Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions

Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
LN400
Registered Users

Default Pushrod or no pushrod?

Today I found myself wondering about the tail push rod and if it's strictly necessary to have one in the first place. A possible solution could be to mount a servo so that the servo arm is the tail pitch arm one would normally connect to the push rod.

There is at least one possible con:
A servo that far out on the boom would shift CoG. Question is will it have to be too much weight too far aft with a servo powerful enough to control tail pitch?

Possible pros: Fewer links that could pop and with fewer things to adjust like push rod length there would be a simpler mechanical setup.

I say possible and would like to hear what you think. Would the cons out-weight the pros and would there be pros in the first place? Would it be technically feasable and would it offer any benefits?
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
desertstalker
Registered Users

A servo is pretty heavy, placed all the way out at the end of the boom and you are looking at quite a bit of weight.

A 60g servo 5x the distance from the CoG compared to the ballast (battery usually), would require 300g to balance it. The tail could be even further out than that so the weight adds up pretty fast.

It would also reduce the flip rate (for a given cyclic input) as the mass is now farther from the axis of rotation. It is best to keep the tail as light as possible.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
oneonesip
Registered Users

great information, but I could try this first
oneonesip is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
jaybyrd
Registered Users

Good thinking.

But also ever tail tap might result in a jacked up tail servo, that might get expensive real quick.

But also I have a forward CoG now, so maybe moving the tail servo back some would center the overall weight? Hmm.
jaybyrd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
anthony7820
Registered Users

I did it on my old Raptor 60. It worked and there was very little flex in the pushrod (because it was about a half inch long. I just ran a long extension back to the boom with some zipties. It looked different and seemed to work fairly well. As long as you put the servo underneath the boom so the blades hit the boom and not the servo first .

That being said, I got rid of my Raptor and now have an Avant with the servo where it is meant to be, running a pushrod
anthony7820 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
R_Lefebvre
Registered Users

I've done this on a camera-ship that needs the weight back there anyway. Works well.

Managing Director
NOVAerial Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
zoraya
Registered Users

minuta de hierba.
zoraya is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
ticedoff8
Registered Users

It depends on your goal.
If wild, smack style 3D is the goal, you want as much mass centrally located as close to the center of rotation on all three axis
The center of rotation on a conventional helicopter is the main rotor head block for cyclic and the main mast for rotation.
That's why the motor, batteries and servos are mounted close to the main blades.

If you want sedate, then just replace the tail drive, tail servo and all the mechanical stuff with a brushless motor and the tail rotor ESC. Like the small helis.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
dewafitnes
Registered Users

vote for pushrod
dewafitnes is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions