Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason O'Connell View Post
I made it clear that the 550U is a 6hvU with a different motor, boom, boom supports, belt, blades, and canopy in my post this morning.

If no hate then please quit with insulting us.
Not trying to start another argument by any means so please forgive if this comes out that way.

But I personally don't see Compass doing anything different than any other heli manufacture in the industry.

The parts are there from an extremely proven heli (6HVU) that is a benchmark for 600's to some people.

Compass took the 6HVU and made a few new components to convert to a 550 as a whole kit instead of having to piece together bits here and there !

So for me Compass did it yet again with another great heli to go along with there existing line up of high end helicopters!

It all makes sense to me to use whats already proven in an air frame and build on it (in this case shrink it ) to make an I'm sure another fabulous 6s machine!

Now all I have is an Atom 500 but I am going to add the 550U in the next little while. I don't take Compass as a company that will cut corners just to sell a new kit .

Any way that's my 2 cents worth. GO COMPASS!
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #122 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBri3 View Post
Not trying to start another argument by any means so please forgive if this comes out that way.

But I personally don't see Compass doing anything different than any other heli manufacture in the industry.

The parts are there from an extremely proven heli (6HVU) that is a benchmark for 600's to some people.

Compass took the 6HVU and made a few new components to convert to a 550 as a whole kit instead of having to piece together bits here and there !

So for me Compass did it yet again with another great heli to go along with there existing line up of high end helicopters!

It all makes sense to me to use whats already proven in an air frame and build on it (in this case shrink it ) to make an I'm sure another fabulous 6s machine!

Now all I have is an Atom 500 but I am going to add the 550U in the next little while. I don't take Compass as a company that will cut corners just to sell a new kit .

Any way that's my 2 cents worth. GO COMPASS!
Thank you bro!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I made it clear that the 550U is a 6hvU with a different motor, boom, boom supports, belt, blades, and canopy in my post this morning.

If no hate then please quit with insulting us.
Please indicate exactly where Sunbeam-Ti has 'insulted you'.

I have read through the posts and all I can see is that the guy has asked a series of questions to try and ascertain the origins of some of the components.

Ok, fair enough he remarked that the canopy is horrid but that is a personal opinion which I feel the guy is perfectly entitled to.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A True 550 from Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidan View Post

I have read through the posts and all I can see is that the guy has asked a series of questions to try and ascertain the origins of some of the components.

Ok, fair enough he remarked that the canopy is horrid but that is a personal opinion which I feel the guy is perfectly entitled to.

Post #105.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #125 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:

Calling us lazy, inferring that we use 3rd parts suppliers just because he does not like the look of the heli, and stating opinions IN ALL CAPS comes across as an attempt to insult.

The 550U was my baby and I pushed super hard to get it released to give you guys more options to fly from Compass. I can't help but to take it personally when someone infers that we do not care and we just threw something together and had a third party make it.

If you hang around this forum you know that I have no problem answering questions and helping in any way I can. That said if someone starts taking shots at me or Compass why should I have to keep quiet?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyd View Post
Post #105.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you should re-read post #105.

The lazy comment is debatable but overall I find nothing that could be construed as insulting taking the post as a whole. I've seen insulting posts on HF and this is not one of them (IMO).

Look at the praise for Compass in the second paragraph.

I think he's a bit concerned that the 550U is not a ground-up new build and I can certainly understand that. Compass have produced some absolute cracking helis over the years and given the popularity of 550 class at the moment I personally would have liked to have seen a fresh new design. I appreciate it may be completely acceptable to shrink down a current design but why blend in with the crowd when with some effort you can produce something truly different and outstanding (like 3D Plus, which I own).
Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam-TI View Post

There is no hate here, I'm just trying to dig down and find out what exactly the 550U is and where the parts have come from in the Compass line-up ??
Checkout the Compass 550 Page on the Compass Website.

I cut and pasted the text below from the Description section of the link above and took the liberty of highlighting (in bold) what I think are the new components unique to the 550U. Not included in the items highlighted below is the new belt :

The 550 Ultimate is the consistent further development of the 6HV Ultimate. The details make the model maintenance- and assembly-friendly or are for a better flight-performance. The 550U has got a third bearing block and the screws of the arm links are M4 diameter. Aluminium brackets are mounted into the carbon side frames so the assembly of the servos is fast and easy and the ESC got his own mount. Some fixing points for the wires are milled into the new two-part side frames. This reduces the cost in case of an crash and makes the helicopter easy to fix. The tail is widely used from the 7HV Ultimate and got an aluminium tail control arm, a 6mm tail shaft, reinforced tail blade grips and a stainless tail center hub. The most distinctive features are the new canopy leant to the design of the Warp360 and the new 25mm tail boom. The automatic belt tensioner first used in the 7HV is also used in the 550 Ultimate. Much more details like the notches for the velcro tapes, the head button, the canopy quick-releases, a new motor mount, the cf tail control rod and a new high-quality, helical delrin main gear make a perfect overall package. Get inspired by the all new 550U design!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Calling us lazy, inferring that we use 3rd parts suppliers just because he does not like the look of the heli, and stating opinions IN ALL CAPS comes across as an attempt to insult.

The 550U was my baby and I pushed super hard to get it released to give you guys more options to fly from Compass. I can't help but to take it personally when someone infers that we do not care and we just threw something together and had a third party make it.

