Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the c05m upgrade worth it?

I am really looking at a good pnp solution. I like the fact that the cm05 pnp solution can use the stock tail and Hyperion 250s.

I am reading and seeing in videos that the power upgrade is not substantial. It does seem a bit better with the added benefit of the tail holding better though.

I would like to hear some opinions on this upgrade, as well as if once upgraded, will the heli still be virtually "indestructable" as it currently is.

Also how are flight times with the Hyperion 250s?

I have both the V1 and V2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Absolutely worth it! The extra power is great, tail holds better and it still crashes just as good. However, since I converted mine, I have crashed exponentially less often. No more bogging or tail blow-outs!

I am getting around 3 minutes with Hyperion and Spyder 250s.
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeflyer2 View Post
Absolutely worth it! The extra power is great, tail holds better and it still crashes just as good. However, since I converted mine, I have crashed exponentially less often. No more bogging or tail blow-outs!

I am getting around 3 minutes with Hyperion and Spyder 250s.
Sounds good. Is that 3 minutes 3D?

How much percentage battery use?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suggest you to get the hp05 with the new hp03t tail, sooner or later you're going to want more power. I use turnigy 300 mah and i get 3 mins flight time
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is that a pnp solution? I don't want to go too upgrade crazy either that requires soldering. I am not confident enough to solder on the small PCBs.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Is that a pnp solution? I don't want to go too upgrade crazy either that requires soldering. I am not confident enough to solder on the small PCBs.
The hp05s can be pnp when paired with an Oversky 10a pnp esc, but the hp03t is most definitely not pnp. But you can use a 120sr tail motor instead, and it is pnp.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
The hp05s can be pnp when paired with an Oversky 10a pnp esc, but the hp03t is most definitely not pnp. But you can use a 120sr tail motor instead, and it is pnp.
How is crash damage compared to stock?

Also what batteries would be required?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just crashed it real hard against a tree, I picked it up, plugged the tail back in, pushed the main gear back up and I was flying again. You can use the turnigy nano-tech 300 mah batteries, but I suggest the hyperion 550, you can get these from WOWhobbies for 7$
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sounds good. Is that 3 minutes 3D?

How much percentage battery use?
Yes, that's 3D. Cells are usually around 3.85V after a flight and I put back around 50% capacity. Power starts to fade when I push them farther than that.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeke View Post
I just crashed it real hard against a tree, I picked it up, plugged the tail back in, pushed the main gear back up and I was flying again. You can use the turnigy nano-tech 300 mah batteries, but I suggest the hyperion 550, you can get these from WOWhobbies for 7$
What other upgrades did you need in terms of frame, shaft, blade grips swash etc...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeke View Post
sooner or later you're going to want more power.
Some people are perfectly content with a moderately-powered, mostly stock machine that's light weight and still crashes well.

When I want more power I pull out my 12S E6.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeflyer2 View Post
Some people are perfectly content with a moderately-powered, mostly stock machine that's light weight and still crashes well.

When I want more power I pull out my 12S E6.
Yeah, I like the fact that the upgrade seems simple, and is mostly stock, and that I can use the Hyperion 250s including those I have JUST ordered a few days ago.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love my C05m bird. I have both a HP05+SR120 tail MCPx and a C05m one, both using the XP-7a, not flashed. I'll be building a flashed bird soon tho =D

The C05 I can try out tricks and fly in slightly tighter spaces, and WHEN I crash it's at most something minor that breaks or links get lost. Very crashable like the stock MCPx. Didn't need any special "supporting mods" like upgraded tails, tho I did extend mine and use the V3 or KBDD tail blades. Really the simplest upgrade that makes the MCPx fly like it was intended to.

Whenever I fly the HP05, I give myself more altitude and make sure I fly over something soft, becuase if it crashes it's usuallly catastrophic, i.e. broken boom, snapped tail wires, shattered blades (KBDD or stock), broken grips/bent feathering shafts you name it. It's a hellavalot of fun and with the 120SR tail I think it's even more locked in than my C05 bird, but the headspeed is scary and it's a little too much power for an "experienced beginner" like me to be completely comfortable with. I LOVE to fly it, but I have to be much more careful with it than my C05.
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What other upgrades did you need in terms of frame, shaft, blade grips swash etc...
Only non-stock part I have on mine is an MH solid CF main shaft, which, IMO, is a must-have even for a stock bird.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naito View Post
Love my C05m bird. I have both a HP05+SR120 tail MCPx and a C05m one, both using the XP-7a, not flashed. I'll be building a flashed bird soon tho =D

The C05 I can try out tricks and fly in slightly tighter spaces, and WHEN I crash it's at most something minor that breaks or links get lost. Very crashable like the stock MCPx. Didn't need any special "supporting mods" like upgraded tails, tho I did extend mine and use the V3 or KBDD tail blades. Really the simplest upgrade that makes the MCPx fly like it was intended to.

Whenever I fly the HP05, I give myself more altitude and make sure I fly over something soft, becuase if it crashes it's usuallly catastrophic, i.e. broken boom, snapped tail wires, shattered blades (KBDD or stock), broken grips/bent feathering shafts you name it. It's a hellavalot of fun and with the 120SR tail I think it's even more locked in than my C05 bird, but the headspeed is scary and it's a little too much power for an "experienced beginner" like me to be completely comfortable with. I LOVE to fly it, but I have to be much more careful with it than my C05.
Spot on. I have very similar birds. I find myself flying my M5 bird more that the HP05 bird. That's because the M5 takes crashing better. I don't usually have major crashes with the HP05, but little crashes can take the bird out. With the HP05 headspeed, slight vibes can make the bird have gyro issues.

Like what was said before, you can govern the HP05, but it's hardly pnp.

I like'em both though. The power of the HP05 is fun, but the crash worthiness of the M5 is great also. I wanted a stock bird to go with my HP05. But I was sick of replacing stock motors. The M5 is like a slightly better stock bird.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I think I will go ahead with the M5, I like the crash survivability aspect, that it is closer to stock, and pnp.

Thanks all for the prompt replies.
grovey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is worth it for sure. I just did this upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Makes it much more enjoyable to fly. I am actually getting 5 minutes of mild 3D with the Hyperion 250s - LVC never kicks in. I got everything from Astroid Designs - under $70 shipped for motor, 10A OverSky PNG ESC/converter, 8 tooth pinion, and frame brace. The M5 motor might be easier to install just because you don't have to cut as much of the frame and then shouldn't need the brace. I'm using a 7mm tail motor and it holds pretty good.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, I think I will go ahead with the M5, I like the crash survivability aspect, that it is closer to stock, and pnp.

Thanks all for the prompt replies.
I have an M5 with an Oversky 10A PNP. It is all stock except for an extended boom. It weighs 44 grams with a Hyperion 250 pack. I can do back flips for 3min 40 seconds and the pack will be at 20%. I like the way it flys and the tail is way better than before. Next I am going to solder in a flashed XP3A with extra fets to save weight over the PNP setup.
Hydros27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just did the same CO5M, Oversky 10A, 8T pinion, Hyp 250mah setup and got it all from Astroid Designs. Works perfect for me, very happy.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies.

Which MH shaft is recommended? The hollow aluminum, titanium shaft, or solid CF shaft?

The CF is not that easy to find in stock.
grovey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in