Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #41
zeeflyboy
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

whats new...

Firstly I've done a bit more work on the nose... please excuse the untidy appearance! I'll tidy it up later, although I'm not sure why since it'll be hidden behind the floor/dash section anyway.

I fibreglassed the central section with a few layers of 25gm cloth and wrapped it around the corners of the mount. It's all very solidly locked in there now and is much more rigid than before.

I then added a riser section to the forward floor mounting block and created a fibreglass bridge panel. This serves two purposes - firstly it provides a platform for the pan servo and secondly it creates a totally rigid triangle that removes any play in the mount... The lower part of the block attaches to the floor section which is then also attached at two points either side at the rear. End result is a totally solid and strong mount for hanging a camera from.... jobsa.

In other news, Shapeways has finally failed me. I got an email today about my delayed EzUHF cradle and turns out the dying process didn;t work very well leaving it with inconsistent colour. They gave me the option of accepting as is, asking for a re-print or a refund with store credit... I have asked for a refund as I will then print again with a slightly updated design... means more delays but hey ho, I'm not in a rush.

They did however seem to come through on the other components just slightly late - The dash console, Collective stick, Rudder mechanism and vTX coolers should all have been delivered today to my GF's address in the UK. Hopefully she'll send me some pics later that I can share with you!

And lastly for this post, I have received some rather encouraging news that suggests I will be able to play with 16 channels. 16... muhahahahahahaaaaaa!!!! I won;t go into details just yet until the details are hashed out and finalised but I've already been thinking about allocations:

Ch1 aileron
Ch2 elevator
Ch3 throttle
Ch5 rudder
Ch6 Naza flight mode
Ch7 HT Pan
Ch8 HT Tilt
Ch9 - Pod Pan (joystick)
Ch10 - Pod Tilt (joystick)
Ch11 - OSD control (3 pos)
Ch12 - DElight controller (3Pos)
Ch13 - Pico switch nav light (2 pos)
Ch14 - Video switch (2 pos)
Ch15 - Sabertooth dual 5A motor driver (miniguns) (2pos)
Ch16 - HK multi switch (missile tubes) (2 pos) or RSSI/LQ

DElight controller:

Ch1-3 unused
Ch4 - cockpit roof lighting (on at 50-100%)
Ch5 - main landing light (on at 50-100%)
Ch6 - aux landing lights (on at 80-100%)
Ch7 - beacons (always on)
Ch8 - unused

I'm thinking now that I am going to separate my power systems too. The gryphon is rated for some serious current draw and would probably be fine but with all screens, nav lights, high powered landing lights, OSD + GPS, naza + GPS, cameras, servos, miniguns etc running from it I'm getting slightly concerned lol.

My thoughts are to break it down into the following:

Essential bus - powered by gryphon. All flight critical systems (servos, rx, Naza + GPS, cameras, OSD + GPS)

Non essential bus - powered by a second HV bec. All non critical systems (lights, miniguns, screens, vTX cooling fans)

Battery Bus (6S) - vTX direct connection to flight pack 1

Battery bus (12S) - Gryphon + other HV bec.

In addition, either a buffer pack or scorpion UPS back up for the essential bus. The scorp is pretty cool - a 2S lipo with built in regulator that just sits there and waits. When your rail drops below 5v it kicks in and starts supplying juice.... undecided which option is better for now.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Here's a quick fun pic, my lovely little 130X has found a new friend. I still think the FLIR pod is looking a bit big - the re-designed one is much smaller so I'll try both and see which I prefer and how the performance differs.

Oh and the door is the green I have decided to go with for the heli... I just wanted to try it out lol. That'll all be sanded off again as part of the smoothing/finishing/priming process... at least I know the airbrushes work and the colour looks good to me!

