Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3S VS 6S What are the benefits?

I'm considering Upgrading my 450 Setup to a 6S System. To do that I will need to purchase a 6S Motor. All other Components will handle the higher 22.2V System. What are the benefits to going to 6s?
Longer flights?
More power?
More Efficient?

Thanks All You helifreaks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

6S is a little more efficient (lower amps, less heat) than 3S. Flight times are usually about the same or can be less because you can get higher wattage motors for 6S. Sometimes battery selection (sizing) can be an issue going to 6S, need to really be careful when selecting.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

going by the factor of the HS 3000 for both systems:

3S:

Cons: lighter setups, COG is balanced easily. Less strain or wear and tear to the mechanical components, due to it's lighter setup.

Pros: shorter flight time, tends to run a bit hotter than a 6S setup. Lipos can be a bit more expensive if you get a lipo with a much higher C rating.

6S:

Cons: longer flight time(depending on HS and they way you fly). Generally about 1 or 2 mins more than a 3S. Can run much cooler(depending on your setup: as in equipment used and knowing how to configure it correctly). Can be slightly a bit more powerful than a 3S setup.

Pros: most 6S setups heavier than a 3S setup due to the 6S lipo being used. Again depending on the your setup, if the nose is heavy, you might need to get a bigger tail servo to adjust the COG(ie: KST 515MG). Can be a bit more expensive depending on the lipo or motor being used. The weight can put a slight strain on some of the mechanical components of the heli.

4S: Similar to a 6S setup, but using a 3S motor(not all motors can do it, but there is a lot that can.

Cons: depending on the setup can have a lot more power, similar to a 6S. No need to buy a 4S motor if your 3S motor can handle(best to test it on the bench about 5-7 packs to make sure, keep an eye on temp on esc,lipo, and motor). Longer flight time similar to a 6S, depending on the lipo being used.

Pros: similar to a 6S, weight will factor in, depending on the components. A little bit of a strain due to the weight. Can run hot, make sure you have a big esc and good lipos to do the job well, and keep the throttle between 80% and under 90%. With this setup you really need to do a lot of bench testing before applying it to your heli. Find the sweet spot.
gimbleguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbleguy View Post
going by the factor of the HS 3000 for both systems:

3S:

Cons: lighter setups, COG is balanced easily. Less strain or wear and tear to the mechanical components, due to it's lighter setup.

Pros: shorter flight time, tends to run a bit hotter than a 6S setup. Lipos can be a bit more expensive if you get a lipo with a much higher C rating.

6S:

Cons: longer flight time(depending on HS and they way you fly). Generally about 1 or 2 mins more than a 3S. Can run much cooler(depending on your setup: as in equipment used and knowing how to configure it correctly). Can be slightly a bit more powerful than a 3S setup.

Pros: most 6S setups heavier than a 3S setup due to the 6S lipo being used. Again depending on the your setup, if the nose is heavy, you might need to get a bigger tail servo to adjust the COG(ie: KST 515MG). Can be a bit more expensive depending on the lipo or motor being used. The weight can put a slight strain on some of the mechanical components of the heli.

4S: Similar to a 6S setup, but using a 3S motor(not all motors can do it, but there is a lot that can.

Cons: depending on the setup can have a lot more power, similar to a 6S. No need to buy a 4S motor if your 3S motor can handle(best to test it on the bench about 5-7 packs to make sure, keep an eye on temp on esc,lipo, and motor). Longer flight time similar to a 6S, depending on the lipo being used.

Pros: similar to a 6S, weight will factor in, depending on the components. A little bit of a strain due to the weight. Can run hot, make sure you have a big esc and good lipos to do the job well, and keep the throttle between 80% and under 90%. With this setup you really need to do a lot of bench testing before applying it to your heli. Find the sweet spot.
I think you mixed up your Pros vs Cons... or I was reading this wrong??? Maybe it is how you guys do it "down under." (just joking )
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdad View Post
I think you mixed up your Pros vs Cons... or I was reading this wrong??? Maybe it is how you guys do it "down under." (just joking )
Good to see I'm not being ignored
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To the OP: I forgot to mention, the most important of all. Oil the bearings, especially if you are planning to use cheap motors, give the bearings a drop of oil and spin it by hand, before every flight(cheap motors only). Check with your motor manual for maintenance procedures. If possible replace them with ceramic bearings.

How to Oil your Scorpion Motor Bearings by Innov8tive Designs (12 min 20 sec)

Also I found with some motors, they are slightly out of balance. With all my motors, I check them on the bench for balancing. I download an android app to my phone, that does vibes analysis. Balancing your motors will or can save a bit on vibrations.

Last edited by gimbleguy; 03-03-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6s 450L wfo for 3:45 seconds and the batteries, esc, and motor are barely warm.... same wfo flight on 3s and you can fry eggs.... much more efficient!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in