Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jakk have you done the grommets behind the links in the msrx are you sure it helps
timmyd463229 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd463229 View Post
Jakk have you done the grommets behind the links in the msrx are you sure it helps
Yes I have, it's like a completely different heli after just this simple mod. I use a full grommet under the long swash ball links and a 1/2 grommet under all the rest plus I installed the Micro Heli alum blade grip for the MSR which removed the slop that the stock grips had on the feathering shaft. My heli flew terrible stock out of the box but it's very tight in control and easy now for me to fly. I haven't crashed since the updates. DO IT....
Jakk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I made a quick video showing how stable an msrx can fly, I tried my best to keep inputs to a minimum

This is a totally stock heli, just with some cosmetic changes and the linkages adjusted

I'm using a DX8 with 100% endpoints, 100% rates, no expo, no mixes and no trim

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_dWT4ursY[/ame]

Really the point of the video is to demonstrate, "some" msrx's can do it, we need to try to work out what's happening with the others, I would say that we shouldn't have to mess about like this, but the end result is worth it

I'm not too bothered if it will actually hover hands off, I thought it was a good demonstration

It really did take off and find it's own hover purely on throttle, no cyclic or rudder
You can see that it doesn't 100% hover on the spot, but with literally, gentle prods, it goes where it is told.

A quick apology for the standard of the video, I've been up for about 18 hours, had 3.5 hours sleep last night and just returned from an 7 hour drive. I'll try to post some better videos tomorrow
The camera was on a box on a stool, so I was having to reach around it to get to my TX!
I also need to sort out my camera, the quality of the video is pretty poor

Last edited by toys2cars2toys; 01-13-2012 at 09:12 PM..
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

@toys what linkage adjustments did you do I am trying -2 in elevator and so far -1 in aileron because in left turns it shoots backwards and right but still working on it
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
@toys what linkage adjustments did you do I am trying -2 in elevator and so far -1 in aileron because in left turns it shoots backwards and right but still working on it
I did 3 out on the aileron and 1 in on the elevator, it used to drift more to the left on take of and during left hand piros
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the left hands more stable now?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Are the left hands more stable now?
Yes, a lot better, it will drift on piro, but not shoot off and it can be controlled
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks for the info this is my first heli so any help is great
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info this is my first heli so any help is great
One of the key things on this heli to to try not to over control it, look how little I'm moving the sticks and only for a short time, even then at one point it comes backwards more than expected whilst I was looking at the camera screen

Spend a good bit of time just trying to hover in one place with the tail facing you, once you are happy with that, then move it around a little, always with the tail facing you
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can hover pretty good its the turning left while moving forwards that's the problem
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I can hover pretty good its the turning left while moving forwards that's the problem
Cool, even with the adjustments, it does banked turns better to the right than the left, it will do them to the left with more practice, I use both aileron and rudder (probably elevator) in either direction, it seems as though the timing is more critical to the left

I'm going to practice this more outside and possibly try a mix, but I tend to avoid mixing if possible
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I can get it sometimes if I use left aileron and left rudder and forward a little all at once it's confusing but I'm sure I'll get it....I'm doing it on the stock transmitter so I can't do mixes or anything
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yeah I can get it sometimes if I use left aileron and left rudder and forward a little all at once it's confusing but I'm sure I'll get it....I'm doing it on the stock transmitter so I can't do mixes or anything
I couldn't get on with the stock transmitter (on the old msr) the feeling of precision when you move up is outstanding
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah that's what I keep hearing lol but definitely can't buy a decent one for a while fiancé will kill me lol
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Short version - another for this tip.

Long version:

Prior to this adjustment, i'd say that based on the descriptions of others i had one of the 'better' mSRx's out there. I'm a FP noob before this, so it did take a bit to figure out what was me and what was the heli.
- Hover was no problem (once it clicked), and it didn't have any really nasty habits like shooting off when touching the rudder.
- Slow pirots did have some drift (manageable)
- Fast pirots were ok for 1 or 2...but then would get squirrely.
- FF right turns were smooth and natural.
- FF lefts - i had gotten to where i could do them smoothly - but it was only when i really focused on the necessary cyclic corrections - and even then it was far from 100%. With that said though, i could turn left, but if i didnt get it perfect it wasn't a crash - just sliding off to the side and losing speed. The one uninteded side effect was that i had really become dependant on right turns and pretty much avoided any left unless i was intentionally trying to practive the left.

Post adjustment i would break down like this:
- hover was just about normal. no real changes noticed.
- slow pirots seemed about the same. I was kinda unimpressed here as i expected less drift if i didn't touch the cyclic.
- fast pirots were maybe slightly better - but it was a very small improvement
- FF right turns - still smooth as silk and natural
- FF left turns - first one was kinda sketchy as i tried to use my 'normal' corrections. after a few more - wow - just like the right turns. on my second patch - wow - i just did left turn without even preplanning or thinking about it.

And then pack 4 it really clicked. I was just flying around playing with random stuff. Did a few nose in funnels as i had before...and then i realized - that was a nose in funnel the other direction. I'd never even been able to get close to one in the other direction (requireing left rudder, not right). And the best part it was just something i did naturally, not something i had to force.

Definately a big thumbs up from me and it has made a enjoyable bird that much more enjoyable.
-
Timeetyo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

@timeetyo
Did you do the grommets and link adjustments
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
@timeetyo
Did you do the grommets and link adjustments
Yeah, i've got MH grips, and every linkage grommeted w/ either a canopy grommit or a small one (like on stock grips) that i had on hand from force heli leftovers. This was done about a week ago, and it definately helped keep the slop out and cleaned up the hover.
Timeetyo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you VERY MUCH! I could hardly fly this thing until this mod

What a difference this has made for me! my swash was level and the heli was very hard to control. I did the recemended adjustments and it made a huge difference.

THANK YOU!

Stockstinks.
stockstinks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstinks View Post
What a difference this has made for me! my swash was level and the heli was very hard to control. I did the recemended adjustments and it made a huge difference.

THANK YOU!

Stockstinks.
I'm glad this worked for you and the others that have had success

reading this and other forums, I've guess about 90% have seen a worthwhile improvement, others are still tweaking. It will never make the msrx piro endlessly without any cyclic control, but it will stop it zooming off

I would encourage anyone to give it a try
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1, for me it was the single best improvement I've tried, by far. I noticed that I can get the forward tilt adjusted just right for a flat left turn, but then it dips the nose too much in a right turn. I finally settled on a good compromise that requires a touch of forward cyclic in a slow left turn and a touch of backwards cyclic in a slow right turn. The amount of right cyclic needed to coordinate turns in both directions will depend on forward speed. So much easier to fly, and more enjoyable too.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in