Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Went to planes and didnt even last a day

I went back to planes after a crash with my heli had me making multiple trips to the LHS, It was fun for a few hours but after that ive done everything I could possibly think of doing with it. I plan on selling it and putting it twords more heli items.
Helis rule!

Heres a video from yesterday.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Damn what was that plane zooming around in the frist 2 minutes of the vid. That thing is SCREAMING!!!!

Reminds me of this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhsaXBUVZ0[/ame]
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

planes are nice for relaxing flights and calming the nerves a little. you should keep it.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcincy View Post
planes are nice for relaxing flights and calming the nerves a little. you should keep it.
I want to buy some new stuff for my heli. Planes are really boring to me :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink 182 View Post
I want to buy some new stuff for my heli. Planes are really boring to me :-)
+1! I couldn't even make it through the whole video.
Richard F. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard F. View Post
+1! I couldn't even make it through the whole video.
Ha thats awesome :-)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like to fly planes if i have been drinking to much, cheap to crash foam. But i agree planes get to a stage where you need to spend a lot of time and effort in to precisely controlling every move which can get a bit tedious and boring due to the small amount of things a plane can do. A heli is almost unlimited to what it can do and because of this to learn it all and get to a stage where you are just trying to fine tune it could take forever so there is always something new to learn where you get that rush and who really cares if it's not super smooth. I can see helis bringing me a lot of new challenges and enjoyment for a lot of years to come.

So unless all the helis i have are broken and i can't borrow one from a mate then the plane might get a run but until then it will just sit in the shed gathering dust. I have to give the plane credit for getting me in to the hobby to start with though, it got me excited about flying and taught basic orientation.
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Planks only give an adrenalin rush when you are doing 3D stuff low to the ground on a balsa or one that will break. The rest is boring. Helis are a non stop rush no matter what your doing really.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats partly true, i have a balsa/carbon fibre plane that i fly 3d low to the ground hovering rolling hariers and circles high alpha KE all inches from the deck that's the way i used to get a rush from it but has tapered off due to the rush of flying helis the whole time. I have to admit that i still fly my helis a little close to the ground most of the time. Why spent your time looking up if you don't have to
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

planes are boring to watch, but if you're doing unlimited IMAC and precision aerobatics

that stuff requires ALOT of focus

it's weird, heli F3C is alot more boring to watch than plane IMAC, and plane 3D is more boring to watch than heli 3D
Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

never could understand the plane hovering thing ?? put i would like to take a shot at the Multiplex FunJet thing....that looks insane
Brick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
Damn what was that plane zooming around in the frist 2 minutes of the vid.
sounded like a control line. those things are so much fun. they do circles. then they do a circle. after that they do circles and then more circles. all the while you spin around and around and around and try not to puke. its awesome!
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Planks only give an adrenalin rush when you are doing 3D stuff low to the ground on a balsa or one that will break. The rest is boring. Helis are a non stop rush no matter what your doing really.
Anyone (myself included) that has built a plane from SCRATCH (i.e. nothing but a box of sticks and some plans to build on) can tell you that even a slow circuit can be an extreme adrenalin rush when it's something you built with your own hands considering the consequences of an error ruining what can be 2 or 3 months work...

Building planes is a lost art by most people today. ARFs while great for a quick flight also took a lot away from the experience and made planes instantly boring.

As an example I spent well over 3 months building this. Only prefabbed parts are the cowl and other plastic. Otherwise 100% custom cut and hand made. Even the landing gear and wing braces were custom bent steel rods covered with balsa. I.E. lots of work. Flying this for the first time was probably one of the single highest adrenalin rushes of my life. For more than I've ever had with helis...

RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not disagree with what is being said about planks but Heli 3D club flying to me just looks like a demented bat on drugs. To me it needs more form and precision. It needs to be choreographed more. That said there must be lots of moves done with planks which need a lot of good stick skills.

I also have RC short track trucks. If you want 5 mins of fun with your mates before you get bored and want to do something else try them. For boring they beat planks hands down.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
never could understand the plane hovering thing ?? put i would like to take a shot at the Multiplex FunJet thing....that looks insane
Same here (with plane hovering). I think it's plane pilots being jealous of helicopters.

But to the topic, I am quite interested in sail planes (because of really windy weather here, when I can't fly my helis) and challenge of keeping one in the air but I don't even know where to start.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aciddrink,

I have a radian pro bnf. You might want to check it out. Cheap and easy to fly, but lots of fun.

Greg
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

each to their own I think, but I have to say I very much enjoy the precision aerobatics possible with a nice pattern type fixed wing.

I started in helis after 'planks' and im much better with a fixed wing than with a heli, but I enjoy them both.

They may be boring to look at for people watching who dont understand what you are doing, but I couldnt much care what other people thing (unless they are judges). Precision aerobatics or pattern flying is both an art and a skill. It would take people who fly helis alone a long long time to get good at it, and there is always room for improvement.

If you dont fly fixed wing to a high standard, im afraid you are unlikely to 'get it'
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the Radian but I would suggest not the Pro first off. Try a standard.

By the way I also bought a HK Kinetic. I sent it back because the elevator was twisted and the ESC was faulty. Cheap but not when you have to stand the cost of sending them back.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

get a BIG plank like a .60 size or bigger
im building/rebuild a .60 Edge 540 i got cheap putting a 1.00 Saito 4-stroke in it should haul ass
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you've never tried to hover a plane then you don't get just what it takes to hold it there and keep it still, it's definitely harder than hovering a heli, and it's funny because most enjoy helis due to the challenge in getting things down smoothly, planes are the same. I'm not disagreeing that they're more boring (though I say relaxing) but they have their place, for me it's a nice way to get in a few quick last minute flights in without fear of generating a new repair bill, it's also something to do while waiting for the gyro to acclimate or te helis to cool. As far as the rush that's just relative to what you compare it to, a real good rush involves more than just your wallet and time on the line, compare RC helis to something like base jumping or my main interest, downhill mountain biking, and suddenly they seem less "puckery". Sometimes I just enjoy putting on my own personal stress free airshow for myself, I'm a sucker for all things that fly though so it doesn't take much to keep me entertained.

+1 about the RC cars/trucks analogy, they can be fun but you can only jump and turn so much, try rock crawlers, awesome to fabricate but they peak in a very short time after assembled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in