Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Calling all 6hv & 7hv owners

If you had to choose between the 2 which would you choose ?
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heathy,

The 7HV. I love my 6HV, but the 7 flies even better.

They will have to pry both (and my Atom) from my "cold dead hands" as I have no intention of turning loose of any of these machines, ever!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you Richard Your opinion is the 1 i was waiting for.

Now my mind is made up. Sell the 6hv, sell the MT, sell the old gaui 200 sell the mcpx and some other walkera crap.

Now i will have a much more manageable fleet.

Cheers...

Now my next thoughts are.....

Motor, is the "El Brute" out yet??
Blades, are the compass ones out yet??
Esc, Hobbywing hv120 any pobs?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I'd let the 7HV go first. Sorry to say that, but there are a few killer 700's from which to choose. Not better than the 7HV, but contenders. I don't think the 6HV has anything comparible with which to compete. As Ah Clem said, both fly great. But everything for a 700 costs more. Bigger everything, more expensive everything. I think perhaps the main reason the 6HV is my vote is that I favor the crazy lift to weight ratio. Ultimately, for me, it's fun value per dollar. My 7HV project was $3,000 to date, and I don't have the fancy servos in it. About $1,000 less into the 6HV and I've had to do nearly zero with it since maiden. I don't have plans to sell anything!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

I have been looking at the TT e720 , goblin, gaui x7, with the later 2 not available till next year.
Also, they are all priced @ $1000 or higher for the kits. Compass make great helis for the money

I do love my 6hv, it continues to amaze me every time i fly it, well at least now after my few months earlier this year spent smashing it to bits

I have noticed something about the 7hv i like over the 6, and thats the way the rotors are lower to the heli than the 6.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 6hv and a Atom 500. I don't own a 7hv, but if i had one, i would toss the 7hv just because its a bit more $ to maintain.

Like someone else said, i have done nothing to my 6hv since i built it other than ground the boom and upgrade motor (Compass motor didn't fail, I received a kick ass deal on a scorpion.)

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
superrmario is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heathy,

"Motor, is the "El Brute" out yet??"

No, The Brute is not out yet. I know they are working on it and testing new prototypes, but have no idea as to time frames. Scorpions seem to be the order of the day, for the time being.

"Blades, are the compass ones out yet??"

Yes, they are out. They look just like the ones for the 6HV (larger, of course). I have a set, but have not flown them yet (Mavericks on my 7HV, at the moment).

"Esc, Hobbywing hv120 any pobs?"

I am running the Punch R/C 120 Amp, HV ESC on mine. I received a testing sample, long before I got my 7HV and installed it on my Trex 700E. I liked it so much I got one for the 7HV. The programming is a bit awkward (manual by raising and lowering the throttle stick and listening for beeps and you have to save and re-initialize the ESC after every programming step, which takes time), but you only have to do that once, so it is not a big deal.

The 7HV feels very different from the 6HV. It is a bit smoother and even more solid, if that makes sense. It flies more like a simulator, in terms of completely symmetrical control response, than anything I have ever flown.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not bothered by maintence costs, or crash costs, for me its about bringing the total amount of helis down.
Size, which is illustrated nicely by i think crawls pic where he has them both sat side by side.
The 6hv does look very small for what it is, the 7hv addresses this well!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 7HV is a bad a$$... no comparison.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The only thing preventing me from getting a 7HV, other than initial cost, is repair cost, particularly the high cost of blades.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Heathy,

"Motor, is the "El Brute" out yet??"

No, The Brute is not out yet. I know they are working on it and testing new prototypes, but have no idea as to time frames. Scorpions seem to be the order of the day, for the time being.

"Blades, are the compass ones out yet??"

Yes, they are out. They look just like the ones for the 6HV (larger, of course). I have a set, but have not flown them yet (Mavericks on my 7HV, at the moment).

"Esc, Hobbywing hv120 any pobs?"

I am running the Punch R/C 120 Amp, HV ESC on mine. I received a testing sample, long before I got my 7HV and installed it on my Trex 700E. I liked it so much I got one for the 7HV. The programming is a bit awkward (manual by raising and lowering the throttle stick and listening for beeps and you have to save and re-initialize the ESC after every programming step, which takes time), but you only have to do that once, so it is not a big deal.

The 7HV feels very different from the 6HV. It is a bit smoother and even more solid, if that makes sense. It flies more like a simulator, in terms of completely symmetrical control response, than anything I have ever flown.
That last statement makes me lean even more towards the 7hv.

Isn't the punch the same as HW? Or have i read some tosh somewhere?

Motor wise, i like the look of the hyperion Jeff is using, its a scorpion with better bearings.

I would probably go with HV servos and a 2s too, i haven't had any probs with my Wr superbec, just read a few issues others have had and knowing my luck
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Isn't the punch the same as HW? Or have i read some tosh somewhere? "

No, I thought it was, but it is not the same. I thought it might be like the Turnigy (a re-branded HobbyWing), but it is different.

The HobbyWing's (if you have the programming card) are much easier to program.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Richard, altready have the HW program box, so will go with that.

Its starts already, this bloody drug called helis, and as with the 6hv, its all Jeff's aka crazy canucks fault

Just ordered from heli direct

1x outrage bl 9188 hv tail servo and 3x outrage bl9180 hv cyclics
with ups international $476 = £308 The 3 cyclics alone come to £322here
Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am certainly in the minority in this forum. I intially purchased with the PunchRC ESC. Once I layed out the wiring with a spark arrestor, WR Hercules 14S BEC, I was not so convinced I wanted that setup. I also read of the "simple" programming with a program box. I am a reliability engineer. I regularly analyze systems for single point failures. The fewer the better. I returned the WR BEC, and Punch ESC, and purchased the Kontronik 120HV. Way simpler, fewer single point failure components and connections. Excluding those who've already responded to your post, there've been several HW ESC failures. The tradeoff is that the Kontronik does not work with Vbar's governor. It was simple for me, when I read of several (still to this day), struggling to make it work. TheBum has done so successfully on his 6HV, and Ah Clem uses throttle curves. No too many running Vgov with HW or Punch. Most are flying BeastX and run flat curves. I know I am running on here, so sorry. Once they've made Punch run successfully on Vgov and have done so in many cases, I'd go with it. Until then, I will stick with Kontronik.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be using the skookum gov, which like v bar needs a phase sensor.

From what i gather, the CC / Kron will not work well with these. I need the skook gov for the collective management.

I will be using a 2s lipo for my electrics doing away with the super bec all together.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

YGE makes ESCs with built-in, externally accessible phase sensors, eliminating the need for a separate sensor. If I were to go with something other than a Punch or a HW, I'd go with one of the YGEs. They have the same sort of over-current protection that the Kontroniks do. I would still be sorely tempted to use an external BEC or receiver pack with a Kontronik because you still have single point failure possibilities when using the Kontronik BEC.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
):>

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The only thing preventing me from getting a 7HV, other than initial cost, is repair cost, particularly the high cost of blades.
+1 thats whats holding me back at the moment too. i think i may just get a 6hv and an atom 500 and dump the logo.
AMA#925546 IRCHA#3937

Team A main,Team Xpert
jt45255 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
+1, price of blades and I can't fit a generator in my sports car.

Heathy, if you use the HW esc you won't have issues using the skookum governor. 90 electric is a fantastic size. I wish I can have one but the 600 fits the bill.
Andy.Kim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greets Guys!
Noticed yesterday that Fast Lad are now selling the 7HV! Maybe Compass will now get a break in Europe. IMHO they have been too expensive to sell att decent(Nankin) prices all over the continent. One of the main reasons I do not fly Compass anymore. I wish them luck. The Atom and 6HV which i owned are GREAT machines, no doubt. Never got to check out the 7HV. I am a lucky TDR owner since 3 weeks back and I must say that there will be NO LOOKING BACK, EVER for me. Finally found a brand that is a pure advantage to fly in Europe, and one of the finest machines available today!!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I am certainly in the minority in this forum. I intially purchased with the PunchRC ESC. Once I layed out the wiring with a spark arrestor, WR Hercules 14S BEC, I was not so convinced I wanted that setup. I also read of the "simple" programming with a program box. I am a reliability engineer. I regularly analyze systems for single point failures. The fewer the better. I returned the WR BEC, and Punch ESC, and purchased the Kontronik 120HV. Way simpler, fewer single point failure components and connections. Excluding those who've already responded to your post, there've been several HW ESC failures. The tradeoff is that the Kontronik does not work with Vbar's governor. It was simple for me, when I read of several (still to this day), struggling to make it work. TheBum has done so successfully on his 6HV, and Ah Clem uses throttle curves. No too many running Vgov with HW or Punch. Most are flying BeastX and run flat curves. I know I am running on here, so sorry. Once they've made Punch run successfully on Vgov and have done so in many cases, I'd go with it. Until then, I will stick with Kontronik.
The people trying to use the VBar governor have inferior speed controllers and therefore would like the VBar governor to save the day. The Kontronic governor is top notch. I can barely tell the difference between the VBar gov and the Kontronic governor, so I am sticking with simplicity.

That being said. Does anyone want to buy some Hyperion phase sensors?
r1sportbike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in