinion.

4. You then check the graph on your governor instructions to see what throttle % will give the motor rpm that you calculated in step 2. Note that the graph with the Gaui is for a 2 pole motor. If you have a 4 pole motor, then you need to double the answer from step 2. (or for a 6 or 8 pole motor you need to triple or quadruple it.) For this example, lets assume an 8 pole motor, so instead of looking up 17600rpm on the table, we need to lookup 17600 x 4 = 70400rpm. Looking at the table that comes with the Gaui ESC instructions, we find 70400rpm on the GOV HIGH setting graph, and the corresponding throttle % is about 72%.

Okay, now that is all very theoretical, and there are a few things that can go stray. Firstly, motor kV values are not exact, and can sometimes be way off. Also, the graph in the governor instructions may not be exact either, and also you get different results using different radios. Motor efficiency and head room will vary with different motors and different setups. Therefore, the above guide only gives an indication of where you should start. You will need to experiment yourself to find the ideal settings. A change of only 1% can give you a change in head speed of 100rpm, so you may want to use a tacho to test your setup.

Also, I should say that this is the first time I have used a governor. I am a very technically minded person, but nothing beats experience, and I can't claim to have a lot with governors.

Hope some of this makes some sense to somebody somewhere.

Regards,
Harrow.
Harrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Harrow,
Sorry I should of been more specific about my numbers. I knew your tables will not work with my gearing/ motor setup. The mystery for me was deciphering how the heck the Gaui Governor works etc. The owners manual/programming does not cover the governor in any detail.

Tomorrow I am going maiden the heli. I will start out with 65 on Idle 1, tach it to establish a baseline head speed and make adjustment from there. Thanks again.
vteknical is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Harrow,
Sorry I should of been more specific about my numbers. I knew your tables will not work with my gearing/ motor setup. The mystery for me was deciphering how the heck the Gaui Governor works etc. The owners manual/programming does not cover the governor in any detail.

Tomorrow I am going maiden the heli. I will start out with 65 on Idle 1, tach it to establish a baseline head speed and make adjustment from there. Thanks again.
just turn it on to high or low ( which ever you need )

and set a flat throttle curve ( what ever you think will give you the head speed you want)

there are no other settings. gov high or low and your throttle curve. that is all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in