Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK OK... this is called a FAILURE to communicate

Lets get back on track! Post your vids of challenge #2 and lets discuss them

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Lets get back on track! Post your vids of challenge #2 and lets discuss them

Bob
I watched your video Bob, and the other one. Are you supposed to stop at the corners? And hover there for a bit or just turn and continue? Also, I know it's the 250, but should it be a little slower or faster? Stupid 250... hard to fly slow with that one

I may end up having to do these in the warehouse so it might be the 250 for me too. Snow on the ground here now
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Count me in!

I'll post up for myself, and for me mate Stewart! We have a Fun Fly this weekend, so maybe on Tuesday we can shoot it! I guess I'll have to move out of the back yard on this one!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Maybe we can do something on sat Jay. Let's bring cones or something and get a bunch of people to fly the "course" I'll bring my camera
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good plan buddy, I have a couple of cones, we just need two more!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok I braved the cold again today to give this one more shot. I hope we don't have to be perfect in our execution because if we do I'll probably fail. Here's the best two attempts from a 5 minute flight and the best I could do. I have lots of work to do before the entire box is flown perfectly.
I have learned my depth perception is terrible once the heli gets a little ways from me. Cones may have helped but I don't think so. I could hardly tell if I was going in a straight line or not when moving left/right and vice versa.
Again I apologize for the poor video. It's from a 8.00 keycam turned into a hatcam.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J6EYWmJxDQ[/ame]
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
Ok I braved the cold again today to give this one more shot. I hope we don't have to be perfect in our execution because if we do I'll probably fail. Here's the best two attempts from a 5 minute flight and the best I could do. I have lots of work to do before the entire box is flown perfectly.
I have learned my depth perception is terrible once the heli gets a little ways from me. Cones may have helped but I don't think so. I could hardly tell if I was going in a straight line or not when moving left/right and vice versa.
Again I apologize for the poor video. It's from a 8.00 keycam turned into a hatcam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J6EYWmJxDQ
looks great larry, wish me luck for tomorrow, i hope i don't prove my self wrong about how easy this is going to be ....

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Nice job Larry..... Only input is it seemed your box on the right side did not go over far to your right? The box on both sides of you should be about the same distance away from you. You right side seemed more directly in front of you? At least in relation to the take off board? Maybe it was your camera mans angle?

Bob
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No your right. I was using my landing board as the first corner so I should have stood farther to the right for lift off. Camera man was me, using a keychain cam as a hatcam. Oh well, I guess there will be a Take 3 in a day or two if we get some better weather.
I'll get it right sooner or later. Third times a charm. Right?

Good luck danny.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a CP heli in flying condition at the moment and most likely won't this season. Anyway in the spirit of the challenge I'll fly my "cheater" SR 120 and do what I can and not cheat on the skills needed until the 120 is incapable of performing the challenge.

Now I have to tell you that up untill a week ago I could not hover nose in. It hasen't "clicked" just yet, but it is getting easier day by day. I even did a tiny bit of backward flight. The whole nose in thing has baffeled me since I started and I avoided it at all costs. Actually it "cost" me more in all the crashes because I couldn't nose in. Come spring I'll be a true "Heli Freak"....... or something like that Did I mention my first heli was an American Revolution OOPS, I dated my self

Great Challenge series so far Mr. Finless
kenh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #31 (permalink)

Me, Jay, and Stuart made recordings today at the Mulberry funfly in FL. Had a great time. Here's my submission. I did some inverted at the end for fun, but I rushed it a bit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPAQqlXPBWU[/ame]
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow what a great day we had today over in Mulberry!

It was an inverse day, it started windy and got better as the day went on!

Here Stewart's video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1NT9GOWzM[/ame]

And Mine

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Hnd7ZXdZw[/ame]

Thanks for shooting and editing them Russ!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Off topic sorry but did anyone else think that "not that kind of backwards but ok" in finless's video sounded like Bruce Campbell?
Fuzzy Toaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob, is it just me or are people misunderstanding your challenge? Do you just want to see people flying the box both clockwise and counterclockwise, or did you mean forwards and backwards flight? Maybe the voice in the video is what is throwing people off. Although I only have a Blade SR flying for now, this is exactly the stuff I work on flying in a desserted parking lot. Thanks for your time Bob.
kickbackkid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK we are at post 35, and including Bob 5 people have posted videos? I think the misunderstanding is... Stop telling people they are doing it wrong, and post your video of "you" doing it right?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So challenge #2 is flying the box both directions
I'm pretty sure Bob means fly the box clockwise and counterclockwise in FF.

Remember these challenges started as a way to cover the basic orientations we should all have and this is only step 2. I think reverse flight will be a bit higher up the list.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #37 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Correct, forward flight only. One way CW, then CCW. I'd have a video up already but my heli is still down. Mine will be far from perfect, but I'm going to post it anyway.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yea it's just FF around both ways. This is only challenge #2 of the basics. But Jay, Stuart, and Russ are clearly way ahead of the game with backwards, inverted, etc. Those come later. Obviously at their level my simple #2 challenge was too boring for them Good job guys! See you at like challenge #10

Bob
Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post
Me, Jay, and Stuart made recordings today at the Mulberry funfly in FL. Had a great time. Here's my submission. I did some inverted at the end for fun, but I rushed it a bit.
Show Off! But very good. Thanks for sharing.
Grok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob, I flew after Russ, and figured I would stick more to the letter of the challenge. Russ has worked very hard to get as good as he is! I think he has earned the right to show his abilities, it gives us all motivation to get better, don't you think?

Again challenges are kind of personal, fly this challenge to within your abilities! Use them to help identify weak areas, and strive to make them stronger.

Having a Mentor, or someone who can help show the way to improvement is fundamental to getting better!
We should all use Russ as an example of what we can do, if we take the time to learn things the right way.
Since I started flying at his home field, I have had to go back and unlearn a bunch of bad that I have learned, and start truly learning the basics. This regression is paying off big time, I only wish I had started sooner, because unlearning something sure seems harder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in