Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, it is governor mode, no, you don't need a phase sensor. You will only need a phase sensor for external governors (VBar gov, Skookum gov, etc.). When using an internal governor (run from the ESC), no other equipment is needed. The Kontronik built-in governor is widely regarded as the best internal gov in the business. You'll be running a flat curve at whatever throttle percentage you choose (based on what RPM you decide on).
gravydrive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I did a little reading up and concluded about the same.
So when i program the jive to mode 4 it automatically works governed? No need to fiddle with any other things? No gov gain or things like that? Man it always seemed much more complicated than that
Then whatever throttle percentage i choose, the resulting headspeed will be held consistantly by the jive? Does anyone have any idea how much percent throttle i have to run to get around 2000 headspeed with the 500kv motor and 13t pinion?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Head speed calc
http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/

Also here are Mr Mel's Kontronik esc programming vids.

Super easy and the best ESC gov.
http://heli.dacsa.net/MrMelSite/styled-3/index.html
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow thanks guys. Great advise as usual. You really allready helped out a lot
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried watching mrmel's kontronic videos but they don't work. Says they're private..
They're not on his youtube channel too.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post
Tried watching mrmel's kontronic videos but they don't work. Says they're private..
They're not on his youtube channel too.
Check this thread for details:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=441265

In short, Kontronik forced MrMel to remove the videos. Something I consider violation of the human rights and also bunch of EU freedom laws.
Kalpazan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes some BS political correctness or something going on, Align winge about forum stuff, now Kontronic wants to alienate us, cannot see the point in taking down great ref videos, Kontronic, the alternative is...????

But I have programmed a few, quite simple with TX stick, VITAL- ensure that your throttle curve is 0% - 100% linear to program, otherwise the ESC will remember a limited stick range and you will get wierd results, but do:

Mode 1 reset,
Mode 4 Govenor,
Mode 9 Lipo protection (not vital but I do like the cell count pips)

I have the progdisc, if you can borrow one, I like to tweek: BEC 6v, Lipo protection slow down and 3v, spool up time left at 12s default. These not absolutely necessary at all.

Then I use the android head spead app, works perfect, use Mels HS calc to program the speads you want, then fine tune by altering your throttle curve live at 0% pitch, middle stick, then alter the rest of the positions.

VITAL: Use a fully charged battery to calibrate HS, otherwise the ESC will not give consistant results as the HS is a percentage based on voltage at boot-up.

When finished have throttle curves:

Normal 0% to 1st HS in 25% stick move then flat line with -3Deg pitch max, full +13Deg
Idle 1 Flatine at HS 2 Pitch +-13% symmetrical
Idle 2 Flatline at HS 3 Pitch as above.

Throttle hold at 0% throttle, full symmetrical pitch curve.
I also program in a throttle cut at 0% for extra safety, had a minor incident when canopy hit TH switch, never again!

Once you have experienced Kontronic govenor you wont want it any other way!!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking of using a life pack instead of bec for extra security. I don't quit trust bec's fully

Great advise on the esc setup! So max collective pitch shouldn't be more than 13 degrees? Not that i was planning on running more

As far as esc setup, reset mode1, set mode4 and mode9 and figure out headspeed. That really is simple.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem, ref BEC, the only one I do trust, we are flying 2.5k TDR heli's on it, no problems at all, Jan Henseliet states in his manuals thate LiFe not necessary but up to you. For course HS use Mels calc and select Jive Mode 4 as govenor, doesnt get much simpler,
Alun
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you mean the kontronic bec is the only one you trust? Maybe i have to reconsider then but i was thinking of using a seperate rx because i have an ar8000 laying around. What's the best way to supply power then?
I've been looking at mel's headspeed calc. It's real usefull. The only thing i don't get is peak efficiency.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Correct, just make sure you have two cables Master/Slave from Kontronic to RX, use any spare servo port that way you spread the current draw.
Peak efficiency leave at 90%, have to find specs in the motor manual otherwise.
BTW I have the 560kv motor, 10 Cell battery, the 11T pinion is looking optimum, have one on order but 12 will do for now. Suspect there will be high current draw for lower HS, 1800-1950, not good for lower HS efficiently.

BTW if using seperate RX and VBAR, you will have to split the power between them, best to concentrate the power where the servos are so would prefer a third connection RX to Vbar, difficult with Mini Vbar as all connectors usually in use with separate RX. Satellites much neater, you then can use RX C as a second power input.
Alun
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My kit came with a 13t pinion. But the motor is only 500kv. I guess they altered the kits a bit?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bought a bare bones and a motor seperate, actually was going to just upgrade the 500SE to monster power but soon realised I would need bigger canopy for battery size and a few odds and sods, what the hell, just get another heli.
Alun
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Do you mean the kontronic bec is the only one you trust? Maybe i have to reconsider then but i was thinking of using a seperate rx because i have an ar8000 laying around. What's the best way to supply power then?
I've been looking at mel's headspeed calc. It's real usefull. The only thing i don't get is peak efficiency.
I'm not trying to dissuade you to use a life pack but the only time I had a BEC failure on the JIVE was when I had a main pack failure. Your life pack would then at least allow the servos to work as a safety. I lucked out and my heli fell into the tall reeds and had no damage but with a life pack I would have been able to safely auto down with no power.
Logo 690SX - Stock Scorpion motor, 12s 4500 packs
sgrim80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
My kit came with a 13t pinion. But the motor is only 500kv. I guess they altered the kits a bit?
A 13T pinion is a great pinion for 10s packs with a 500kv motor. 85% should give you close to 2200rpm if that is the headspeed you are shooting for.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to mr mel's headspeed calculator 67% should give me 2087 headspeed.. 73% should be 2200
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I would use the Kontronik BEC and just use a buffer pack. The buffer pack is a small nicad pack running 5V and is there incase of a main pack failure or esc failure.

And it is nice for doing setup cause you can power up the radio gear with the buffer pack. You never have to charge the buffer pack, it gets charged in flight.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
According to mr mel's headspeed calculator 67% should give me 2087 headspeed.. 73% should be 2200
Correct for the non-atv adjusted percentage. I always adjust my ATV and use those percentages instead because if you are posting percentages online it levels the playing field. This was explained in Mr. Mels JIVE videos but I think they have been taken down.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
I would use the Kontronik BEC and just use a buffer pack. The buffer pack is a small nicad pack running 5V and is there incase of a main pack failure or esc failure.

And it is nice for doing setup cause you can power up the radio gear with the buffer pack. You never have to charge the buffer pack, it gets charged in flight.
Do you mean something like this? http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/2200...sf-p-4044.html
I just plug this into a free rx port and it get's charged while i fly?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrim80 View Post
Correct for the non-atv adjusted percentage. I always adjust my ATV and use those percentages instead because if you are posting percentages online it levels the playing field. This was explained in Mr. Mels JIVE videos but I think they have been taken down.
How does this work exactly? Why should i adjust atv? That's travel adjust right?
Wow I feel like a noob all over again..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in