Oh and check out this video. This is from a guy flying on a 320x240 Quark Thermal camera which would easily fit in a pod smaller than the one there.... only problem is I need about $5000 and to fill out a load of ITAR paperwork since it's classified as military technology :o

Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #43
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

So, the GF has been a lovely girl and taken plenty of pics of the new parts this morning. You may be asking why the colours, and there are two reasons. Firstly, shapeways were offering a discount on the colours since they had just added a new printer with higher resolution and improved dying quality so it saved me a few pennies. Secondly, for the dash it will have led lights inside and I figured that having a dark dye would help stop any light leakage without having to do too many layers of paint.... unfortunately they don't do a polished black yet so I had to go with blue.

The imrc fan coolers are red because anything imrc had to be red

Anyway, butt load of pics here... looks pretty good to me!

the gaggle of bits

Dash console:

Collective stick and housing:

Rudder pedal assembly:

IMRC vTX coolers:

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Just got back to UK and this was waiting for me, my new toy! Courtesy of g.collins on FPVhub...

The spindle should be arriving next week and I'm going to just buy a cheap shuttle pc off ebay and bung a parallel port PCI card in it (it runs off parallel, not serial). Then I just need to figure out how to use the damn thing lol, it's all a bit complicated looking to be honest but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

The first project will be a nice simple one to get me started - some frame braces for the motor area made out of 2.5mm CF plate. I had to cut away a lot of material to get the oversized motor to fit and I don't want it flexing, or worse breaking, under the heavy torque loads.

I'll then move on to some braces for the mounting points to spread the load from the standoffs to the plywood floor and provide some more equipment mounting points, and then some battery trays... then we'll see what else I can manage to do!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #45
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

here's a pic of my dash with front panel installed. The glare shield will be black and the body will be the same grey as the fascia panel

And I'm really chuffed with how this little thing came out...

Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

I'm back in the UK and can't do too much for the next week or two but I brought my laptop so I can keep up some work in solidworks!

I've decided I will have two "auxiliary" landing lights to complement the main one, and I have designed a small housing for them. This is designed to fit the 20mm Light units from flytron, and I have 2 x 60 degree ones on the way. They will be fitted to the underside of the heli and can be angled as required to get the best light coverage.

LED wise they will be running a 1w led like the main one, for a total of 3w in the forward lights (not much compared to Hugo's 300W beast, but should be pretty good still!)

So here are the units:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/78029...0fc5e40d9f?li=

And this is the LED unit from flytron that will slot inside.

On the subject of Lighting, I found this unit which will be the core of my lighting system... it's called the DElight and it's made by Dimension Engineering (they also have a number of useful looking radio controlled relay switches etc). It's pretty unique in how configurable it is, plus it includes 2 programmable high power channels which are good for 2 amps each.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ht-starter-kit

I will be running it from a 6 pole switch, which gives me 6 lighting options...

Position 1: All lights off
Position 2: Beacon on
Position 3: Beacon + Nav lights on
Position 4: Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit roof lights on
Position 4: Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit roof lights + Main landing light on
Position 5: Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit roof lights + Main landing light + Aux landing lights on

In addition to that, I've done some work on my weapons arms...

These are designed for two 8mm spars (either fibreglass, carbon fibre, or aluminium) to run through the main section which will mount them to the fuselage. These spars will run all the way through the heli so the arms will be uber tough and strong and should have no flex at all.

The outer section is attached via a hinge which allows the arm to fold up for space saving storage (the real ones can do this too, and I thought it was a good idea).

When down it's locked in place by 2 pairs of 6x2mm magnets... and gravity.

The panels will be made from 0.75mm fibreglass that will be precisely cut out using my new CNC machine

You can see the outer mount for the missile tube/hellfires and the inner mount for mini guns

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #47
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

I've been thinking about it, and someone on another forum suggested the servo city chain for the FLIR pan rather than normal servo linkages.

(here) http://www.servocity.com/html/plasti..._0_1227__.html

However, the small 0.1227" stuff is out of stock for at least a few weeks apparently - sad times. In the mean time I've designed these which *should* fit the chain.

