Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Uber Nubbie first flight question

Howdy folks,

New to RC Heli and since picking up the coaxial Blade E-Flite around Christmas, I'm hooked!

So I upgraded to the mCPx and DX4e. I have been training on the Phoenix simulator and told myself time to try to hover. Too fun. But questions came up.

I notice that even though I return the cyclic to the center position, the heli does not center up. Meaning, that in order for the heli to return to center, I need to move the cyclic in opposite direction as I had last positioned it.

Is this right? If the cyclic is centered, the heli ignores it and will continue with the last issued command.

Thanks in advance
3D
DDDEngr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. That's what Collective Pitch Helis do.

Center stick won't correct into center. You have to carefully overcorrect to get it back to center flight and then overcorrect again when it goes the other way.

Consider flying a CP heli like balancing a marble on an upside down bowl. You will constantly be correcting your flight.

If I can give you a piece of advice, get a much better Transmitter. The DX4e is marginal at best. Look at investing in a DX6 at least if you are passionate about this hobby. It will make a world of difference in your enjoyment. A+ on practicing on a Sim!!! That alone means you are hooked!!
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, what Dr. Ron says.

Further to that, tips I would give you is to learn to anticipate the corrections and be proactive rather than reactive. Once the heli is moving in a direction, you need to be counteracting that direction and it will take a moment before the new input changes the direction of the heli. Anticipate that once it "catches" and the direction changes, you'll need to be entering a new input immediately again. Being reactive will only create a counter-correction nightmare.

Also, continuous small inputs are the key, rather than less frequent big inputs.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
Further to that, tips I would give you is to learn to anticipate the corrections and be proactive rather than reactive.
That is brilliant advice!!!
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Probably one of the most useful sites to me for general information (this site is the best for specific inquiries) when I was getting started was rchelicopterfun.com.
Many if not most of your earliest questions are answered there and in great detail.

Besides, of course, the excellent advice you got in your first responses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
hoblium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello and welcome to Helifreak.

A little reading you may find helpful.

Flying MCPX for Newbies.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=447286

Hovering for beginners
Although this document was written with Nano in mind, the information is directly transferable to any helicopter large or small.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...58#post5581658

This is a link to.
MCPX setup service and flying links for newbies
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=506789

Hope this helps you.
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

First of all the heli is in charge and you react to it, sometimes quite slowly, and in that gap the heli gets out of shape, sometimes very out of shape, up to and including a crash.

After a while you start to anticipate what the heli will do, and get in most of the control input you need early, minimising how far out of the shape heli gets.

After an even longer while, even longer than this post is rambling on for, the heli stops being in charge and you start pushing it around where YOU want it to go, and it never gets out of shape. That's the theory anyway.

The only way to step 3 is to fly.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in