Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helijive mode 8

Are many people using mode 8 of the helijive and how is it working?
How reliable and safe is it with vbar 5.3 and helijive version 13?
Any problems when using it with a non-kontronik motor?
Any tips on how to set it up?

Is it correct that in mode8 there is a 6second softstart in the helijive, or is there no softstart at all in the esc?
I am wondering if it would also work with the MSH Brain, but there it seems to work best to have no softstart in the esc but perhaps if it is only 6 seconds with the HJ then it might work.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The external gov (vbar) starts a throttle ramp.

At 12% throttle the JIVE starts the spoolup.

The ext gov should give the JIVE at least two seconds for that, means stop his ramp-up during that time. Should..

The potential problem is that the commanded rpm (throttle->pwm->rpm-by-kv-and-voltage) is not synchronized in any way between ESC and gov. No synchronization between rpm (pwm) and external throttle value. Especially the mentioned throttle ramp should be well coordinated to the status of spoolup from standstill.
So most times there will be a little hiccup at the transfer point.

That's not very good, chance for a commutation failure.

Now guess what the answer is on your motor question.

-----
In a car with a non-synchronized gearbox can certainly engage the next gear without using the clutch. You have to master only...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HJv10_Mode8_ts612.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	486695  
Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
The ext gov should give the JIVE at least two seconds for that, means stop his ramp-up during that time. Should..
I guess you say should because I dont see any flat part in the yellow curve and I presume that curve represents the vbar spoolup

Why is the Jive so sensitive to jumps in throttle input? Because for example yge has no problem with this. Would it help to set the jive to fixed timing?

The following is pointless because kontronik will likely never change it...
And I would think it would have been a lot better if the jive used a properly calibrated zero-throttle (not start at 12%) and had a very short softstart (actually non-existent like airplane mode normally has? ) then it would simply follow the vbar rampup from the start and there would be no jumping or handing over.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Why is the Jive so sensitive to jumps in throttle input?
It isn't.

Please distinguish two states:
- Spoolup from standstill. That is the sole job of the ESC.
- Commutation running.

Between both states the agreement is, to wait! Ramp runs or jumps to 12% of throttle, spoolup from standstill starts. Therefore we have another, most important agreement: About the throttle pulse length, and so, who is who so to speak. No teach-in of the pulse length understanding in mode 8.

Then the external gov have to wait! Have to wait that commutation runs. Here are our 2+ seconds. It's up to the ext gov not to provoke a problem.

After that, with running commutation, you can do with throttle what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HJv10_Mode8_ts6_PWMfollowsTHROTTLE3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	486696  
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the info

anyone who is using mode 8 with the vbar? how do you like it?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mode 8 is designed to be used with the VBar and Pyro motor only ,The default soft spoolup speed is not to be changed as it is necessary for the handoff of the govenor to the VBar.The performance of the other Heli modes 4,5,6 are better than using a external govenor mode 8.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
Mode 8 is designed to be used with the VBar and Pyro motor only ,The default soft spoolup speed is not to be changed as it is necessary for the handoff of the govenor to the VBar.The performance of the other Heli modes 4,5,6 are better than using a external govenor mode 8.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Even though you can tune the PID of the Jive via the program disc you still can not smoothly delay the "snap reaction" time as you can with external governor mode. I will not disagree that the Jives have one of the best standard governors there are, however the tuning is not only easier externally but also and easily seen improvement when dealing with high torque motors & high powered systems. The external feature which allows the FBL to control also takes into account the other active parameters as well ie: collective position/pitch etc, therefore more speaking to achieve a more accurate account of whats needed for rpm. IMO mode 8 is the best mode for better tail behaving in both quick collective changes and even seen in natural smooth transitions. Myself and a few other fellows discussed and demonstrated this very fact with Jan Burmeister (since departed K) ..Ircha 2011....Thus after that MODE 8 was created.

Come Ircha if all stars align and I'm there I will be glad to demonstrate the difference, its easily seen and noted in easy to replicate maneuvers. In order to have a perfect or close to behaving tail you need a governors "catch" to have some give/delay although minute it's important, if too aggressive and no cushion on this catch the tail is visibly trying to catch up to the governors reaction to load changes. Even the MKS X8 can not react quick enough to "disc load" only positioning.

Last edited by OICU812; 02-20-2014 at 09:44 AM..
OICU812 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in