I've made the one on the pod 14T and the one on the servo 28T... this way if I use a standard 90 degree servo the pod will have 180 degrees, or if I use a 180 degree servo I can get a full 360, but still have the thing return to centre when I centre the control.

Combined with a 90 degree servo in the tilt that will go from horizontal to straight down (not much point in looking up) the pod will be able to look pretty much anywhere.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/78459...7ddfbd8599?li=

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #48
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

And shapeways just have an incredible skill at delivering stuff when I'm not there....

So once again courtesy of the GF, here are some of the latest parts:

My new smaller FLIR unit:

My new improved pan/tilt (just some improved clearances, added middle bearing option, added cable tidy/back support, improved the camera fit, reduced the footprint of the camera mount a little, smooth some edges and added my name )

and a shoulder for the pilot (collective arm). This part has a 3x6x2.5mm bearing inserted in either side and will slot onto the 3mm carbon shaft I installed in the pilot's shoulder.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

So, not directly related but kinda cool... Here's the EzUHF mount I designed earlier.

I must say it looks to have come out great. They gave me a discount due to colour issues, but I can't really see any... Or at least under this light I can't.

It's pretty light, so won't add any noticeable weight to the controller but I'm impressed with how strong and rigid it feels.

Just need to wait till I get back on Monday before I can try slotting in my EzUHF and confirming the fit.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #50
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

a little video to share... got my CNC up and running and have officially just cut my first parts! Decided to keep things simple for the beginning...

They are the frame braces I've designed for beefing up the area where I cut away a lot of frame to fit my oversized motor... I made them out of 2.5mm carbon fibre, very stiff and strong. They look great, and a ruler suggests the size is spot on - we'll see how well I did with measuring it all in the first place when I get back tomorrow and can try it on the frame! Really excited that I can produce parts of such precision now and this is only getting started with it. Next up is figuring out the 3D side of machining rather than just this 2D stuff!

First up here are the braces after a quick wash down:

And heres the vid (with fitting sound track imo! sorry about the ads, apparently EMI are laying claim to the music.)

Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #51
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Here's a little update on a couple of bits...

The frame bracing:

So here in the first pic you can see how much carbon has been left where the motor mounts. Norra lorra is the technical term I believe.... since this is a big motor and driving a big 5 blade head, I would expect at best some flexing there which could lead to gear damage... at worst of course the frame could fail. Neither is good.

So here you can see the frame braces I machined fitted... cross braced by the lower bearing mount at the back and two aluminium cross sections at the front. Much better! Front end feels totally solid now when I try to twist it in my hands.

And here the EzUHF slipped into it's new home - fits just beautifully. I need to mount the module next but there's a complication regarding my plans... so that may have to wait. I have taken a picture to give an idea of how it looks attached to the back of the radio though.

I've just got one or two small tweaks I'd like to do to this design, then anyone who wants to can order it. I will also make the changes needed to fit the new EzUHF this weekend. I'll be releasing it at cost price (ie I make nothing on it) so I offer it on the basis that it's all at your own risk! Pay attention to the tabs on the module and make sure they can deal with the weight of the EzUHF and if you feel the need to mount it more securely, then perhaps make a small bracket or mount directly to your radio. It's at your own discretion.

Oh and some very interesting developments on the way for those of you who use EzUHF by the way... Immersion are doing some great stuff! More on that soon hopefully.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #52
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

here's a little look at the new FLIR pod - I have installed the camera (minus wires for now) and have been playing with getting the mechanism for tilt working. Dayum it's tight in there lol...

I've finally got it sorted though I think:

25x25mm camera installed, teeny tiny servo and some 1mm piano wire as a linkage... this is the upper extent of travel.

Full downwards extent:

And all fitted together (minus a front lens cover)

And here's a rough idea of how it sizes up to the heli. In real life it looks pretty good - much happier with the proportions... So if this works out with the chain and sprockets for pan, I should end up with 360 degrees pan (not continuous though... good because it stops the wires getting twisted up lol) and about 75 degrees of tilt.