If you hang around this forum you know that I have no problem answering questions and helping in any way I can. That said if someone starts taking shots at me or Compass why should I have to keep quiet?
Did you contribute anything to the 6HVU's development??
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you state 'all new' then one would expect 'all new'.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #130 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
Did you contribute anything to the 6HVU's development??
The 6hvU was designed by Sebastian Zajonz using what we learned from the 6hv v1, along with his unique design style, and other design features from the 7hv (which he also designed). We had a test group here in North America as well as one overseas. We all worked together during testing to solve problems and add improvements. I think the whole group is very proud of the final product and the fact that we were all able to contribute to it's development.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A True 550 from Compass?

I've been flying compass heli's for some time now. And what I like about them, is they are built like tanks. On top of that, pricing is reasonable, and not overpriced. I've owned the 7HVU, and the 6HVU, and even though they share some parts, they are completely different, and excellent heli's. They are both proven designs. I love my 6HVU including the parts it has inherited from its big brother. I personally am not considering the 550U because I have the 6HVU. But I think it's great that I can get that same great Heli in a smaller package if desired. If a shorter boom, different motor and batteries makes the 6HVU an excellent 550, then why not? Why waste time and money to develop something completely different?
I haven't seen the 550U in person, but knowing it's basically a destretched 6HVU, I don't know how you couldn't like it. Your missing out on an excellent Heli.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
9K4O
breathe rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think you should re-read post #105.

The lazy comment is debatable but overall I find nothing that could be construed as insulting taking the post as a whole. I've seen insulting posts on HF and this is not one of them (IMO).

Look at the praise for Compass in the second paragraph.

I think he's a bit concerned that the 550U is not a ground-up new build and I can certainly understand that. Compass have produced some absolute cracking helis over the years and given the popularity of 550 class at the moment I personally would have liked to have seen a fresh new design. I appreciate it may be completely acceptable to shrink down a current design but why blend in with the crowd when with some effort you can produce something truly different and outstanding (like 3D Plus, which I own).
His way of stating his dissatisfaction with what compass has done clearly goes against the HF motto. It has been clearly stated what this helicopter is and how it evolved. I am sorry if sunshine missed it.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam-TI View Post
This 'new' 550U looks like a total 'hack job' from the parts bin !

I was hoping for a model that looked in proportion. everything looks 'beefy' but not in a good way. It all looks like what it is, robbed from other bigger models, LAZZZZZY !!!
If I were involved in the 550U project, I'd sure as heck be insulted by the comments above.

Heck, I have no ties to the heli and I found the quote above as rude. The poster may have not actually meant it in this manner, but to me it sure did come across that way to me the first time I read it. I'm not sure I could take the wording of 'hack job' any other way than in a derogatory or insulting manner.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do agree that the wording (hack job in quotes and lazy in caps for emphasis) came off derogatory.

However, and this is just my opinion, I don't necessarily see a problem with something being "hacked" together if the end result comes out nicely. A good example of this is my Atom 5.5... I don't even see it under the official Compass Catalog but to me this heli is just fine as it is, hacked or not. As a matter of fact I even have a slight preference for my 5.5 over the original 500. So whoever came up with this hack (others may prefer to call it modification) to stretch the Atom 500, kudos to you
Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see what this guys problem is !! He's even started it on another forum.
Compass has only done what other manufactures have done and use the basic parts for cost issues. Mikado, synergy, outrage and kds all have 550-600 helis that are the same platform !!

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
pugdavey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

i dont see any problem with taking a heli that was 100% succesful and using it as a platform for the next size down. like already said before, the 6hvu has more of a 550ish frame size anyway. i can agree that im not in love with the color scheme of the 550u, but im sure new styles will eventually be released. other than that, im sure its an awesome heli just like the 6hvu is and i dont see how the fact that it shares a lot of its parts changes that in any way.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Here is Jenny brandt flying it

JENNY BRANDT (18) WITH THE MODEL HELICOPTER COMPASS 550 3D AEROBATICS / Taiga Meeting 2014 (4 min 47 sec)
felixthemaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hadn't really paid this thread any attention before. Of course the 550 is a spin-off. So? And the Goblin 630 wasn't? The E6 wasn't?

I believe our hobby tends to attract a certain kind of personality that craves "new". Completely "new" is more exciting, 'cause it's not the familiar. Akin to the old-school term "getting some strange". . The quick turnover rate of models is evidence to this fact. Some great models have been very shortlived. Not all deserve to survive, but I recognize that companies evaluate the payback for the development time and cost of completely new models.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent Flying!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi guys!

I'm putting a shopping list together for my new 550U. I want it as a practice heli for advanced sport and mild 3D

I already have LiPos and the FBL system + receiver. So whats left is:
  • Compass 550 Ultimate with main blades
  • Optional kit to make it non-DFC
  • Xnova 4025-1120KV 1.5Y 6mm/36mm
  • Hobbywing Brushless Regler Platinum 100A V3, 2-6s
  • Hitec Heli Servo Pack 3x HS-8330SH + HSG-8315BH
  • SAB CFK Heckrotorblätter 95 mm, Red Devil

What do you think? Did I forget anything?

What I'm not quite sure is
  • size of the tail blades: whats the standard max & min size for the 550U
  • motor: The Kv should be alright but I'm not sure about the shaft diameter and length.
  • pinion: Does the kit come with the 10T?
  • servos: I know they are not high class servos... but are they the right case size and decent power for the 550U?

Any help highly appreciated
Soko
soko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in