Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question convert 450seV2 into 450sportV2

I am new at this so please correct if I am wrong but it looks like the 450seV2 is becoming a bit of a dinosaur and is not manufactured anymore. I would like to slowly convert my SE over to a 450sportV2 but I have no parts to compare in this area. After my first crash I am rebuilding tail. So lets start there. Keep in mind I am only looking at the two manuals to compare and need helifreak communities help with actual measurements or experience.
-I will start with installing the sportV2 tail block assembly (plastic) into the SE?
-Want sportV2 tail boom stabilizer bars so that they become closer to tail rudder for better overall support of tail (pretty sure they look longer than se)? This includes installing sportV2 stabilizer mount (Metal). Had tail stabilization issues before, pretty sure its bad gyro cause its got crack in cover from when heli was purchased used...so gy520 on its way. Also changing s9650 with s9257 to eliminate that as problem. Do i need a voltage regulater (5.1V okay or need 4.8V?) for these servo's cause there not one now?
-Tail rudder assembly seems straight forward. Version with no pully!
-Also will install sport battery tray on front se frame so I can also get RCE under baterry tray...looks like it will fit?
Probably the biggest discussion here is the tail block assembly...is bolt pattern the same...is the space between SE frames the same as sport? I will drill hole if need be.
Hoping for some replies before I place order! Thanks in advance.
The next time I crash I will do the frame! Hows this for a plan?
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have exactly the answers for your questions, nonetheless you can find it interesting.

I had a Storm 450 (that's a semi-clone of the Trex 450 SE, still older than the 450 SE V2) that I could update some stuff, notably the skids and the main rotor:

The main rotor here is from a clone of the old Trex 450 Sport ("V1"). This rotor uses the still current 51x4mm feathering shaft, that's a bit longer than the SE V2 feathering shaft and is expected to perform a bit better.

Compare it with a stock Storm 450, that's very Trex 450 SE'ish. Note how the rotor hub is narrower, and the linkages are old-fashioned:

I bet you can fit a lot of parts of the old Sport 450 ("V1") into a 450 SE V2, however the Sport V2 can be a different story.

Another possibly good idea is to get an aftermarket FBL head (Tarot, ALZRC) and a controller, so all the "old world" bolted to your main shaft will be as good as gone.

As far as I know, the current Sport/Pro tail rotor (with weighted grips) still fits the Trex 450 SE V2, because the latest Storm 450s were shipped with it.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honestly, Id just buy a whole new kit.

Align really nickel and dimes you for parts... so if you do the math and consider the value- its better to just buy the new kit and get ALL the new stuff.

The motor, speed control, servos, head and blades and gears are all better.

By the time you upgraded all the parts indivdually, you could've bought a brand new heli.

Plus thats a great chance to get a FBL system.

You can buy a DFC Pro for 450.00... the 3GX costs 230.00 by itself.

Plus the Pro frame is superior to the past models.
dwdw910 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. You can use Sport tail block on SE. I'm not sure if the battery tray screw holes line up. I will check it for you when I get home in a bit.

Futaba S9257 runs with 5.1v, no need to add the voltage step down. I am actually running it at 6V w/o any issue.

Width of the frame is same for SE and Sport.
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For just over $100 you can buy a Tarot 450 Pro kit.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameci View Post
Yes. You can use Sport tail block on SE. I'm not sure if the battery tray screw holes line up. I will check it for you when I get home in a bit.

Futaba S9257 runs with 5.1v, no need to add the voltage step down. I am actually running it at 6V w/o any issue.