Here's a quick vid of the tilt working.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #53
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

I finally got around to doing my Nav Lights... really happy with them and I think they'll look great. Much better than just jamming an LED in the end of the skid pipe. Gave them a quick test and they are pretty powerful - should be good!

Haven't quite figured out how I'm going to run the power wires down into the skids yet though. It would be easy to do by just running down the skid leg and into a hole but that wouldn't be tidy...

You may also notice the Auxiliary landing lights on the underside. These will be taking a 1W led in each with a 60 degree lens...

I also ordered my DElight controller the other day, so when that arrives I can start properly messing with my lighting system.

Also I got around to painting and installing my sleeker v2 pan/tilt unit.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Been rather busy with work lately so here's some not very exciting, albeit somewhat time consuming progress...

I finally got some of the filler primer I was waiting for (Gunze Mr White surfacer 1000), plus some Vallejo grey surface primer and so I've done some work on the heli...

First on my left door - a few coats of Mr White, sanded back then topped with the grey primer... the surface looks great now and is nice and smooth. Just need to get around to making the right door now....

and secondly, some finishing off after the reconstructive nose surgery... same deal - some Mr white, some sanding, then some primer.

And finally here's the dash primed and sanded with the Mr White (note all the small ridges from the 3D printing process... this part is the worst for showing them up out of all the bits I've had. I think they probably could have done a better job of positioning this for printing... never mind, just a bit more work!

and primed waiting for painting:

As an aside - I love using an Airbrush... really is the way to go if you're painting stuff. I've always just used rattle cans or rollers/brushes before.... airbrush is far better!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #55
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

today I played a bit with my new light controller...

it's a fantastic bit of kit called the DElight by dimension engineering and I must say I've been very impressed with it.

Put simply it has 8 outputs or "channels" as it calls them.

Channels 1-4 are fully programable - you can not only adjust the trip point at which they turn on/off, but also create sequences (eg x seconds on, x seconds off, y seconds on, y seconds off etc etc), adjust brightness, and also set the current allowed to the LED up to a maximum of 200ma... this latter point means you don't need resistors for the LEDs anymore! Just set the appropriate constant current for your LED and that's job done.

Channels 5-6 are high power channels which can cope with up to 2 amps each and are fully programmable too, but are effectively unrestricted - so to run off these channels you need to use resistors or LED drivers... I'm running my 1W main and aux landing lights from these channels and so I am using 350ma drivers for these lights.

Channels 7-8 are non-programmable "always on" channels.

So my setup will ultimately use a 6 position switch, but for now I'm just activating it using a pot.

position 1 - All off
position 2 - Beacon on
position 3 - Beacon + Nav lights
position 4 - Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit lights
position 5 - Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit lights + Main landing light
position 6 - Beacon + Nav lights + Cockpit lights + Main landing light + Auxiliary Landing lights

So here's a quick test:

I think this is a great bit of kit and really flexible... you can make it do pretty much whatever you want. If you're looking for a light controller I really suggest you take a look at this!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

today I found my Naza-H waiting for me... I ordered the combo kit with the GPS and BEC.

So I set about designing a few bits for it.

First up - an anti-vibration mount.... This unit will sandwich the Naza between 2 layers of omicron anti vibe gel. The square piece will be on the bottom and mount to the gyro mounting plate. There will then be four m3x25mm nylon standoffs to which the top plate will attach, with a strip of omicron gel along the span.

I'll probably make this out of some 2mm g10 since I just ordered a load.

Next up, the Naza GPS unit really needs to be well away from motors, servos, transmitters etc so I've decided I will make a sort of satellite communication antenna to hide it in. This lets me position it further back than I would be able to if I was just to hide it inside the boom, and should look pretty cool I think.

