Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Reviving a budget 250

OK, so after a spell spending more attention on Race Quads, I want to update my Helicopters. Have a couple of Budget 250 TRex clones, and would like to convert from FB to FBL. (Using anything that will fit that is in keeping with the budget price!)

And that's where I'm stuck, as in the UK the 250 class in TRex style seems to have all but disappeared, parts being either OOS, no longer made, or phenomenally and prohibitably expensive in the case of TRex DFC.

I have the FBL electronics, so all I need is the head and if DFC poss a shorter shaft. Obviously best if UK sourced, but any ideas please?
bravedan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravedan View Post
OK, so after a spell spending more attention on Race Quads, I want to update my Helicopters. Have a couple of Budget 250 TRex clones, and would like to convert from FB to FBL. (Using anything that will fit that is in keeping with the budget price!)

And that's where I'm stuck, as in the UK the 250 class in TRex style seems to have all but disappeared, parts being either OOS, no longer made, or phenomenally and prohibitably expensive in the case of TRex DFC.

I have the FBL electronics, so all I need is the head and if DFC poss a shorter shaft. Obviously best if UK sourced, but any ideas please?
IMO the cheapest option is to just find a good clean used DFC and sell the old one. I've been picking up DFC 250s on the forums for between $75 and $100 with electronics and FBL included.

The other option is to go with a CopterX 250 from Banggood, they run about $45-55 depending on what kind of coupon you can find. The quality is spotty though and you might get a good one or a bad one.

As you've found, there are no real clear options.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get a CopterX head assembly from eHirobo for about $20.00 USD. It comes from China but doesn't take too long. I use it on my Trex250 because I don't like the DFC head. It comes with a shaft but I use it with the shorter DFC shaft, There is just barely enough length with the shorter shaft and has a cleaner look. I'd post a link but their site is down right now.
Murph_d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend you get involved in the CopterX kits. They have a frustrating habit of turning into money pits--you'll be far better served by just coughing up for genuine Align parts, or even going the Oxy2 route (it's due on at the end of the month).
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I cannot, in good conscience, recommend you get involved in the CopterX kits. They have a frustrating habit of turning into money pits--you'll be far better served by just coughing up for genuine Align parts, or even going the Oxy2 route (it's due on at the end of the month).
Agree, just look at my thread.

I upgrading mine to align DFC, but found the copterx swashplate didnt work well with it, it just wobbled around, i swapped to the dfc swashplate and now it flies fine.

The only remaining bits that are copterx in mine, is the frame except for lower frame which i changed for the align plastic bottom frame and seperate landing gear, HIghly recomend the align landing skids, they get the heli higher of the ground, Canopy and ESC + Motor.

I could have probably still used the tail unit (but for how long??) as i was replacing parts trying to get it flying.

The problem i ran into on mine, is with the glitchy copterx FBL unit it flew fine using the stock crappy slow anologue servos with some tweaking. I changed to a kbar and it refused to fly well no matter how much tweaking with the slow servos even on the cyclic . I ended up putting tunrigy tgy-313c servos on the cyclic and 306 hv on the tail and finally it flew.

The dfc head is reasonably priced, good quality and its been solid for what 30 flights? The swashplate im less inpressed with. it was tight as a button but loosened of after several flights and now has alot of slop.

Im not sure theres a cheap way of converting to FBL if you want it to fly right. I may be wrong but servos that worked on the FB setup may not be as good on FBL.
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should be able to throw a DFC main shaft and head on it, then adjust the servo links as needed to center the swash. My Align swashplates have remained tight for hundreds of flights. On the other hand, my CopterX swash and rotor head were unusable right from the start.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravedan View Post
(Using anything that will fit that is in keeping with the budget price!)

.all I need is the head and if DFC poss a shorter shaft. Obviously best if UK sourced, but any ideas please?
In keeping with the OP's request, here's that link:

http://www.ehirobo.com/copterx-parts...licopters.html

By the way, it has worked great for me for over a year
Murph_d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ill need to post a video of my swash plate. At what point do i replace it?

Anyway be warned if you order from eharibo. Dont expect any customer service support. They failed to respond to any of my messages.

The copter x electronics were on sale (probably still arel and i know why. They want rid of all the stock.

I compomained asking for a refund and got zip back. In my eyes the only thing fit for purpose is the motor and esc which have been fine though probably not as efficiebt as a better esc and motor.
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in