Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ok FREAKS! I need some serious help with my Flymentor!

Here is where I am at:
I have finally gotten the franken heli put together and everything is mounted where it should be functional. I removed all of the temporary velcro mounts and mounted up the gyros as a two story setup since the FM gyro is double stickied down and makes a great platform for the new KDS900 gyro as shown in the photo connected to the controller. The FM is mounted on the side and also tied in with it's controller also as in the pic. The new KDS590n digital servo is mounted backwords as it is too big to mount correctly on the carbon fibre frame even though I carved it up to allow clearance on the back side for the base of the new servo! How do I reverse program it? The new cnc head is mounted but purposely not conneected until the FM and tail gyro are correctly setup and centered. I am not mounting up the larger motor until the rest is done and flying correctly. The sonic tail is setup and centered with the new 600 tail fin to keep it up off the grass so I will not continue to stretch the drive belt when I am landing it there, along with the 500 landing gear to help stabilize and raise it up for the same reasons. The carbon fibre blades are set up correctly on both ends. The 500 carbonfibre tail boom supports are at length and centered perfectly. I am just waiting for my CF fin to finish it this friday or monday ( oops, not monday as I will be in court divorcing my ex ice queen and her boyfriend). But the complexity of the computer interface is a big frickin confusing mess to me at this time!
Since I am using the KDS900 gyro to just run the tail how do I wire it into the FM harness? how do I compensate for the servo being backwords? And since I am using the KDS900 to replace the FM gyro tail function how do I compensate for this in the FM setup for the computer while still using the stock 3d gyro that comes with it? AAAARGH! I sat up for 3 or 4 hours and all morning trying to figure out this mess and have gotten nowhere! Quite frankly I am afraid to power it all up! And since I am running 3 differant canopies where do I mount the 450 canopy pins since the canopy just doesn't pull back far enough to hit the spot on the lower guide where they are supposed to fit? And another thing! How are guys mounting up the Trex500 canopy pins when the posts take a 2mm pin instead of the needed 1.5mm pin that the body is setup for?
[/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04441.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	177732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04443.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	177733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04448.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	177734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04449.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	177735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04451.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	177736  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04436.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	177737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04419.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	177739  

Last edited by Luvmyhelis; 09-03-2010 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Here is where I am at:
I have finally gotten the franken heli put together and everything is mounted where it should be functional. I removed all of the temporary velcro mounts and mounted up the gyros as a two story setup since the FM gyro is double stickied down and makes a great platform for the new KDS900 gyro as shown in the photo connected to the controller. The FM is mounted on the side and also tied in with it's controller also as in the pic. The new KDS590n digital servo is mounted backwords as it is too big to mount correctly on the carbon fibre frame even though I carved it up to allow clearance on the back side for the base of the new servo! How do I reverse program it? The new cnc head is mounted but purposely not conneected until the FM and tail gyro are correctly setup and centered. I am not mounting up the larger motor until the rest is done and flying correctly. The sonic tail is setup and centered with the new 600 tail fin to keep it up off the grass so I will not continue to stretch the drive belt when I am landing it there, along with the 500 landing gear to help stabilize and raise it up for the same reasons. The carbon fibre blades are set up correctly on both ends. The 500 carbonfibre tail boom supports are at length and centered perfectly. I am just waiting for my CF fin to finish it this friday or monday ( oops, not monday as I will be in court divorcing my ex ice queen and her boyfriend). But the complexity of the computer interface is a big frickin confusing mess to me at this time!
Since I am using the KDS900 gyro to just run the tail how do I wire it into the FM harness? how do I compensate for the gyro being backwords? And since I am using the KDS900 to replace the FM gyro tail function how do I compensate for this in the FM setup for the computer while still using the stock 3d gyro that comes with it? AAAARGH! I sat up for 3 or 4 hours and all morning trying to figure out this mess and have gotten nowhere! Quite frankly I am afraid to power it all up! And since I am running 3 differant canopies where do I mount the 450 canopy pins since the canopy just doesn't pull back far enough to hit the spot on the lower guide where they are supposed to fit? And another thing! How are guys mounting up the Trex500 canopy pins when the posts take a 2mm pin instead of the needed 1.5mm pin that the body is setup for?
[/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640][/IMG640]
You wire the servo and gyro directly into your receiver, as you would if FM were not there and leave the grey and green FM wires disconnected. Fm will then play no part in controlling the tail. The normal way to reverve a gyro is via the reverse switch on the top and you reverse the stick direction in your transmitter but I guess in your case it will be done with the gyro programmer. Either way it has no connection with FM. Hope this helps.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
You wire the servo and gyro directly into your receiver, as you would if FM were not there and leave the grey and green FM wires disconnected. Fm will then play no part in controlling the tail. The normal way to reverve a gyro is via the reverse switch on the top and you reverse the stick direction in your transmitter but I guess in your case it will be done with the gyro programmer. Either way it has no connection with FM. Hope this helps.
Ok, there is no reverse switch on this gyro but if I can reverse it in the TX this I can do. And I also place the red gyro gain lead into the gear slot, correct?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, there is no reverse switch on this gyro but if I can reverse it in the TX this I can do. What about the servo travel then?
Again servo travel is controlled via a pot on a gyro but in your case I quess its done with the programmer. I dont think you will be able to reverse the gyro with your TX.
I'm sorry I cant help more, I know nothing about that gyro but I see it has a programmer and so it will setting up useing it. Ivor
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Again servo travel is controlled via a pot on a gyro but in your case I quess its done with the programmer. I dont think you will be able to reverse the gyro with your TX.
I'm sorry I cant help more, I know nothing about that gyro but I see it has a programmer and so it will setting up useing it. Ivor
Thanks Ivor! this started me in the right direction. Now another one. Why do they only print the instructions for the field controller in stinking Chinese? Are there any leads to upload this in american so I can decipher this?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

the field programmer is very simple it is very intuative to use it just navigate to what you need to change hit ok then use the arrows to change it and hit ok again and it is saved to the heli
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
#iamundeservedlyblessedandiknowit
TeeJayShelton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just tried to download a manuel without success. Your are dealing with 2 seperate things and one has nothing to do with the other. Hope you have some paracetamol handy lol. Ivor
Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Google flymentor ppc manual and you will get an English version. Ivor
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Ivor! I am also wiring in the ICE50 and setting its parameters also when I get the Flymentor to fire up. I have just completed the wiring of the components. When I tie in the ICE I just plugged it into the throttle position in the reciever and I think it supplies the power this way to the receiver and then to the FM. The FM is linked to the reciever with these wires, Yello solo, orange solo ( looks more like a tan wire ), and the black/red (looks like orange)/white. and that is it. And the new gyro is plugged into the rudder connector in the receiver. The FM has the three servos that control the head plugged into the face,although I dont see anything deliniating the direction of the plugins, and there is no mistaking the other 2 as they are fitted into the side.
I have programmed the gyro and it is perfect. I set the travel at 60% and it is running at 1520. the flymentor download hit a brick wall just like last time so I am trying to figure out how to set this up using the field controller. The instructions for this came on a disc in of coarse...."Chinese" so this is where I am stuck. this is the second time I have tried the download and had it fail. Even after loading extra supportive software. So I have sent them an Email asking for some help on 2 fronts. I will keep you all apprised on the progress! I also went through the setup list posted here but obviously couldn't get very far. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Luvmyhelis; 09-04-2010 at 01:47 AM..
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks again Ivor! last night I tried this and ended back up on the manufacterers site and tried again to no avail and just bagged it! Too many pain meds and too much going on for my little blonde brain. Today I logged on to an american site and got the download in american so I am off and running! My tail gyro is up and running and I have motor control through my Ice50 esc. The green light is on on the fly mentor but I have as of yet to get any servo movement on my 3 HS65mg head servos. I have gone through the DX6i to the best of my ability and set the required info into place although I came back last night and changed it all to see if it made any differance. I set the swash back to 3 at 120. Still not any movement. So I now know that it is in the FM unit itself and I need to program it correctly. Thank you again for your so very much needed help!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayShelton View Post
the field programmer is very simple it is very intuative to use it just navigate to what you need to change hit ok then use the arrows to change it and hit ok again and it is saved to the heli
Thanks Teejay! My background is in mechanical and electrical engineering. I can fabricate and build about anything. But when it comes to programming or understanding the programming aspects my mind goes blank.
I kid you not! What is obvious and easy for you does not seem to work for me. Since my intuitor switch is seemingly turned off. LOL. The way my mind works I need to mentally see the problem in 3d and understand what I am looking at from every physical angle. When programming, I need a format to "see" everything so that I have a base foundation to stand on while mentally viewing the problem. Without this, since I am newer at this R.C. world than you, and am still learning at a rapid pace, and on some serious pain meds, it is a little foggy. So what is easy for you is quite difficult for me to navigate through succsessfully. I can build a computer and design digital equipment and it is easy for me. And I can tell you how the parts are talking to each other. But when it comes to programming the innate functions, I have always had other people do this for me since most of my friends are brilliant and many are professors in the computor field. I get to hang around them and pretend I am smart.
Now that I think about it I guess that I have just been mentally lazy. So sad. lol
Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just punched into google Flymentor ppc manual and top of the list is an Adobe file from xmseller. I dont know how to sent this to you but perhaps someone else can.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just punched into google Flymentor ppc manual and top of the list is an Adobe file from xmseller. I dont know how to sent this to you but perhaps someone else can.
I just looked at it and it is very basic. I don't know if that is done purposely. There are supposed to b 4 pages of info and on this it is page one all 4 times. It tells me how to change all the functions but not what the functions should be as a basic setup other than the already programmed factory settings. I am suspicious of factory settings on all of the KDS stuff as there seem to b too many variations in peoples experiences so far. And now my gyro and tail servo will not engage, so I am right in the middle of trying to reprogram my ice50 setup to check voltage outputs to the receiver and gyro. it worked last night when I unplugged it all and now today nothing.
Once again "Thank you". I don't think you may realize how much your help means to me. I understand the time element it takes to do this. And I am in your debt.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just looked at it and it is very basic. I don't know if that is done purposely. There are supposed to b 4 pages of info and on this it is page one all 4 times. It tells me how to change all the functions but not what the functions should be as a basic setup other than the already programmed factory settings. I am suspicious of factory settings on all of the KDS stuff as there seem to b too many variations in peoples experiences so far. And now my gyro and tail servo will not engage, so I am right in the middle of trying to reprogram my ice50 setup to check voltage outputs to the receiver and gyro. it worked last night when I unplugged it all and now today nothing.
Once again "Thank you". I don't think you may realize how much your help means to me. I understand the time element it takes to do this. And I am in your debt.
No it does not explain. But servo reverse reverses the servos, stick reverse reverses the sticks. neutral set the servo centre point, travel sets the servo travel and so on.
Most of the settings are not changed, the ones that are change are changed to suit the heli.
Your first job is to get FM wired correctly and to initialize, flashing green led. You dont need the progammer for that. Your TX and reciever must be powered up.
When you have got this far let us know and we will help with the next stage.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Luvmyhelis, try this link for the manual for the KDS Flymentor. It is 23 pages long and is in PDF format (456KB).

I hope this helps some.

http://www.kdsmodel.com/script/News/...r%20Manual.pdf

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No it does not explain. But servo reverse reverses the servos, stick reverse reverses the sticks. neutral set the servo centre point, travel sets the servo travel and so on.
Most of the settings are not changed, the ones that are change are changed to suit the heli.
Your first job is to get FM wired correctly and to initialize, flashing green led. You dont need the progammer for that. Your TX and reciever must be powered up.
When you have got this far let us know and we will help with the next stage.
Ok bro, this is where I am at. I have set the ICE50 to run everything at 5v to be safe and set the motor in a very soft mode, actually too soft, so I reset it a little more aggressively. Now it works. I have had a green light the whole time. It flashes at a high rate and it is too fast to count the flashes, although it holds green steadily when moved side to side or front back. I then reset the tail gyro and put its values at 1520ma instead of 760 as it would not respond at this level when the heli was moved side to side. Then I went through all of the basic setup features in the FM control box and set them at least where this might be functional. Keep in mind I am and idiot here as far as the terminology it is asking for. Nothing. So I reset all of the internals for the DX6i and I think I found some fubars there. Still nothing, no movement of the 3 sevos when I move either stick. So I looked at it and realized that there was no instruction whatsoever of the direction of how the 3 servo leads are plugged into the FM module and reversed one of them. I actually wondered about this 4 weeks ago when mounting it up. When I plugged it in YESSSS! I got an instant response out of the aileron. So I then reversed all 3 of them and have control now.

So where do I go from here to get a steady green?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Luvmyhelis, try this link for the manual for the KDS Flymentor. It is 23 pages long and is in PDF format (456KB).

I hope this helps some.

http://www.kdsmodel.com/script/News/...r%20Manual.pdf
Thank you, thank you, thank you,
Brian this one works and I just downloaded it!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you,
Brian this one works and I just downloaded it!
You are very welcome.

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming you have set your TX to 1 servo (mixing off) and you have set aileron, pitch and elevator to 100% travel and 0 subtrim and trim.
Your first job is to set the servo directions ( forget the sticks ) set the servo reverses with the controler so that when looking at the heli from the rear and you tip the heli left the left hand servo moves up and the right hand servo moves down. So the swash tips in the opposite direction.
Now tip the heli forward and the 2 servos should move up, set the rear servo so that it moves down. So if you have it correct whatever way you tip the heli the swash will tip in the oposite way to correct.
Now check your sticks and any sticks that are wrong reverse useing stick reverse.
Quote:
Ok bro, this is where I am at. I have set the ICE50 to run everything at 5v to be safe and set the motor in a very soft mode, actually too soft, so I reset it a little more aggressively. Now it works. I have had a green light the whole time. It flashes at a high rate and it is too fast to count the flashes, although it holds green steadily when moved side to side or front back. I then reset the tail gyro and put its values at 1520ma instead of 760 as it would not respond at this level when the heli was moved side to side. Then I went through all of the basic setup features in the FM control box and set them at least where this might be functional. Keep in mind I am and idiot here as far as the terminology it is asking for. Nothing. So I reset all of the internals for the DX6i and I think I found some fubars there. Still nothing, no movement of the 3 sevos when I move either stick. So I looked at it and realized that there was no instruction whatsoever of the direction of how the 3 servo leads are plugged into the FM module and reversed one of them. I actually wondered about this 4 weeks ago when mounting it up. When I plugged it in YESSSS! I got an instant response out of the aileron. So I then reversed all 3 of them and have control now.

So where do I go from here to get a steady green?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Assuming you have set your TX to 1 servo (mixing off) and you have set aileron, pitch and elevator to 100% travel and 0 subtrim and trim.
Your first job is to set the servo directions ( forget the sticks ) set the servo reverses with the controler so that when looking at the heli from the rear and you tip the heli left the left hand servo moves up and the right hand servo moves down. So the swash tips in the opposite direction.
Now tip the heli forward and the 2 servos should move up, set the rear servo so that it moves down. So if you have it correct whatever way you tip the heli the swash will tip in the oposite way to correct.
Now check your sticks and any sticks that are wrong reverse useing stick reverse.
Alright, this means it is time to create some servo links and put my rotating head assembly back in. Thanks Ivor!
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in