Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Intermediate TRex 500 Pilot seeking first plane

I have been flying helis for a few years now, (I can do backflips and fast figure 8s on my T-REX 500) and since training for my PPL fixed wing license I have become more interested in getting a RC plane model.

I want a Plane model that I can put my 6S T500 lipos in
I will also be using my RDS8000 TX so I don't need something that comes with a TX or an RX since I willbe buying another airtronics RX to put in it.

I am hoping on a 6 cell I can get a decent sized EP plane?

I am not too worried about the difficulty as I have some plane sim time and find them fairly easy to fly after flying helis, so will probably skip trainers.

I prefer scale, retracts would be a added bonus but not essential.

I saw another thread below that recommended the ParkZone T-28D, and I like the look of it however would it be ideal for my T500 batteries?

Your suggestions much appreciated
Kinjo695 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

try this it would look great in the air, and if it flies anything like the foam version it's a kittycat at 130 MPH

http://www.brunswickrcclub.com/
CTG1129 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default looks awesome

Definately looks awesome and I love jets but I can't help but think I might smash it into the ground very hard as jets in the sim are very fast and twitchy.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some "scale" planes have fixed gear. This one is designed for 2x 3S2200 so it might work with your 6S packs, and you can set it up to be as twitchy as you'd like!

http://www.extramx.net/

Or you could look at running two parallel 6S packs in something like this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2420

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Decided to give up on finding a 6cell plane because the RTF 4cell planes are so cheap.

I am currently thinking I will buy one of these:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4bkxovYAI&feature=fvw[/ame]

It seems big enough that later on If I wanted I could put a beast of an motor in, change the ESC and perhaps run it on 6cell.

Now all I need is to decide spitfire or mustang
Old 11-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I say Spitfire, mainly because the P-51 is done to death, and I like the P-51 in general. Really it's whatever you like best though. Have fun and good luck, planes are pretty relaxing if you can already fly a heli well, you have a blast. Just rememer to use most of your first pack to figure out the crucial parts like stall speed (pretty high up preferably), approach line and landing it, then start tearing up the skies. It's easy to fly around
doing loops and tools and such and not leave much battery for working out the landing.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not for your batteries, but how about this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2875

It is a trainer and can use the batteries from a 450. I myself plan on getting one this spring to learn how to fly planes. It is not fancy, but according to the guy I am working with at my field to learn planes, this one makes a nice trainer and should remain fun for quite a while.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can fly helis decently then I'd say skip trainers, their capabilities fall short very quickly. Unless you have absolutely no idea of how to land a plane I'd recommend a sport plane/ warbird/ or possible an acrobatic/3D plane (my first was a UM 4-site 3D an I loved it).

Is the guy at your field a heli guy that flies planes, a plane guy that flies helis or strictly a planker. If he's the latter two of the three then that explains recommending a trainer.

Last edited by Mojappa; 02-10-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Mojappa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

He is a heli guy who flies planks.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, not saying trainers aren't good for learning, just my experience that they are the "coaxials" of the airplane world. They teach you the basics but leave you wanting more. Then again I started with micros which are twitchier but more forgiving on hard landings and more conducive to being ditched. After getting the hang of landing the Sukhoi I moved to the Extra 300 as my first big plane and thanks to the micros didn't have much intimidation from landing it, granted that's all I did on the first flight was work out approaches. 5:00 into a 6:00 maiden flight is a bad time to acknowledge that you don't know the stall speed and handling characteristics as slower speeds. Had I started off with a big plane I might have chosen a trainer. The Hobbyzone (I think) Switch looks nice since you don't have to buy a new plane after you get bored of the high wing, just move the wings to the midmount position and now you've got a sport trainer.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point. I may still get it so there is another trainer in the club and I may help new people though. I will have to think on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in