Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Scorpion ESC and Motor Support

Scorpion ESC and Motor Support Scorpion Power Systems ESC and Motor Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Scorpion Backup Guard

no issue.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk2...otherwise i would of sent it from my home PC.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool thanks., im gonna be using this on an AJ Slick. that align is pretty smooth.
wedoitall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

internal bec with align ?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk2...otherwise i would of sent it from my home PC.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using a 70A align esc w/ the built-in BEC and Scorpion BUG on my 550 without any trouble. I follow the recommended protocol of turning the BUG on last, and turning it off first.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sv: Scorpion Backup Guard

Yes the backup guard must be powered on as the last device in your setup, and powered off as the first. :-)
RasmusDK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

its not a must but can be done either way without hurting anything.

just will discharge faster

Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea with internal bec. also will be using telemetry so I guess theres no problems with that either?

I usually run separate bec but I had this laying around and thought it may actually be better.
wedoitall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKoren View Post
I forgot to mention that I spoke with Inovative Designs the US distributor for Scorpion Products and they confirmed that the Backup Guard will not properly power all HV full size servos like the JR8717HV which is on my G770. They even mentioned that a HV version of the Backup Guard may be on the horizon.
I actually expected this since JR also sells specific Wide Voltage servos that work from 4.8 to 8.4V instead of the HV servos that need 6V minimum.
So is there any news about a HV backup guard?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadew View Post
OK here is what I did. I made a charge cable from the ec3 to balance connector on my parallel charge board. The iCharger shows 2s connected through the balance port and correct voltage through the main charge leads. This should allow me to balance charge the Backup Guard.
I'm planning to buy one for my next project (Goblin 500), and I have some questions:

a) with your charge cable, basically you are just shooting back the charging power into the parallel adapter's balancing circuit, correct? Will this not harm the board and/or the charger (I have iCharger 206B)?

b) is there any specific reason why you chose to use the 6S balancing plug instead of the 3,4 or 5?

c) can I normally leave the Guard plugged into the FBL unit and just switch it off on? (I assume this is one of the uses of the switch).
Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion Backup Guard

I just ordered one of these... Should allow me to charge the scoprion through the balance plug and keeps my main charger free

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ger_2S_3S.html
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Charge Adapter

If I didn't already have a Cellpro 4 that charges through the balance plug, I would just get the charge adapter that Innov8tive sells and not risk wiring my own the wrong way: http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...fb2cd5c86190f4
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
I'm planning to buy one for my next project (Goblin 500), and I have some questions:

a) with your charge cable, basically you are just shooting back the charging power into the parallel adapter's balancing circuit, correct? Will this not harm the board and/or the charger (I have iCharger 206B)?

b) is there any specific reason why you chose to use the 6S balancing plug instead of the 3,4 or 5?

c) can I normally leave the Guard plugged into the FBL unit and just switch it off on? (I assume this is one of the uses of the switch).
Yes. I am just using the parallel board as a male to male extension for the balance connectors. I don't see that it would do any damage to the parallel board since there isn't that many amps going through it. It has been working just fine on my I charger 3010.
The only reason I used the 6s plug is because that is what I had on hand. Any of the balance plugs should work just fine.
I leave mine plugged it and use the switch to power on the electronics, but I always remove it for charging and storage. Almost every lipo fire I have heard of other than a crash was with the battery installed in the aircraft while charging.
The premade charging cable is nice, but wasn't available last August when I got mine. Scorpion sent it to me when they replaced my ESC. It wasn't even on their site yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
chadew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

DannyG I have not heard any news or updates from Scorpion about a Back Up Guard that will accommodate HV servos. I'm hoping something like this will come soon, It's a great idea and would likely save some helicopters from hard crashes.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion Backup Guard

Thankfully I've tested mine and the HV servos will operate on 5v for me.

I would love one that provides user selectable voltage. Perhaps 5-7.4v... Also it's worth pointing out that It's good to have a little lower voltage if you are using telemetry as you can use the lower voltage to set off an alarm.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you cbarge through the balance port alone? Or do you need a charge lead?
emederos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

I charge mine from an Eflight 130X 2s charger, works sweet.
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by emederos View Post
Can you cbarge through the balance port alone? Or do you need a charge lead?
That's depending on your charger. If it can do it, it can do it.
If it can't, you need to build something like in pist #17 or buy the adapter like in post #90.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadew View Post
Yes. I am just using the parallel board as a male to male extension for the balance connectors. I don't see that it would do any damage to the parallel board since there isn't that many amps going through it. It has been working just fine on my I charger 3010.
The only reason I used the 6s plug is because that is what I had on hand. Any of the balance plugs should work just fine.
I leave mine plugged it and use the switch to power on the electronics, but I always remove it for charging and storage. Almost every lipo fire I have heard of other than a crash was with the battery installed in the aircraft while charging.
The premade charging cable is nice, but wasn't available last August when I got mine. Scorpion sent it to me when they replaced my ESC. It wasn't even on their site yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Chad,

Thanks for posting your way with a great pic!! I was in the same boat...had the guard but no way to charge, so it sat until I ran across Mr. Mels vid. Made the cable he described but I could not get it to work using my icharger 306B. Ran across this thread about a hour ago. I had a spare parallel board, balancing plug/cable and deans connector. Two solder joints and I'm cooking with grease!! I'm mounting it to my heli now : )
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I won a Scorpion gift certificate at a local fun fly a while back so I just bought two of these BUGs. If I can figure out the charging thing I'll be putting one on a Logo 550sx and either sell the other or put it on a 450 - I'm concerned about the weight though. Thought about keeping one for my next heli, but that will likely be an HV 700 build which, as has been established, won't work.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's not worth the weight on a 450, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in