Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Flight Controllers (NAZA, Wookong, A2, etc...) > DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM) DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help setting up my (old) DX7 to NAZA

Hello, I'm having a ton of trouble trying to figure out my settings. I have a hex (GAUI 540) with a NAZ A M Lite w/GPS and an AR8000 rx with sat., can someone send me a link to set this up on my DX7, I've tried in heli mode, but not sure. I want to fly it instead of letting it go due to frustration. Thanks
reALIGNed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use heli mode with flat pitch curves for flight mode easily how to video below, but sounds like you don't want to do that for some reason.

Does dx7 have 3 position switch for ioc? You'll need that for setting home position etc anyway. Might be better to just upgrade to a modern tx.

DJI Phantom or Naza V2 setup DX8 Spektrum Transmitter including bind failsafe test in 7 mins (7 min 26 sec)
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have it in heli mode, but I'm having problems with lifting off, check out my "beginning". I'm at a loss and don't know what else to do. Was wondering if acro mode would make a diff. vs heli.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=653182
Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unless you're flying a variable pitch 3D sort of quad, most are set up in acro mode.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can select flight modes correctly then tx setup is not the issue. You can check this by led flashes, green for gps, yellow for atti nothing for manual, excluding red flashes for gps status obviously.

Your lift off prob where 4 motors spool up 2 do not is pretty conclusively an esc calibration issue.

You need to accurately calibrate escs to 1000ms 2000ms for the naza to work, sounds like you havent done this, I use a servo tester with 1000-2000range and a multiway harness, its essential to calibrate all to identical pulse widths, personally I do this with a harness as its quick and easy and you guaranteeall are set the same.

Unless you have a pulse meter to setup atv on tx to give 1000-2000ms before calibrating esc I wouldnt try this through tx/rx.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I have all three flight modes, I verified this on the assistant and watching the led change colors indicating mode. I did not calibrate the esc's at the same time, I did them individually, and wondered if they were they exact same. I'll build a harness and try again. Thank you very much.

Last edited by reALIGNed; 10-27-2014 at 08:49 PM..
Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb72 View Post
If you can select flight modes correctly then tx setup is not the issue. You can check this by led flashes, green for gps, yellow for atti nothing for manual, excluding red flashes for gps status obviously.

Your lift off prob where 4 motors spool up 2 do not is pretty conclusively an esc calibration issue.

You need to accurately calibrate escs to 1000ms 2000ms for the naza to work, sounds like you havent done this, I use a servo tester with 1000-2000range and a multiway harness, its essential to calibrate all to identical pulse widths, personally I do this with a harness as its quick and easy and you guaranteeall are set the same.

Unless you have a pulse meter to setup atv on tx to give 1000-2000ms before calibrating esc I wouldnt try this through tx/rx.
Can you recommend a servo tester I can purchase for this job?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a few servo testers see video below, most would do the job :-)

Quicktip servo tester demo - multirotor naza esc setup and calibration testing servos quick and easy (6 min 26 sec)

If you have a 6 way harness or buy two hobbyking 5 way and plug one into the other you can use any tester with pulse width display, I really like the $18 turnigy tester, as it has a 1000-2000 mode which makes calibrating esc for naza a snap, also measures pulse width and has detailed test features so well worth the money.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm back (again)

Hi guys, I'm back to conquer this hexocopter of mine (since I cannot sell it). Today, I FINALLY got around to make a calibration harness for the esc's. It seems to work like a charm, now all six motors spool up at the same time.
So I'm ready for another attempt at a maiden flight, (its too cold outside, minus 2 degrees F and snow and wind) but I have another concern. When I put in my values for the compass (XYZ), I remember seeing a video (below) showing that the "Z" value should be a negative number even though the compass is mounted on top, so I have mine set to -9cm. Is this correct or should it be at +9cm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WgEcoDRL3o

Last edited by reALIGNed; 01-04-2015 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: added video
Old 01-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reALIGNed View Post
Hi guys, I'm back to conquer this hexocopter of mine (since I cannot sell it). Today, I FINALLY got around to make a calibration harness for the esc's. It seems to work like a charm, now all six motors spool up at the same time.
So I'm ready for another attempt at a maiden flight, (its too cold outside, minus 2 degrees F and snow and wind) but I have another concern. When I put in my values for the compass (XYZ), I remember seeing a video (below) showing that the "Z" value should be a negative number even though the compass is mounted on top, so I have mine set to -9cm. Is this correct or should it be at +9cm?

DJI Naza-M GPS Mounting, Setup & Calibration - YouTube
Hey, good to see you on. Happy New year! The assistant software has a little orientation diagram. If memory serves me well, I believe you have it right, but I'd double check as my head has holes in it. Think of it as being the position of the controller measured from the compass, not the compass measured from the controller. Then it makes more sense.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, happy New year to you too. I got the itch again to fly this rig. I was able to gather some time and cash to make the harness and now I'm going all the way. Thanks for the help once again, wish I had your weather
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

As soon as I get a break in the weather, I'm going to test it out...........and I'll post back with the results.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Cool, happy New year to you too. I got the itch again to fly this rig. I was able to gather some time and cash to make the harness and now I'm going all the way. Thanks for the help once again, wish I had your weather
Hang in there man... never, ever give up I say! That's what's kept me alive I think this last couple years. (Well, that and great wife and a bit of good luck. ) Careful what you wish for in he weather dept. though - we had a cold front ('shear line' in touristese - the word 'cold' isn't allowed in the TV weather segments here. ) come through with 60 mph winds a couple days ago that left plenty people with no power. Some still have no power yet. The winds on top of our tallest mountain were clocked at 155mph! Nutz! And, it dropped to 58 degrees at my house! So actually, I think we need a pity party!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

155 mph winds..........that's insane. Looks like this Friday night is the maiden, I have access (for one evening) to a gymnasium at the town school. I've decided to keep this hex and make it happen, no matter what.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
I've decided to keep this hex and make it happen, no matter what.
That's the spirit!!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 01-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default UPDATE

Did the maiden in the gym tonight,....not good at all,........................, idled fine, all six props spinning the same, as I increased throttle, it violently flipped to the left (just like the last time) and landed upside down and broke two props.
All fixed with new parts, and upon spooling up on the bench I held it in my hands at arms reach @ 1/3 throttle, this is what I discovered, while holding it tail towards me, if I tilt it to the left (left side lower than the right) the right side motors increase in rpm and if I tilt the right side down, the left motors increase. Is something 180* off, shouldn't the lower motors increase rpms to attempt to raise that side to a level hover?
And if I tilt the front end down, you can feel the front motors increase, and upon tilting the rear down, the rear motors increase speed indicating a normal situation.
This flight was attempted indoors in gps mode, and I double checked the aileron control settings in the NAZA.

So, so lost (again)

Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
..... while holding it tail towards me, if I tilt it to the left (left side lower than the right) the right side motors increase in rpm and if I tilt the right side down, the left motors increase. Is something 180* off, shouldn't the lower motors increase rpms to attempt to raise that side to a level hover?
And if I tilt the front end down, you can feel the front motors increase, and upon tilting the rear down, the rear motors increase speed indicating a normal situation.
This flight was attempted indoors in gps mode, and I double checked the aileron control settings in the NAZA.

So, so lost (again)

I think you're close, because this malbehavior has an identifiable cause! Your roll(aileron) is indeed correct. When you roll one way, the motors on the opposite side should increase rpm, just as you noted. But, I think your pitch (elevator channel) is backward, in which case you can either reverse it in the Naza or your TX. When you pitch the nose down, the rear motors should speed up and vice versa when you pitch the nose up. I can't guarantee this'll get you flying, but I know it'll make your chances much better!

One other thing, if you're flying inside, you probably don't have a usable GPS signal. If not, it's best not to fly in the GPS mode - just stick with 'Atti'.

I think you're close man!!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
I think you're close, because this malbehavior has an identifiable cause! Your roll(aileron) is indeed correct. When you roll one way, the motors on the opposite side should increase rpm, just as you noted. But, I think your pitch (elevator channel) is backward, in which case you can either reverse it in the Naza or your TX. When you pitch the nose down, the rear motors should speed up and vice versa when you pitch the nose up. I can't guarantee this'll get you flying, but I know it'll make your chances much better!

One other thing, if you're flying inside, you probably don't have a usable GPS signal. If not, it's best not to fly in the GPS mode - just stick with 'Atti'.

I think you're close man!!
Is "roll" the same as aileron and "pitch" is control of the nose up or down? If so, I think you may have misread my situation. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like the roll control is backwards by 180* and the pitch is fine. Also, when I was doing this bench test (by myself), I was not giving any input from the tx, I was only holding it and gently tilting it and could feel the power transfer. The more I would tilt it the more power the NAZA would apply.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm late to this party but have you calibrated the IMU?
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes I have and I did the compass dance prior to lift off too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in