Roughly where it'll be situated:

and the design I've come up with (it has a hole through which to pass the GPS cable)

I also just made a quick design for a bottom plate that will help strengthen the fuselage floor and spread the load out a bit better from the standoffs.

And whipped up some battery plates.. these will be mounted to the side of the heli frame using some L brackets and keep the floor space more clear for other equipment... 2mm black G10 will be used for these and the brace above.

Aaaand finally, I drilled a hole in the front of the camera case and filed off any burrs... then fed the wires through and soldered them to the other side of the board on the camera, and secured the wires in place using some glue so they can't easily pull off the board or rub against the metal case... You can still pop the camera out and adjust the OSD settings by plugging the OSD into the back.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Ok... so what have I managed to do lately - norra lorra lol.

This was quite time consuming however! I dremelled a groove in the front landing strut and drilled a hole at the bottom to allow the wire into the skid tube.... glued the wire in place and then filled the remaining hole with flexible filler. Some sanding later and this was the result:

and then with a quick coat of primer:

Also, I wired up my eLogger v4 with EC5 connectors and also added the two small feed wires for the 2 HV BECs using EC2 connectors. They are hooked up downstream of the current sensor so all their usage will be included in the total.

But while I was at it, I decided one thing I really dislike about eagletree is the fact all their stuff is shrink wrapped PCB. While this saves weight and in some instances bulk, It makes it such a pain to mount neatly and solidly...

So here is a mounting case I designed for the eLogger:

And a case for the OSD Pro:

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #58
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Slight re-design on the legs - wire now runs almost to the top - I thought installation would be easier with it coming out where it was, but I was mistaken. They still need a little work with some sanding and spraying.

And in other news I just ordered this BAD BOY... seriously how awesome is that. Now I just need to find some more cashish somewhere for the spin blades 5-blade asymmetrical set to go with it.

I'm thinking it'll go nicely with this 4 blade tail

Other than that, one more eagletree case whipped up - a little one for the altimeter. I've made this so that with a touch of sealant on the back wher ethe plug comes out it can be totally isolated and fed from a static port line. This particular feature isn't really for this project it's for my eurofighter - I gain about 7-10 feet at full throttle due to the air being sucked through the fuselage.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #59
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

Couple more bits came today

First up my new gears for the FLIR pod. Now I just need the chain at servo city to ever come back into stock!

and the main bit - mounting arm frames...

Here's the pieces - the black rods are 8mm black fibreglass tube:

Whole lot weighs 78g and from tip to tip measures 50cm... or about 37cm when stowed.

And a couple of close ups

And here's the basic idea of my simple up-locking mechanism

In the down position it slots together and forms a rigid arm, to help keep it locked down there are two 6mmx2mm round magnets in each section. Now I just need to cut out the panels from 0.7mm fibreglass sheet using my CNC machine and then come up with a mounting brace that will run underneath the flooring section and hold the spars in place.

And if you're confused as to what the arms are for... here's a clue

Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #60
zeeflyboy
Registered Users

So, What have I learned about 5 blade heads today? that they are a pain in the butt! You have to do everything 5 damn times lol.

Anyway, few shots of the head. I have to say I'm pretty happy with it thus far - quality seems pretty good, especially considering the price point (300 euros may not sound cheap, but for a big 5 blade head like this it's actually a positive bargain) and there is only one things that really niggles me.... they used normal screws for the retaining bolts that are placed under shear load from the blades trying to fly off.. From an engineering standpoint they really should be shouldered.... easy enough to fix though I guess when I feel so inclined.

The parts arranged:

Each blade grip arm is properly fitted out with two radial bearings and a thrust bearing at the end. Very smooth bearings!

Swash:

No namby pamby plastic links on this head!

retaining bolts in place:

And finished - what a gorgeous lump of engineering!

And Here are my battery plates being cut out by my CNC machine... the G10 is much easier and less messy than CF to cut lol.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft