Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Wire size

What wire size is correct for the 12 s setup? Batteries have 12 ga but cc 120 has 10 gauge. What is correct for extentions and whatnot? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would always use what is on the ESC.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

10ga is "proper."

However, in a pinch I made my series jumper out of 12 thinking I would go back and fix it when I had more 10 in stock and the 12ga series jumper works just fine, no heat in the wires after a hard flight, and makes it easier than the 10ga one I made.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
10ga is "proper."

However, in a pinch I made my series jumper out of 12 thinking I would go back and fix it when I had more 10 in stock and the 12ga series jumper works just fine, no heat in the wires after a hard flight, and makes it easier than the 10ga one I made.
The 12 AWG silicon insulated wires of my iCharger 3010B get warm when I charge using 12V @ an input current of 35-40A, and very warm @ 47A. Of course, this is a long wire run of about 6 feet counting both leads.

A short 12 AWG should do fine but I'll use 10AWG if possible.

David
davehour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the batts have 12 ga, you don't really gain much from making the series adapter out of 10ga. Like the earlier post, I have made all my adapters using 12 ga, and they do not come down even warm.

FWIW, my Powerlab 8 uses 12ga (about 2 feet long) and running it on a charge with six 6s 5000mah packs @ 8a gets the wire pretty warm. The wire on my heli is cold (relatively speaking) after a flight. This is a Goblin with the 4525 LE motor and 5000mah packs.

10ga is sooo much more tedious to try to solder, and IMHO, a bad solder joint is worse than the difference in wire size.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Probably get a lot of different opinions about what size of wire to use. But... Length and size comes to play.. Your CC 120 has 6 awg and not 10 btw. You can send a more amps down a smaller and shorter wire than if it was longer. A length of wire has resistance and going bigger will reduce its resistance and ripple. Go at least 10 gauge... 12 might work but 10 will be better.
Anthony440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to the CC Web site, teh ICE2 HV120 has 8ga wire for the battery and 10ga for the motor.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x-ice2-hv.html

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ce2_HV_120.pdf
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oops, sorry bout that
Anthony440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wire quality makes a hell of a difference also. I was talking with an electric car cengineer from Nissan the other day and he was telling me how much difference this made and how the wire quality was so important in electric cars like the Nissan Leaf (or the Renault ZOE). They actually set up a series of tests and quality checks to measure and validate the wire quality from their suppliers.
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in