Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Will I need a BEC with my 500 and CC ICE 75?

Just got the 3G kit for my 500. I'm using a Castle Creations ICE 75, Hitec 5245mg for cyclic and Futaba 9254 on the tail. The ICE 5 amp switching BEC has been fine so far. Will the 3G unit draw enough extra current to necessitate a separate BEC? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

well i would call castle. but if i were you i would buy the CC BEC PRO and call it a day. cost only like 40 bucks. Flybarless system dramatically improves 3D power output and efficiency, resulting in reduced fuel or electricity consumption. to be honest i never did a FBL system. if tell me how the FBL works like will you need a gyro or does the FBL system hook up to the rudder servo??
HeLiJerSey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiJerSey View Post
well i would call castle. but if i were you i would buy the CC BEC PRO and call it a day. cost only like 40 bucks. Flybarless system dramatically improves 3D power output and efficiency, resulting in reduced fuel or electricity consumption. to be honest i never did a FBL system. if tell me how the FBL works like will you need a gyro or does the FBL system hook up to the rudder servo??
The FBL system that is the subject of this thread, the Align 3G, is a 3 axis control so you don't need a gyro. The 3G controls the rudder servo.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

you should be fine. if you elimate the gyro altogether.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nope, you don't eliminate gyro altogether. You actually added a 3 axis gyro, so it works the cyclic servos even harder than before, drawing more power on top the rudder servo.

I run a Koolflight Ultimate BEC and haven't had any issues yet.
steph280 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph280 View Post

I run a Koolflight Ultimate BEC and haven't had any issues yet.
On a 500 with 3G FBL??
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

why dont you just hook up the bec and be done rather then stressin. as long as your bec can handle that current draw.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
why dont you just hook up the bec and be done rather then stressin. as long as your bec can handle that current draw.
I'd rather not add another electronic device to the mix unless it is deemed necessary. That's just one more thing that can fail or glitch up something else...

The actual extra current draw of the 3G device might be negligible. However, the servos will now be worked a little harder. I was hoping someone would have some advice based on specific experience with a 3G, Trex 500 and 75A ICE or just good electronic science....
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm thinking the same thing. I should have my 3g this weekend. Just got my Ice 75a in today. I am probably going to run an external bec, but man. Starting to cram alot of electronics into a 500.
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

i would go CC BEC PRO..hold 20 amps..more than what you need for the price.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
On a 500 with 3G FBL??
Yes, with a Kontroniks Beat 50-8-30 Optocoupler ESC.

I also run UBEC on my T-Rex 600 with Kontroniks Jazz 55-10-32.

As for ICE, I thought it has a built in switching BEC? Why would you need an external BEC?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
i would go CC BEC PRO..hold 20 amps..more than what you need for the price.
Not true on the 20A, see CC's website at 22.2V input you only get 15A max, BUT that's more than enough for a 500.

To be honest I run the same cyclic servos and ICE 75A and have never seen anything more than 3A being drawn by the servos (full size Logitech tail servo) so the ICE's builtin BEC should work perfectly. Adding another regulator just adds another failure point and weight.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am using the Mikado on a 500 with just the ICE 75. Should be fine I've been told.. and it works thats for sure. I had a 10A BEC for it.. but now sold it.

I do run, however, a 20A Pro BEC on my 550 with the ICE100... although I've been told that might have been fine without too...?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the stock Align ESC with build in BEC (5A Burst) on my SK360 FBL setup. I'm running 6V and S9257 all around without any issues for more than a year. I expect the futaba servos to draw more current as they are a bit faster than the Hitecs.

Therefore you should be fine with the ICE 75 build in BEC. At least worth a try.
harryboe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

just do a pitchpump test,i.e move the cyclic and collective as much you can when in thr hold, if you don't get brownout you'll be ok
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

brownouts are only on Spektrum receivers. Not a valid test if you run Futaba FASST.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well.. either system using the wrong BEC can have issues. Futaba is not going to fix it if the servos are pulling too much. Something will brown out!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What I read was Futaba FASST can operate down to 2.2 volts. So the most that will happen is the servo getting sluggish. The receiver does not reset (AKA brownout). But that's besides the point of this thread.

I think you will be fine with the build in BEC of ICE. Align has been testing the FBL system with their stock 60amp ESC without issues, I don't see why it would be an issue on the ICE. Just don't do it with ESC that has linear BEC's like the Phoenix series.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in