Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Old 01-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
hANDYman
Registered Users

Default Airbrush recommendation

Hey guys,

I'm currently building a 1/5 scale J3 Cub (I know... blasphemous) and I was looking to get an airbrush for the bit of painting that I need to do. I've also been thinking it would be nice to try out painting my own canopies and see how that goes.

Anyway, one of the local shops carries Iwata and Paasche. The Paasche are fairly inexpensive, but don't really impress me in terms of quality. In the Iwata brand they have the Revolution and the Eclipse. Just wondering if one is better than the other, and what would make it worth the extra money.

They are both gravity fed, internal mixing, dual action airbrushes as far as I can tell. The Revolution has a 0.5mm needle while the Eclipse has a 0.35mm needle, but I'm not really sure what that means in terms of use.

This will obviously be my first, and I'd rather get something with decent quality (that I can "grow into" and continue to use if I choose to progress) rather than go cheap, then end up buying something else down the road.

Just wondering if the Revolution would fit the bill, or if it's better to go with the Eclipse.

It might be cool to try some of the more advanced effects down the road like real flames, or water drops, so just wondering if either of these would limit me down the road.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 01-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Raleighcopter
Registered Users

I've got a paasche h that I use for shooting lacquer and enamel. It's a workhorse.
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
hANDYman
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, but looking at the Paasche H, it looks like it's a single action external mix airbrush. I'd like to get a dual action internal mix and was more interested in hearing how the Revolution and the Eclipse compare. I realize that I don't need the best airbrush our there, but I would like to only have to buy once.

If the Revolution will do it all (be good enough for more advanced effects like real flames, etc, if I choose to try more advanced stuff) then I would likely go for it since it's a bit cheaper. But if the Eclipse is worth the extra money, for one reason or another, then I don't mind spending the bit extra.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
cnk
Registered Users

I use an Iwata HP-C Plus for my static models. Been very happy with it. The key is a good air compressor with a regulator and moisture catch.
cnk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
hANDYman
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

For what it's worth, I ended up getting an Iwata Revolution CR.

I picked it up at one of the LHS close to work after talking with one of the guys there. He piqued my interest with an introductory grade NEO, but it turns out it isn't made by Iwata, it's made for them in China. So I went with the slightly more expensive Japanese made Revolution. It seems to have fairly good reviews and should be more than enough for what I expect to do with it.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques