Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pinion upgrade question, having an issue...

Ok, so I bought the complete 19T pinion uprade for my second NX4. However, as I spin the main gear by hand there is A LOT of resistance for a good 1/3 turn then it eases up a little but not all the way like my other NX4 with stock gears. The clutch bell looks like it has a little more runout than the other stock one as well.... Anyone else experience this? I shot Empire and email and will see about getting a new kit to try out.
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually, I'm dealing with this right now.... The stock pinion is 17, I believe, which fits just fine... Well, Of course the 19t pinion is larger, and the holes for the starter shaft/pinion/clutch bell are not oval... I just eyeballed it, and it appears, the new RED motor mount is set up for the larger pinions... BUT, I did not measure this... I just matched up the stock silver motor mount, to the red motor mount, and it looks like the red "sticks out" a little further to accommodate the larger pinion, and be in line with the starter shaft....

my guess is you/we will have to widen out the holes for the starter shaft/pinion so we can set the correct gear mesh... The tough part, is making sure the starter shaft/clutch line up correctly....

This is just my guess, I'm working on mine now, and noticed how much bigger the pinion was, in relation to the stock pinion, so came here to see what others have done with their "upgrades."

Good luck... hopefully someone who knows for sure can let me know if I'm correct or not...

Joe_Breezy
Diablo, Shape 9.0, Goblin 700 & 380, Sylphide 90, Srimok 90N x2, Srimok 90E, Dune, Vibe 90SG, TDR, E-Aurora, Logo 600SE & 500SE, T600 ESP, T600NSP, Synergy E6 & E5, Warp 360, Gaui NX4 & X4,T500, T450 Pro FBL, 180CFX and 130x
Breezyjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did a comparison between the stock and upgraded Red 19t pinion motor mount. Difference is difficult to measure, but as a whole the Red mount is 0.6mm longer than the stock, which makes sense.
But I tried to measure the "gap" here in the pic and got 1.3mm. So I think widening the mount holes for the pinion/starter shaft by approx 1mm should give you the correct gear mesh.

Take a look.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368464732.071026.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	420071

Good luck.

Joe_Breezy
Diablo, Shape 9.0, Goblin 700 & 380, Sylphide 90, Srimok 90N x2, Srimok 90E, Dune, Vibe 90SG, TDR, E-Aurora, Logo 600SE & 500SE, T600 ESP, T600NSP, Synergy E6 & E5, Warp 360, Gaui NX4 & X4,T500, T450 Pro FBL, 180CFX and 130x
Breezyjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 19 and 20 tooth pinion kits come with everything needed to do the entire job... There is absolutely no need to modify anything. It's all bolt in and go fly and have fun.
If your running a governor that requires the gear ratio to be entered into its parameters don't forget to change that as well in order to get the correct outcome..
Good luck. In sure your gonna really like the end result of that 19 tooth pinion.
I've tried all three now and the 19 is what I think is the best combination of torque and head speed
JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Pinion upgrade question, having an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamartin View Post
The 19 and 20 tooth pinion kits come with everything needed to do the entire job... There is absolutely no need to modify anything. It's all bolt in and go fly and have fun.
If your running a governor that requires the gear ratio to be entered into its parameters don't forget to change that as well in order to get the correct outcome..
Good luck. In sure your gonna really like the end result of that 19 tooth pinion.
I've tried all three now and the 19 is what I think is the best combination of torque and head speed
I'm using the complete kit, that's the problem. It's too much to fly. JC at empire is always helpful and I am going to send my kit in and try another to see if that fixes it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
Ok, so I bought the complete 19T pinion uprade for my second NX4. However, as I spin the main gear by hand there is A LOT of resistance for a good 1/3 turn then it eases up a little but not all the way like my other NX4 with stock gears. The clutch bell looks like it has a little more runout than the other stock one as well.... Anyone else experience this? I shot Empire and email and will see about getting a new kit to try out.
Did you install the red clutch block too?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
Did you install the red clutch block too?
Yep, it's a complete kit and all parts used. Could be a bad high spot on main gear, though I thought I had ruled the gear out. Wouldn't hurt to try again!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
Yep, it's a complete kit and all parts used. Could be a bad high spot on main gear, though I thought I had ruled the gear out. Wouldn't hurt to try again!

Hmm ok, just a thought.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmm ok, just a thought.
Thanks anyway!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You didn't take away take apart your main gear/auto gear/ one-way assembly did you? Like remove the sleeve?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also per Bobby when you install everything Keep it loose until you get all lined up perfect so the clutch bell spins easy then tighten everything
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You didn't take away take apart your main gear/auto gear/ one-way assembly did you? Like remove the sleeve?
Mmmm, I may have if I changed the main gear.... Otherwise, I had the issue with it factory assembled as well.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Also per Bobby when you install everything Keep it loose until you get all lined up perfect so the clutch bell spins easy then tighten everything
Yep, did that with both. The bone stock NX4 is very smooooooth!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just Built a NX4 for a friend, a super combo all stock except for 2 upgrades!

After 30 flights, All I can say is! I want one! That's a great heli!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezyjr View Post
I did a comparison between the stock and upgraded Red 19t pinion motor mount. Difference is difficult to measure, but as a whole the Red mount is 0.6mm longer than the stock, which makes sense.
But I tried to measure the "gap" here in the pic and got 1.3mm. So I think widening the mount holes for the pinion/starter shaft by approx 1mm should give you the correct gear mesh.

Take a look.
Attachment 420071

Good luck.

Joe_Breezy
I had no idea the red motor mount was different and didn't even think to check it. I bought the red motor mount only to stiffen the frames a bit and it binds the clutch bearing block pretty hard. I guess I'll go back to the stock mount. I wish they had noted that the red mount was for use with the upgraded pinion set only.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know this is an old thread, but for those like me, who are keen to overlook the obvious.. the clutch block mount for the 19/20t pinion upgrades is keyed, with an arrow on top pointing forward. Mounting it backwards will lead to much head scratching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in