Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tarot ZYX Firmware V4.0 Flight review

Many of you probably know Tarot has released a new update for the ZYX and ZYX-S. This is both a firmware and PC software update. Get it from here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...D15%26id%3D273

I went to the field and flew 3 packs on the newly updated CX-ZYX v4 on my CopterX 450 Black Angel.

Good news:
- for me, the cyclic feel is significantly improved. It is crisper, more connected (less robotic). The gyro no longer feels like it resists inputs around center - I managed to fly some of the best piroflips I've ever done on the 450 to date. It feels like they added a feed forward gain (perhaps that's what the new advanced parameter is: "Burst Coefficient").
- slow piros are definitely more stable than FW 3.5. However, piro comp seems to fade on fast piros after 4-5 full revs and significant cyclic inputs are required to regain a flat attitude.

Bad news:
- the pitch-up in FFF is still present. It's is a lot less abrupt and violent than 3.5, but still does it.
- Multiple barrel rolls in FFF still result in a pronounced nose-up tendency
- Looks like they made some changes to the gain algorithms, because I kept getting minor head wobble when the disk was unloaded, and subtle tail wag in FFF. Slight gain reductions may be required.
- collective feel unchanged (still vague)

All in all, I really dig the new and improved cyclic feel. Next up, I'm going to upgrade the ZYX on my Protos, and that will be a real test of what v4 can do.

EDIT: my 450 has cheap Solar D654 cyclic servos and is equipped with a bunch of extra weight for night flying. Its CG is awful (very nose-heavy) because of all the LEDs and wiring on the canopy. I guess there are limits to how stable it can be in piros, no matter what gyro flies it...
Goblin Speed | iKon

Last edited by Dr. M; 03-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: equipment specs
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great write up thanks for the review! I found it on accident today, while trying to download 3.5 which fails every time I went to the link. Went directly to Tarot's Chinese page found version 4, kind of surprised I haven't heard anything about it, glad you wrote this up, so we know it is ready for use.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It was officially released today, 2013-03-08.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got a chance to upgrade and test fly v4 on the CX-ZYX gyro flying my PRÔTOS. Let me officially retract all the "bad" things I wrote before about v4 which were based on flying the 450BA.

- I could not get the Protos to pitch-up in FFF into the wind. And I mean all-out, balls-to-the-wall, full pitch death dive FFF.
- piro stability was superb. I stopped counting after 10 full revs, but I bet you could piro essentially indefinitely on a well-balanced heli, needing little or no corrections. I added in some piro pitch pumps just for kicks and they were also perfectly stable.
- no more annoying and unexplainable tail drift
- I don't know if it's just the euphoria of a great flying day with a great gyro update, but collective feel seemed a bit better than 3.5. Not as crisp as the Brain, but somewhat less rubbery. I particularly noticed the blade fart sound on the Protos during hard stops was definitely different, more authoritative than v3.5.

The good things I wrote before still apply, particularly the new, crisper, more connected cyclic feel.

I'm really impressed by firmware v4. Good job Tarot!
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have the zyx-s. To upgrade to v4 (from 3.5) do i use the zyx-s400. will i have to set the gyro up again and will it still have settings from v3.5?
gileswalmisley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, use the firmware with the "-s" designation.

No, you will not need to redo any setup. It's pretty much a 2-minute thing: plug in, update, unplug, fly.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok. thankyou.
gileswalmisley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have downloaded the software from Tarot but I cannot get it to load on the ZYX. I have the ZYX powered up, on the heli, and connected to the ZYX software on my computer. I push the open button and it asks for a file. I highlite ZYX400 and push open on the computer screen. Then I push upgrade and the blue lite starts blinking on the usb connector to the ZYX gyro. It blinks for a couple of minutes and then says the upgrade timed out, please try again. It just does the same thing over and over. What is wrong?
The open button on the ZYX software says to power up the ZYX gyro then power it off, then power it up again and push the set button. Then push the upgrade button. I didn't push the set button, don't even know where it is. Is this necessary?
Air Wolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You did the first half correct but once you open the file and the screen goes back to main view, leave zyx connected to USB and remove battery from Heli. On zyx push the recessed set button while powering up Heli. Once the zyx is flashing red led push the upgrade button in zyx computer software application. A progress bar in bottom bar of software will show firmware upgrade progress

