Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How well does it auto?

Does the Trex500 auto a little better than the trex450 or more like a trex600? Anybody do any good inverted autos yet? or does this thing not have the energy to do it?
Hulley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

It does auto better than a 450 but not near the float time of a 600... It is pretty much inbetween.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Damn, thats one thing I miss about my 50s, they auto'd great! My trex450 doesnt auto very well.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Last time I did an auto was at least 1 year ago and it was on a Vibe 90 and I had done an auto once before that on a Raptor 30. I did an auto for the first time with my 500 the other day and it was somewhat of a success. I was going to ditch the attempt and do another approach but even though I had soft start disabled, the heli did not start back up so I had to do it I cracked a skid because I had actually gotten back into collective partially anticipating the motor restart, which never happened, so I touched hard enough to crack a skid but no other damage.

Knowing I had to commit I actually did 3 more autos with the one broken skid before calling it a day. You have plenty of float time there provided you perform the auto correctly. I tested mine first by hitting TH from a 6' high hover and setting it down just to get an idea of how fast the HS dropped. I was able to actually stop it, climbback just a bit and then set down.

I did land hard yesterday on another auto but again I got lucky with just the cracked skid

A little late to make a long story short but I will anyway.... If you can auto the 450 or a 30 size nitro I think you will be able to nail a 500 auto.
Socal500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you can hit TH at 6' and it not drop like a stone, that is what I want to hear! My 450 drops like a rock! Of course I'm only using woodies at the moment but I wouldnt think that the carbons would make that huge of a difference! I know the carbons will be an improvement and I'll find out on sunday!
Thanks Socal500!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well now it depends on your HS at 6' Im running 12T on 6S so I think Im hitting maybe 2200-2300 tops so I can only give my results from that HS. Obviously with higher HS it will be even better. Just dont go alot of negative and slam it. I let it fall then slowed it down at about 2 feet then set it on down.

Start at 3 feet and work up. I think once you try it at 5-6' you will see its time to just do an auto.
Socal500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it autos great. It doesn't drop anywhere near as fast as a 450, no real stress at all in the auto with it. I'd say it's closer to the 600 than a 450, if you can auto a 50 sized without difficulty, you'r enot going to have any real problem with the 500.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, do I need to fab up a non-driven tail gear and see if it gets better?
Magic Man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you need to fab up a special non driven tail to auto a 500, then you suck at autos and need to practice more, the problem is not in the heli. It's not like a 450 where you have to be good at autos to do it, you could very easily learn how to auto a heli on the 500, and do your first ones on it. It's an easy heli to auto.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah, I may suck at autos, but non driven tails auto better the driven tails...thats a fact!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sure, just think how long my 90 would hang if I took out the driven tail! Come on man, go out and practice, it's easier to auto with a driven tail, and gives you more options while doing so. I'd bet if you went out and practiced for a few tanks doing nothing but autos, you'd get them nailed.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'd like to auto my 500 but my first attempt on my mini-titan didn't go so well the other day. re-watched finless' auto vid and realized a lil bit of forward airspeed is key. hitting the throttle hold switch from a 40 foot hover made that thing drop like a rock! lesson learned and a new pair of align woodies. i'll try again someday. i'll stick to perfecting my loops for now.
chuckk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well you all know I can auto pretty good. If I can auto a 450 well then yes the 500 is a piece of cake. BUT if your only so so with a 50 sized heli on auto's your gonna crash or bounce hard the 500. It is closer to the 600 but float time is still not that great. If you watch my flight vids of the 500 I auto it ever flight at the end. Watch the float time! It's minimal in my opinion. Certainly much easier than a 450 though.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A couple of years ago I was flying 50s and could auto those with no problem. In fact I ended every flight with a nice auto. I'm just now getting back into things with a 450se v2 and one thing I miss is the auto capability of the bigger helis. I'm lookin to get another heli soon and want one that autos well. Looks like I may have to go with a 600n or a Logo.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

They auto like a heavy thirty. The guys who've been around long enough will know what I mean.
Ever auto a Concept 30!! Or an X-Cell 30 or even an Ergo 30?

Yeah it can definitely be done, but there won't be much if any hangtime at the end. Be ready on the first one and you'll be fine if you're a good auto-er like Bob said.

Ron
rond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurylokhos View Post
Sure, just think how long my 90 would hang if I took out the driven tail! Come on man, go out and practice, it's easier to auto with a driven tail, and gives you more options while doing so. I'd bet if you went out and practiced for a few tanks doing nothing but autos, you'd get them nailed.
Yes, this is how I was able to figure out how to auto a 450. I practiced with a non driven tail, and then was able to auto with the driven tail. If you cover the tail fin so it will weather vane, properly setup your auto's it is easier to auto with a non driven tail, No big secret here, less drag = higher head speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in