Width of the frame is same for SE and Sport.
nameci...Thank you thats what I wanted to hear about the block and no step down. The more I examine the two heli manuals the more I think you could bolt either top or bottom of either frame to one another. Wish I had some frames to put side by side. This project is getting exciting. I must control myself and only do the tail for now!! Cant wait to here about the battery mount hole placements.
As for dwdw910...If I buy a new heli my wife will find out and the . If I slowly convert it over she won't figure out my plan, tee hee. Then before you know it I'll have mostly sport v2 parts around too. The more complex and inventive the build the better. For now I need a new tail and sport v2 it is!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sport battery tray fits on SE frame. Just checked on my old beater SEv2 with Sport battery tray from my spare Sport airframe.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sport battery tray fits on SE frame. Just checked on my old beater SEv2 with Sport battery tray from my spare Sport airframe.
Thankyou for checking. I have the opportunity for a metal tail block assembly for the same price as plastic. There is a metal one on now. I am not all that interested in adding wieght but good support for tail might be good. Sport unit holds tail and pully assembly too .
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Sport-type boom mount replaces the metal boom block and the upper and lower tail drive mounts of the SEV2. Tarot (and possibly others) make the Sport-type boom mount in aluminium and it works well. I can't comment about the Sport V2 parts, but I have one heli with the Align 450 Sport plastic boom mount and one with the Tarot aluminum version - both worh well and assembly is easier. You do loose the nice ALIGN engraving of the SEV2 boom block though - I think Align spared no expense on the Original SEV2 kits (what with the aluminium case for a box and all )

With the plastic version, just make sure it clamps the boom firmly. if not wrap tape around the end of the boom before inserting into the boom block or (more time consuming) carefully sand some material off the boom blocks where they mate up to ensure better clamping
maraispc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your valued support. All parts are on order including a metal Tail Boom Assembly. Yes I do like the seV2 it seems to be a well built machine and easy enough to work on. Now just need to get it back together and learn to fly!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a sport head assembly on a V2 frame. The problem I had was that the swash plate is a bit larger diameter, and caused interference with the anti-rotation bracket. I actually had to drill two new holes in the frames about a 1/8" out or so to get it to work... but other than that I had no other problems. Flew with much more responsiveness.
dlasich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't get any good before pictures but here are a couple phone pics. Landed heli on it's side from 40ft in the air...the tail wouldn't hold well then a gust of wind came up spun the tail right around after that is was just peer disorientation! Good thing I had my heavy duty out riggers on because they took the brunt of it. Guess more calm flight time is needed. Just couldn't help myself I was board of hovering. It was still about 5min of joy!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130117_231350.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	387220

Name:	20130117_230417.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	387221

Name:	20130117_230337.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	387222
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch... Sorry to hear..

Time to rebuild and upgrade again.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlasich View Post
I put a sport head assembly on a V2 frame. The problem I had was that the swash plate is a bit larger diameter, and caused interference with the anti-rotation bracket. I actually had to drill two new holes in the frames about a 1/8" out or so to get it to work... but other than that I had no other problems. Flew with much more responsiveness.
That's interesting and good to know. Maybe when I crash again my head will destruct and I can try it. Thanks for the info. Did you use a sport main shaft or seV2. What shaft bearing blocks were used or does it really matter? So you basically had to move the anti rotation bracket back a little?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ouch... Sorry to hear..

Time to rebuild and upgrade again.
Sorry, guess I should have stated that was the pics from the only and original crash. Just thought I would post them while I'm waiting for parts.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default convert 450seV2 into 450sportV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rav 450 View Post
Thanks for your valued support. All parts are on order including a metal Tail Boom Assembly. Yes I do like the seV2 it seems to be a well built machine and easy enough to work on. Now just need to get it back together and learn to fly!
+1

Easy to work on. Easy to find parts. Flies good. Could always convert to FBL.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay,so now the tail is on. My sev2 is now a sport v2 from the tail block assembly back. Longer tail support rods, new tail rotor assembly and a one piece tail block assembly are the main changes here. I had no complications at all and everything fit. The pic has the old tail stabilizer on it but just because I am still waiting for the new stabilizer mount. I am going to rearrange the wiring now that I also have a tarot sport v2 battery mount that I have not put on yet. I will post more pics latter. Ok...never mind...won't let mechoose a file so I'll try another time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in