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is a tiny recessed button on the side of gyro opposite the connector where the programming cable goes in. You need a paperclip or some other tiny object to push that button while you plug in the battery (a second set of hands is really helpful). If done correctly, the red LED will be flashing. Only then can you hit the upgrade button in the software.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well fellows I did the upgrade, found the little set button and held it in while my better half plugged the battery back up. The red light started flashing and I pushed the upgrade icon on the screen. The blue light on the usb connector started flashing and the upgrade progress bar started moving. A popup box came up in a little bit and said the upgrade was complete. The gyro was a solid red light and the controls responded; still hooked to the computer. I unplugged the usb connector from the gyro and it still worked the controls. Big grin on my face. Shut down the heli and tx. Restarted the transmitter and the heli. The gyro never lite up any lite. I have retried several times but the gyro will not restart. Any suggestions? I was going to reinstall the upgrade but that will not work. Can't connect to the gyro unless it is powered up and finished rebooting itself. Hope the gyro is not ruined.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Air wolf do you have a ZYX or ZYX-S ? There are different .bin firmware files for each hardware.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the ZYX; the file I upgraded with is ZYX400.BIN
I just don't under stand why nothing will lite up on the gyro. Just setting there with the heli powered up, every once in a while the rudder servo will twitch a little bit. I tried pushing the set/reset button but that seemed to do nothing at all. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get John's app v1.22 from fbl.net.nz. It can update the firmware without needing to connect. Try to flash the firmware again: just get the gyro in update mode with the little button and hit Upgrade in John's app.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have down loaded the app V1.22 twice now. I downloads fine and the wizards sets it up quickly. I got the ZYX400.Bin file in to the Open Button, then powered up the gyro in set mode with red light flashing. Pushed the upgrade button and a pop up window tells me to select the com port. I use com 4 for this app but there is no where on the display screen to select the com port. The place where it is on the Tarot software has nothing in it on John's software. Tried pushing the upgrade button again but got the same pop up window. Tried again using the force upgrade button and the window came up and told me I was not connected. Thought maybe the download got screwed up so I uninstalled it and started over. Same results. What can I try now?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I finally got a com 4 port. Brought up the Tarot software and plugged the usb connector in while com 4 was selected. Opened John's software and com4 was showing. When through the upgrade again and it installed the upgraded software but the results are the same. The gyro will not initate. No lights at all; the red light was on and flashing during the upgrade and went to a solid red light when the software finished installing. The gyro still would not connect nor would any of the controls respond. The rudder still moves on its own at random times. The receiver is powered up and the gyro has power from the esc. Shut down the heli and tx, repowered up again but the same results. What next?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm... that's the first I've heard of this. Is this a genuine ZYX, or a cross-flashed CX 3x1000?

I'd check your wiring, check the Rx is still bound to the Tx. Try to flash the gyro again, and give it a few minutes after it's done sending the firmware before power cyclic the gyro. Power cycle it twice.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered one of these Tarot ZYX FBL units with a head for my 450 pro today, cant wait for it to arrive and get it all setup, other than my 130x this will be my first FBL heli.
HeliGuy UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dr. M I take it you used the John's app v1.22 software to do your upgrade and not the ZYX software included in the download?
sam man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam man View Post
Dr. M I take it you used the John's app v1.22 software to do your upgrade and not the ZYX software included in the download?
I used both, one on each of my two gyros.
Goblin Speed | iKon

Tags
firmware 4.0, tarot zyx, zyx-s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in