Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fine work by Tony. Of course we were all thirsting for more.
From my experience, it appears that life snuck up and bit him on the backside.
I hope it does not leave a permanent scar.
InTheDirt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, anybody can help me to get in contact with Ub3r ?

Could really use his help right now.

Kind regards, a noob on these forums but experienced ESC smoker.

J
jmouris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Find a post by him then click on his username and PM him.

Or
https://www.helifreak.com/member.php?u=149042
Click on Contact Info, then send PM.
TBS Discovery FPV
dna001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ZTW GECKO

Since there are a lot of people using ZTW GECKO 120HV, i wonder if you can compare it with them.
avijiang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

great threat
abhayf14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Since there are a lot of people using ZTW GECKO 120HV...
I have one of those and can't make it work right!!! > I finished installing a ZTW Gecko Series 120A HV (High Voltage) Brushless ESC OPTO (No BEC) in my Whiplash Electric that I picked up in October, at the Schaumberg iHobby Show. So it was time to test it out, not to mention the weather was perfect. I’m not sure if I have it setup right or if I’m having a problem with my motor. It seems to be surging at speed…and if I do a climb out, or anything requiring reducing the collective / unloading the head speed…the RPM drops about 100-200 RPMS, I’m guessing.

Also, I cannot throttle up in normal mode. It will start the spool up process and obtain about 40% throttle, then spool down, then it will spool back up with a little more head speed, then back down.

However, if I start with throttle hold on and switch to idle 1 or 2 and release the throttle hold, it will spool up just fine. I thought there might have been a problem with the throttle calibration, so I recalibrated it a couple of times…no fix. I suppose it could be the motor timing, but I have that set to “auto” mode. The governor mode is set to mode 2. According to the instructions, this mode is for high kv motors (10p x 500kv x 44v = 220,000) . I’m using the Xera 4350 500KV 10P motor. So I’m a bit stumped!

I managed to get 3 flights on it…to also checkout the rest of the heli. Maybe the auto mode for the motor timing is constantly serching for the optimal setting...this might explain the RPMs going up and down.

What do you guys think?

The ESC is at least 8" away from the motor. I even tried Mode 1 & 2...airplane modes. It starts out great, but won't hold a constant RPM. As I get into the collective, the RPM's drop a lot. I'm thinking in order to compansate, I need to create a "V" curve for Idle 1 & 2.

Also, cool thread! learning a lot here, also filling in the gaps! LoL!

Citizen 654
rcnut is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: NEW - ESC vs ESC

I want to help out with your question, but would like to go over the documentation first. Is it available online? I'm going search and probably find it if it's there, but you may want to post a link here anyway. If it isn't online, and you have a scanner, I can give you some creds to upload it to my server for a permanent home.

For your timing though, I can tell you that my hyperion esc docs say just use auto, but "hard" setting may be required to get high pole count motors to startup and work correctly. I really dislike "auto, low, med, hard" settings, I like actual numbers; even though in the present timing isn't clear cut, a setting of 15° from one manufacturer very likely won't match up electronically with a setting of 15° from another manufacturer. The esc's we use don't utilize hall sensor feedback to determine the position of the rotor or can (a moot point considering the motors in use don't have hall sensors), so it's up to the software to determine where the rotor is and apply the timing.

Regards,

Steve

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simple...the instructions are found here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/gecko_esc_manual.pdf
I have the programming card for the ESC.

Citizen 654
rcnut is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion 130A HV Commander

Hi .. Looked at your post about ESC. Congratulations, your really know all about it. And that is why we would like u to help me!
What happened is that after a single crash and the hold on, I disassembled the heli ( Gaui X7 ) to replace parts without engine ( HKIII 4035 - 500KV ) , called ESC the RX called and all electronics work normally. Traquilizei me ! But yesterday , after finishing assembly of the heli , plugged the engine to confirm the direction of rotation before attaching the cables , and pitched esc , motor and beeped when I raised the stick to rotate the motor , ESC popped , flashed and smoked , but a smoke very little . Nothing compared to others when ESC burn .
Would u help me? What would be the faulty components? Would exchange them? I await your response and thank you in. Thank you very much.
thuliosampaio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AW: NEW - ESC vs ESC

The last posting from Tony was in November 2012. There here announced to continue testing and to upload some new vids. But nothing was coming later on.
Does somebody know what happens to Tony?
Banshee 700 LE #50 and some others ...
KU-HELI7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, Tony is still around but has been very busy with work. I caught up with him late last year (November) when he traveled down to our funfly in Melbourne.

