Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Ooops..... sorry link fixed!
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!
lextek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, will you be doing Fireup's static fix on this one?
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice vids Bob!
One little advice: itīs better to finally fit the (lower)servoframe to the mainframe with the main shaft inserted into the 3 bearings. Otherwise there can be a misalignment of the mainshaft and its running too stiff.
trailblazer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair View Post
Bob, will you be doing Fireup's static fix on this one?
I don't even think static is an issue if you use the new pinions. The newest pinions are conductive and as you know their is only 1 continuous belt in the gear train. In my opinion any static charge would be stripped by the motor/motor mount. I did NO static mods to my airframe (one of the newest protos kits) and never had a static problem.

The original pinions had an anodized coating and were not conductive.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
I don't even think static is an issue if you use the new pinions. The newest pinions are conductive and as you know their is only 1 continuous belt in the gear train. In my opinion any static charge would be stripped by the motor/motor mount. I did NO static mods to my airframe (one of the newest protos kits) and never had a static problem.

The original pinions had an anodized coating and were not conductive.
Cool! Hadn't heard about the new pinions. I'll check that off the list.
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

An essential build point if your using JR servos (or any other servos that don't fit neatly into the plastic mounting plates) is to build the servo frames and main frames with the main shaft in all 3 bearings. Make sure it spins freely with the servos and frames tight in the frame.

I found the best way to do this is to mount the servos loosely in the servo frames (at the top AND bottom of the mounts). Begin to bolt the main frames together and follow the video at this point. Bolt the TOP servo frames to both sides of the main frame but leave the 6 BOTTOM servo frame bolts loose! Assemble the rest of the frame. Make sure you main shaft is spinning freely and tighten the servos into the top servo frames first. Then push the servo frame against the servos to square everything up and tighten the servo frames to the main frame. Finally tighten the bottom servo mounts in place. Check your main shaft again just to be sure!

I used some carbon fiber servo plates from custom heli works instead of messing with cutting the plastic ones included in the kit.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
An essential build point if your using JR servos (or any other servos that don't fit neatly into the plastic mounting plates) is to build the servo frames and main frames with the main shaft in all 3 bearings. Make sure it spins freely with the servos and frames tight in the frame.

I found the best way to do this is to mount the servos loosely in the servo frames (at the top AND bottom of the mounts). Begin to bolt the main frames together and follow the video at this point. Bolt the TOP servo frames to both sides of the main frame but leave the 6 BOTTOM servo frame bolts loose! Assemble the rest of the frame. Make sure you main shaft is spinning freely and tighten the servos into the top servo frames first. Then push the servo frame against the servos to square everything up and tighten the servo frames to the main frame. Finally tighten the bottom servo mounts in place. Check your main shaft again just to be sure!

I used some carbon fiber servo plates from custom heli works instead of messing with cutting the plastic ones included in the kit.
I had the excact same experience, and fixed it the same way.

Rune
Roadrune is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is indeed a good method, i also tighten the frames with the shaft in.
Regarding static, to be sure with Spektrum satellite Rx'es..
I mount it on the lower back of the frame, not on the side of the boomblock, which seems a nice place at first.
There is plenty of room, and the cables can be nicely run inside the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5119.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	70862  
Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was getting ready to shoot the next segment which is installing the main shaft and noticed it was tight. I realized right then what the adjustment was. I will be covering that in the next video and yes it means loosing up the screws for the servo/main bearing blocks.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless,
I have to say, I am so glad you have decided to make this video. I will rely on this and the manual to build my new protos up. I have not cracked the box yet and its been sitting for about 2 weeks now. Seems my timing is pretty good.

I am sure I am not along in wishing you many thanks for the time and effort you put into doing all your build vodeos. You are making a big contribution to the hobby by taking your time and doing these builds and as I am sure you have heard before, it bears repeating. Thank you Thank you Thank you!
simmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer View Post
Finless,
I have to say, I am so glad you have decided to make this video. I will rely on this and the manual to build my new protos up. I have not cracked the box yet and its been sitting for about 2 weeks now. Seems my timing is pretty good.

I am sure I am not along in wishing you many thanks for the time and effort you put into doing all your build vodeos. You are making a big contribution to the hobby by taking your time and doing these builds and as I am sure you have heard before, it bears repeating. Thank you Thank you Thank you!
X 1000 im building right along also
ICHItheKILLER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thanks guys.....

Talk about pressure! I hope you guys build slowly as this will take 1-2 weeks to finish schedule permitting!

Bob
Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

I dont mind as long as you get it done by Christmas.... I dont get to open my box until the big day! My wifes had it and put it away.

I am a bit worried about this ESD, or brownout issue. Are you going to add in any mods to help alleviate these issues? Anyone know if the chinese weights are available for the protos?

Thanks for doing the build, I'm building mine along to the vids im saving as you do them. Im in the UK, was wondering if your JR X9303, transmitter is the same as the 9X2, that will help set mine up too!
xiionn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiionn View Post
Thanks for doing the build, I'm building mine along to the vids im saving as you do them. Im in the UK, was wondering if your JR X9303, transmitter is the same as the 9X2, that will help set mine up too!
yes they are the same......yours is just the European version.
mapleleafs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Anyone know if the chinese weights are available for the protos?
I donīt think that chinese weights are needed for the protos, because the lightweight tailbladeholder donīt produce that much countermomentum. I donīt have any problems with the not-that-strong-S9257 on the tail so far.
trailblazer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am a bit worried about this ESD, or brownout issue. Are you going to add in any mods to help alleviate these issues? Anyone know if the chinese weights are available for the protos?
See my post on the issue earlier in this thread. I don't believe any static mods are necessary with the new pinions.

The tail grips have integrated chinese weights built in.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes tail balde holders have the weights this is a feature

"The tail grips with integrated Chinese weights so even with a mini size tail servo can have the same performance as a full size tail servo "
"
simmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
That is indeed a good method, i also tighten the frames with the shaft in.
Regarding static, to be sure with Spektrum satellite Rx'es..
I mount it on the lower back of the frame, not on the side of the boomblock, which seems a nice place at first.
There is plenty of room, and the cables can be nicely run inside the frame.
I have done this and have also made a small notch (rectagular hole) in the middle of the frames just above where you have mounted the remote rx. I then put the gyro under the tail boom so all of the wires can be feed directly through it, rather than around the side of the frame.

I will be maidening my Protos this week and with the new silver pinion and remote rx mounted down low I am not going to do the other static mods with wires.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am going to build it completely stock first and see if I have a static problem or not. Same for any tail weight mods, etc....

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in