Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default lynx tail pitch slider question

Hey all I got a nicely upgraded 300x and all the weaknesses are addressed except for the tail. It flies so smooth and I have no vibrations buy I do have a lot of skip developing in the pitch slider and tail hub. I'm getting an upgraded metal hub no problem. But my question is I don't want to replace everything I. the tail with metal. I just want to get rid of the slop so can I get away with just the lynx pitch slider and keep the stock lever? Does the lynx slider want different size screws that fit in that channel or will stock work just as good?

I the stock pitch lever is fine with no slop so I don't want to replace it. Just trying to stay on a budget and no get unnesscesary parts. Thank you
mikeyforgot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the lynx pitch slider on order, and using the plastic lever. thinking the pins will be the same. I hope.
burkep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yea that's exactly what I'm thinking and that just the pitch slider itself will take out The slop by that channel being a closer tolerance and not being plastic that wears.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

I'll try to remember to take some measurements and post up some pictures tonight. I have the Lynx slider/lever on both my 300X and 450X and I have the stock ones in my spare parts bin. I seem to recall the pins on the Lynx slider were a little bit wider than the stock version, but I could be wrong about that. I'll post back later when I'm home.

I will say that they (slider & lever) are a good upgrade. They're one of the only "bling" parts I've left on my Blade Helis.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

I took some measurements off the parts I have on hand using some digital calipers. It's pretty much like I remembered, the pins on the Lynx pitch lever are definitely wider.
  • Stock Lever Pin Diameter: 2.01 mm
  • Lynx Lever Pin Diameter: 2.21 mm
  • Stock Slider Gap Width: 2.20 mm
  • Lynx Slider Gap Width: 2.24 mm
Note: The stock plastic slider is actually kind of inconsistent and varies slightly around the circumference. The numbers above are an average of several measurements I took from each.

So doing the math...
  • Stock Lever with Stock Slider = 2.01 - 2.20 = 0.19 mm slop
  • Stock Lever with Lynx Slider = 2.01 - 2.24 = 0.23mm slop
  • Lynx Lever with Lynx Slider - 2.21 - 2.24 = 0.03 mm slop
  • Lynx Lever with Stock slider = 2.21 - 2.20 = 0.01 mm OVER
Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the Lynx Lever with Lynx Slider combo is the way to go.

I'm still using the original stock lever and slider that are now 2 years old. What likely improvements to flight characteristics might I notice in the air using the Lynx combo with less slop?

Is the Lynx tail case just bling and added weight?
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
Looks like the Lynx Lever with Lynx Slider combo is the way to go.
Yeah it's really tight tolerence....that 0.03 mm is almost nothing. It's just enough that it doesn't bind in the slider, but you can't really feel any side-to-side play when you wiggle it by hand.

Quote:
I'm still using the original stock lever and slider that are now 2 years old. What likely improvements to flight characteristics might I notice in the air using the Lynx combo with less slop?
Only the obvious that less slop should make the tail gyro response a little quicker and more precise.

Quote:
Is the Lynx tail case just bling and added weight?
I'm sure the Lynx tail case is nicely made just like all their stuff, however I haven't used it. I had the aluminum case from Blade on there for a time, but I've since went back to the plastic one to save some weight and I have no desire to change it out at this time. It might be a good idea if you're going for crazy headspeed. I've had no problems with the stock plastic one while governing around 3500 RPM using the T-Rex 450 tail hub/grips.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail case is hefty at 4 grams heavier than stock but there are certainly some advantages to running it. The idler pulley allows a much looser belt, the one piece design makes it so the shaft can be removed w/o splitting the case, it comes with shims to eliminate any side to side slop, it has much nicer bearings, and it has none of the screw tightness vibe issues found with the stock one. It should also be noted that some of the Lynx tail pieces are actually lighter than stock and switching from the stock tail with align hub to the complete Lynx tail assembly only adds 0.7g. I added a carbon horizontal stabilizer fin and my tail actually ended up slightly lighter. Take that bling haters, lol.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

RichKnapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nelsonism thanks for the measurements. That's the best way to answer this question. Saved me from just buying half of what I needed. Def mucho thanks guys for replying.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like I will also follow suit as I have just replaced my stock slider as I wanted to get rid of the slop. The new stock slider is basically then same as the old one ! Lever and slider will certainly be on next order.
MrCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Lynx slider has started to develop some slop as well, but no where near the slop the stock part had.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in