Tony has mentioned in this thread that he is working on his own design ESC and I know the testing of that unit is still on going and I would guess it takes any free time he has.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thx Dennis! Good to here that Tony is still around and working on great stuff.
Banshee 700 LE #50 and some others ...
KU-HELI7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear he didn't have an "accident" after such a tell all thread.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re : NEW - ESC vs ESC

Good to hear he is working on his own design !!

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk
neohp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

I need help on castle quad pack install 350qx. Can't arm them.
Bduncan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: NEW - ESC vs ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduncan View Post
I need help on castle quad pack install 350qx. Can't arm them.
You'll want to start a new thread dude. This one is pretty specific and technical.

Quad forum is here https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
Castle creations forum is here https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

I did a quick search for "castle quad" and "quad pack" but didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed before.

I see you're pretty new to Heli freak, so just some advice. I listed both forums above because

a) you have a quad and the the quad forum will probably help you out with any issues related to a quad, but for just shooting the Heli breeze you'll probably find the general Heli talk in the main forum area will get you the most response to a general topic, but it's not really for specific questions unless there is no other forum that your question/topic would fall into. Just take a browse and check out what threads tend to go there.

B) you're looking for help on a specific brand and model, hence the CC forum link.

Now DON'T go posting the same question in all three forums. That's called cross posting and is frowned upon, if a mod (anyone with "HF Support" listed in their profile, most likely TowPilot, as he seems to have a sixth sense for cross posting ), sees that you have posted the same thing in multiple areas your threads will get merged into one in the forum that's fits them the best and you'll get a PM telling you no cross posting our please don't cross post. If you keep doing it, the PM's well get less friendly and you'll end up with a log showing dates and times of your posts. This also happens if you get antsy and cross post after a day because your original hasn't hasn't received responses, and you try to explain this in a reply to the PM. TowPilot will catch ya! LOL. (No hard feelings to ya TowPilot! I was a multiple offender and you got me in line)

Not trying to police you or scare you, just giving you a heads up. You're not going to get in trouble for reposting your castle quad issue, but after you post it in the correct forum you might want to edit your post here with a direct link to your new post.

Just add "sorry, wrong place to post this question." And include the link to your other post. A lot of people are subscribed to this thread, and if any have useful info they'll use the link to your post in the proper section to give you that info. I don't have any experience with CC stuff so I can't help you troubleshoot, hence this is just a post giving you the general "rules" regarding where to post stuff. There is nothing wrong with adding a post to an already established thread that deals with your problem, but if the thread hasn't seen any action for months then you're better off just creating a new thread.

You'll likely have your post here merged with your new post at some point.

Mods: don't need to tell you this, but do what you will with this post. Just please let me know where it goes so I can edit it out. Thanks, Steve.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
why low inductance motors, eg double-Wye (YY) connected, are key for high power applications.
Could you please go into detail about this aspect? I searched the thread and found nothing.
MikelG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice tear down!
gatts011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice teardown!
gatts011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm trying to sort out the relation to throttle and amps discussed here.

Say an E-bike has full throttle of 1000 watts from 50 volts and 20 amps on a flat road. Then it gets to a slope that is 25%(22.5 degrees). At full throttle, this would cause four times the amp draw to get 4000 watts but what if you had to limit this to 1000 watts so you set the throttle to 25% to get 12.5 volts and 80 amps... does that mean the actual amp draw is four times higher, making 80 amps draw 320 amps on 25% throttle when you only wanted 1000 watts?
3786 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in