Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 10j vs. 10chg

I've been using a 10chg for a couple years. I just bought a 10j so I would have telemetry and sbus(which I don't really need).
The 10j feels cheap and light. The throttle has clicks as it goes up. The pitch and throttle sceen has only 5 zones. chg has 7. 10j screen is like my DX7. chg is big and readable.
I believe they made the 10j for the entry level multicopter market.
I believe I've made a mistake going to all this trouble just to have real time telemetry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes u made a big step back. id sell both and get the 14sg. i love my 14sg its everything anyone really needs.
nappyroots2182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
get a 14SG
RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've got a few things I could sell to justify another Tx. Ya that 10chg feels like the real deal. Just this morning I was holding it and longing for its modulated emissions.

I wonder what I could realistically expect to ask for a used 10chg, a 10J with Rx, and a new in the box unopened Kontronik helijive 120hv. Individually. Like would I get enough to pay the 5-600 dollars for a new 14sg?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should be aware that the 10c transmitters has only 8 channels to run servos and two additional on-off channels. Also the 10c is Futaba’s oldest transmitter design. It has no upgrade capability (no firmware upgraqdes possible) and does not have a modern menu structure like all the newer Futaba radio. In my opinion the 10c an obsolete design and way overpriced for what you get.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That being said .......I see some people have paid 150-200 for used ones. Maybe I can get more or less for the 10j. The helijive new is still fetching 425-500. Maybe I'll get 200 new unopened in box.
I'll be posting them on ebay and forums soon. I want the 14sg.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhour View Post
The throttle has clicks as it goes up.
You should be able to open the radio up and remove the ratcheting.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

love my 14sg. it replaced my jr 11x and aurora 9x. ive seen 10chg sell for $250ish fairly easy. if you sold both radios youd be close. maybe if you have a local hobby shop they can help you on the price of the 14sg. i got $100 off mine. it can do everything both of your radios put together can do. most of all i love the way it feels in my hands. my fingers just fall right into the switches. thats a big deal for me on any radio i get
Old 01-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was a bit disappointed to see the pitch and throttle screen are 5 point. Unless you can select the distance the different points cover. Example.....Like point one to point two covers 0-1.5, point two 1.5 to 25.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
+1
get a 14SG
+2

I also moved from 10C to 14SGA.

Other than the logic switches, 7 point curves (which i never needed), bigger screen and faster navigation with the little joystick - the 14 is superior in every possible way.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Futaba web site says the pitch and throttle are 5 point. As I asked before I wonder if the distance between the curves are changeable. The 10j is 5 point, equally spaced and not changeable. My 10chg is changeable between each point. Or you can delete all but the first and last point.
I see the new 14sg is sold with the r7008sb receiver. Is there a difference between the r3008sb(10j) and the r7008sb. Read, do I also need to buy the r7008sg?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just looked on my radio and cant see a way to add more then the 5 points it has. i never needed more then that but dont let it sway your decision. i wonder if anyone in your area has a 14sg that you can check out in person. i asked my LHS if she could return it if i didnt want it once it got to the store. when it arrived i spent some time messing with it. havnt looked back.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
You should be able to open the radio up and remove the ratcheting.
Yes, its easy to do. When I bought mine the SGH was out of stock so I got an SGA and modded it. You just open the case and then either flip the ratchet upside down, or put a piece of silicone tube over it.

Or call hobbico and order the heli style smooth ratchet kit for ~ $5.

Quote:
The Futaba web site says the pitch and throttle are 5 point. As I asked before I wonder if the distance between the curves are changeable. The 10j is 5 point, equally spaced and not changeable. My 10chg is changeable between each point. Or you can delete all but the first and last point.
Ooops, missed that question.

The answer is yes and yes. All 5 points of the curve can be moved forward and back in the horizontal axis, or any of them can be deleted altogether... so you could make a complex curve, or if you wanted a straight line you could delete the 3 middle points and make point 1 -100 and point 5 +100 for example.

There is also a pitch trim function that can be assigned to a knob and allow you to fine tune the hover point in flight. I typically turn that off.

Quote:
I see the new 14sg is sold with the r7008sb receiver. Is there a difference between the r3008sb(10j) and the r7008sb. Read, do I also need to buy the r7008sg?
EDIT: I made a big mistake about the 3008. Its T-FHSS not S-FHSS

R7008SB is FASSTest protocol.
R3008SB is T-FHSS protocol. (looks like it wont work actually )

(there are others: S-FHSS and FASST, predecessor to FASSTest without telemetry)

S-FHSS is Futaba's budget spread spectrum modulation. FASSTest is their high end proprietary protocol. From what I have read supposedly FASST/FASSTest have a more robust link with better channel picking and error rejection, but its mostly secondhand info... you would probably want to do some research before deciding.

In any case, the 14SG supports 3 protocols (S-FHSS, FASST, FASSTest). The 14SG typically comes with one R7008SB receiver in the box.

Last edited by jharkin; 01-16-2015 at 08:42 AM..
jharkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are great!
Working on posting some esc's and Tx's here and ebay, NOT trying to sell here. I don't do that. We'll see. If I can't get the money from liquidating my gear I just wont get it. After all, all I ever wanted was altitude telemetry. When I'm way up there and going to descend there are times when I can't tell if I'm stuck in a rip tide of wind or if I'm coming down. In the high mountains I almost lost my copter with asymmetrical blades.
Again, thanks for your great replies. Its much appreciated. Off to work, again.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had to throw this in. I got out with the copter and the 10j for the first time today.The 10j felt like I was driving in a cheap small car. Big buyers remorse on that one. Feel like saying to hell with the telemetry and go back to the old set up. Seriously. Unless I can put together the 14sg.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I sold the 10J and a new Jive 80+HV esc. With that I bought a new 14sg with a 7008 Rx. Sure is a sweet transmitter. The options and flexibility of the software/firmware(?) is top notch. With the day glow orange rubber stick grips it feels just like my 10CHG. That is a transmitter I truly loved, even now. It will go up for sale soon, I think. Maybe a second copter?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The more you use your T14SG the more you will like it, possibly even more-so than your trusty 10CG.

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilliHeli View Post
The more you use your T14SG the more you will like it, possibly even more-so than your trusty 10CG.
The 10C is a 15 year old design and does not have the modern programming structure. I always thought that it was way over priced for what you get. I like the 14SG so much that I now have two of them. It’s definitely one of the best radios that Futaba has manufactured.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in