Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Need Help Improving Roll Technique

I am trying to really improve my roll technique. The rolls are pretty axial, however, I lose altitude as I exit from inverted. I am not sure what is wrong in my timing and collective management. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have tried making it a two-point roll as well - going from upright to inverted and stopping and then continuing the roll back to upright. Everything is solid from upright to inverted with no change in altitude. It is only when I roll back to upright that I lose altitude.
Futaba 14SG / AMA# 959345 / IRCHA #3954
aramb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're too quick to go back to positive pitch. Really good heli flying comes with really good left stick skills. Watch a really good pilot and a "wild" pilot and it will mostly all come down to the left stick. (mode 2)

I always tell people I teach to pay twice the attention to the collective as you do the cyclic. It will give you much better results, maneuvers will look better and fly alot better, and you will learn how to fly the helicopter, rather than it flying you around.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks. I figured it was a collective issue, but I wasn't quite sure what was off. I have been working on making my flying more technical and precise and you are right - its all about collective management.
Futaba 14SG / AMA# 959345 / IRCHA #3954
aramb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have a sim? If you do, the best way to work on collective management is to fly something small, and at *slightly* higher sim speeds.
I only use Realflight, and normally I fly the Gaui X5 or even a 450, and at 110-115% sim speed. If you don't nail the collective and miss a beat here or there, the bird falls out of the sky. Then moving on to a bigger or even real life bird becomes much easier to manage.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah...it's all about collective management. Just ask Stalin...wait! Oops, wrong post!
;-)
Cereasly, gitbse is spot on!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are many ways to learn good collective. For me the easiest was to practice small rainbows side to side and forward and back. Using different amounts of positive until it was flat inverted before adding negative and vice versa. It really showed down my movements in the beginning. I'm sure others can give some good ways also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in