Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Accidently hit throttle hold

So I accidently hit throttle hold I switched it back almost immediatly but didnt regain power intime to save it, I also failed at my first autorotation. The crash could have been worse, my question is is there something i can do with setup that wouldn't end the same way DX9, Ikon, hobby wing platinum pro 50 any help with setup would be helpful

Thanks
Lofti7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which switch did you assign to TH? Maybe assign to a different switch?

You can disable TH, but that's not really advisable.
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

TH is the top right switch,Its probably the standard spot, i guess im asking if i can setup TH differently so that I could have regained control, or should i suck it up and watch my fat hands?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL, yeah you may have to just suck it up. TH is TH no matter how you slice it.

The only thought I have is if you hit TH and you are in IU, and then disengage TH, you will spin up, but if you crash anyway, it will cause A LOT more damage. Autos FTW!
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

no IU for me I'm going to go practice autos now.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure what functions your hobby wing platinum pro 50 has, but I use Castle Talon 90 and like most Castle ESC’s you can set it up to kick back in very quickly. Auto-Rotation bailout.

It has a scale of 0 – 20 in terms of how quickly it kicks back in, 0 being the slowest and 20 being fast. You want it to kick in quick but not so quick that the blades folds on you. I use 17 for my setup.

To be honest you don’t need to change anything, as you will get used to it and you will not click it by accident.

I have done it by accident before when I first started, but after a while you will build up muscle memory and you only hit it when you need it.

I had to use the TH today. I was doing rainbows too close to the ground on my T-Rex 250 and when it went wrong and I saw I could not rescue it, I hit TH and crashed it. Since I was so quick on the TH, I did not break anything I did not even pop a link. I have never seen a 250 crash like that and not break something. I was lucky.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks Ill get better, I almost autorotated to almost save my heli , Im pretty happy at how close I was to saving it.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did my first Auto-Rotation some weeks ago. I came so close on my first attempt, the approach, speed, angle etc was correct but the wind hit the blade in the wrong angle at the last moments, it fell from about 5 feet high and 2 feet in front of me that I only broke a blade. I was very pleased at my first attempt.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive been practicing on the sim for a bit, and cutting throttle and dropping IRL but only from a few feet this was the first time ive had to do it under pressure. I could have done better thats for sure but the warp is a very sturdy bird and took the crash like as champ.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are doing Auto’s on a Warp 360, that is a small heli isn’t it? About 320mm blades?

I am doing it on a T-Rex 550 with 520mm blades and people think I am mad, most people do it with a 700 size heli as they have a lot more energy in the blades. The bigger heli’s are very forgiving. I have seen people do Auto’s on the 250, but these people know what they are doing. With small heli’s you only get one chance and you get it wrong and you are picking up your heli in bits.

I can land 9 times out of 10 on the sim but in real life, now that's a whole different ball game.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

360mm blades and not real autos, just cutting power from 10 ft up and feathering down, and with my 250 its not even an option.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocool4 View Post
You are doing Auto’s on a Warp 360, that is a small heli isn’t it? About 320mm blades?

I am doing it on a T-Rex 550 with 520mm blades and people think I am mad, most people do it with a 700 size heli as they have a lot more energy in the blades. The bigger heli’s are very forgiving. I have seen people do Auto’s on the 250, but these people know what they are doing. With small heli’s you only get one chance and you get it wrong and you are picking up your heli in bits.

I can land 9 times out of 10 on the sim but in real life, now that's a whole different ball game.
When you start doing autos it's always nerve racking.

I autoed both my X5 and 700 from 30+ft on Sunday. Intentionally. Both landed perfect (side on landings too). The 700 has distinct hang time in comparison to the X5.

With autos, the best I have found is practice 1000's of times in the sim, then just go for it IRL. No bailout, no backout. Line up a couple practice runs with power on, then switch it off and fly it in. (I assume you have been landing with min-autos from a few feet for months by this time and can comfortably land in any orientation).

I found when you first start autos, it feels like the heli drops like a rock (emphasis on feel) as you are usually not used to that rate of descent. With practice, you do get used to it an know how to compensate. My X5 feels like it comes in pretty hot, so I can only imagine what a Warp360 is like (probably like Bert Kammerer auto on a Blade 450X video - watch the speed at which it comes in).

The biggest issue I have with autos is not the flare or speed, but aim. Landing it where I want (so I can accurately guage ground level) is the trickiest part. Wonder if this is easier for plank fliers as they are more used to planning approaches, where as us heli only fliers are used to being able to plonk down almost anywhere.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
When you start doing autos it's always nerve racking.
I do baby auto’s all the time now, never land under power and you are correct proper auto’s are nerve racking. I can’t wait till I can do proper auto’s all the time without worrying about it. I can see why people love it, you get such a rush from doing it.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're using the iKon gov set up the auto bail out. Check the MSH brain forum for some how to videos.

Some will call it cheating or whatever,but I'd rather flip a switch and try again than rebuild and try again.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do have bailout setup, it has saved me already. but hitting TH on accident the only thing i could have done was succesfully auto it down the motor just didnt power back up in time and my skills under pressure are lacking.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Warp is really hard to auto because it doesn't have a constant driven tail. I auto mine every landing but never more than from about 3 or 4 feet up. One little mistake and you have no tail authority.
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedRaptor77 View Post
The Warp is really hard to auto because it doesn't have a constant driven tail. I auto mine every landing but never more than from about 3 or 4 feet up. One little mistake and you have no tail authority.
In autoing a Warp, one mistake and you can lose all authority (head, tail, the lot). It's called blade stop and it is often fatal unless done at significant height (and you know what you are doing and the heli is well balanced).

Full autoing can be done, but it's not for the feint of heart. Think of it as like trying to auto an elevator with it's cable cut (it's not that bad, but it will be dropping like a heli shaped rock for most of the descent).
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

well I have almost no idea what Im doing! i was trying for a save! it was a helicopter shaped brick. but i kept it blades up and hopefully learned a few things.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofti7 View Post
I do have bailout setup, it has saved me already. but hitting TH on accident the only thing i could have done was succesfully auto it down the motor just didnt power back up in time and my skills under pressure are lacking.
I'm not talking about the self level, but the auto rotation bail out. If you are using the iKon gov you can set it to spool up faster when you flip out of TH, there is a 'bail out ramp' setting to get out of a bad auto attempt. Check the forum to set it up, no reason not to use it! Most ESC have this feature as well if you don't use the ikon internal gov. Just be sure you test it with blades off and make sure you understand how to disarm it if the timer hasn't run out yet after you land by changing flight modes on the ground.
AlarmedBread is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofti7 View Post
Ive been practicing on the sim for a bit, and cutting throttle and dropping IRL but only from a few feet this was the first time ive had to do it under pressure. I could have done better thats for sure but the warp is a very sturdy bird and took the crash like as champ.
Don't know what sim you have, but i have the Pheonix, and it has an auto trainer. It's proven cery useful as a few weekends ago i forgot to set my timer and ran out of juice. I didn't have what you'd call a perfect landing, but a one bounce in the grass was good enough for zero damage. Just practice more on the sim from varying heights and distances...

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in