Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Worth it to learn BLHeli?

Hi all. I just recently got a nice little PNP brushless kit from Dylan with the oversky ESC. Is it worth my time to try and learn BLHeli? I read the 40+ page thread on RC Groups and have no idea what I read.

I know I'd need some sort of interface but I couldn't even figure out what from reading that thread.

Thanks!
SLMcc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...flashing-stick

That and download the latest software.

What kind of mcpx you building? Specs of motor, batteries and goals will help, if you have them yet
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nothing fancy, just an AEO M5 motor and Oversky PNP ESC from Dylan. I'm sure it already has the latest version on it. It's going in a new stock frame. I just sport fly and this is my first brushless so i didn't want anything crazy.

I probably should have been a little more clear. After reading the BLHeli thread on RCGroups I am completely lost. Its all technical stuff and i guess I more wondered if it is important to know or if I should just forget it and enjoy flying.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly the 13,500 M5 in one of my relaxing mcpx's with the same esc direct soldered. It comes with a really old version set to gov tx so you need to use flat throttle curves if you don't flash it right away. It will run just fine like this if your not doing much 3d.

What tail are you going to use with it? On a M5 setup you want to keep it light and it will way outperform the stock setup. Mine is 1-2 g lighter than a stock mcpx and I run the twin 6mm tail on extended boom at that.

What batteries do you have?

Here is a terrible full of crashes lazy flight on mine flashed gov setup 5200 rpms (havent tached it just going by blheli settings) its a great lil heli, if I need more power i break out the hp05 birds.

Mcpx m5 street beating (3 min 6 sec)
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool video. All I do is fly out and back or in circles in the back yard. I hit a tree Sunday. Got it stuck about 35 or 40 feet up in an Oak tree. One stupid limb sticking out. I threw a ball at it for an HOUR. I got the canopy and mounting pins down. Then the landing gear and battery. But the important parts wouldn't budge. Finally had to tie a weight on a thin rope and throw that over the branch and shake the snot out of it to get it out. Seriously strained some muscles in my back and could barely move Monday. Still hurts like crazy if I move wrong.

I'm going to put a 7mm Oversky tail motor on the extended boom in an Extreme motor mount with Rakonheli blade.

I'm currently flying 4 factory batts and two Tenergy. I have some new in bag Tenergy's and 2 Glaciers. And a couple Peak Power I bought on a whim when you could order from BG.

I really didn't expect to see that much power from this motor!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way that's an interesting tail setup you're running! I've never seen that before!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha I got my 130 stuck bad in a tree. Thank god you can bypass soft start with those I kept turning it on over and over till it freed itself. Killed the main gear but I got the heli back!

I tried the 7mm tail and have better results with twin 6mm using the astroid designs delrin mount. All tho they say the oversky 7mm is the best I've only tested the xtreme one.

For this setup it is friendly on batteries. Hyperian 250's work great, the 45c 300mAh nanotec batteries are really sweet!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Extreme 7mm mount and motor on my Nano. It has the stock brushed main motor in it. Let's just say I'm not impressed with the Extreme motor. That's why I got the Oversky one. It's GOT to be better if you know what I mean!

Is that the dual inline mount? I saw those, didn't really know what it was. I just guessed you put both motors in the same way and left one stick out farther than the other so the blades didn't hit each other.

I've read the Hyperion and Nano's are the best batts. I'll eventually have to get some I guess. I like new toys!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMcc View Post
I have the Extreme 7mm mount and motor on my Nano. It has the stock brushed main motor in it. Let's just say I'm not impressed with the Extreme motor. That's why I got the Oversky one. It's GOT to be better if you know what I mean!

Is that the dual inline mount? I saw those, didn't really know what it was. I just guessed you put both motors in the same way and left one stick out farther than the other so the blades didn't hit each other.

I've read the Hyperion and Nano's are the best batts. I'll eventually have to get some I guess. I like new toys!
It's the dual inline one, you put one motor in facing right with the prop on normal and the other facing left with the prop on backwards then you wire them backwards polarity to each other and then parallel to the 3n1 and plug in the correct direction to get correct tail compensation. Doesn't offer a ton of thrust but it's stronger than one 6mm and pretty light. My hp05 helis run the 120sr with rrc prop on a super short boom and there is no way to blow the tail out no matter how bad you bog it! But they are heavy.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you ever tried a brushless tail?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, I try to keep my mcpx on the cheap end. I have 2 hp05/120sr setups in microheli frames and the 1 m5/twin 6mm setup. The hp05 isn't powerful enough in my opinion to need anything more than the 120sr with rrc prop, it holds fast backwards inverted clockwise in heavy winds which is a brutal test and it holds doing tic tocs.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nick, how short is your tail boom on your HP05 bird? I just took my AEO motor out and put a HP05 in with SR120 tail and RRC prop. My tail boom is longer than stock but a bit shorter than a factory extended boom. It's pretty tail heavy with normal size 250 or 300 MaH batteries. With a Hyperion 550 it's much more balanced but still a bit tail heavy.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail boom length for a SR120 motor set-up should be 130mm.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got some trimming to do. Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in